Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Northside Society!!!

Options
  • 17-09-2005 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I say we should have a northside society!!! I've seen loads of posts on here about how people are finding it hard to fit into UCD. I'm in the same boat, I'm in my third year and know people here and there but Ive never really fitted in properly. One of the reasons is my own fault, I should have made more of an effort to join societies and the like which I will do this year. HOWEVER, one of the things that annoys me about UCD, is that it seems like one big D4 club!, especially in arts.

I like the idea of a place where the 'normals' can gather and socialize freely, without the presence of the oh so commonplace oompa loompas and rugger boys whose daddy just bought them a new volkswagon golf! And there wouldn't be any nights to Bond ai either! It seems that people from the northside are relatively rare in UCD! :D:D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sounds like a plan, isolate the northsiders and quarantine them...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

Yeah we would need to be quarantined to get rid of all those D4 germs! They spread like wildfire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Make sure you don't charge for membership or none of you will be able to join.

I know its such a pity we dont have daddys credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sangre wrote:
    Make sure you don't charge for membership or none of you will be able to join.

Ouch, nice, lol :D

Sounds like a good idea for a club :) Can 1st years start clubs or socs, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Why dont you just drop out and go to blanch IT if you hate it so much? Im sure youll fit in far better there

hey DaveMcG lol hi lol hey lol funny post lol lol lol lol I love saying lol lol L O L lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In a college of 18,000 students there's room for everyone. It's just that the sheer volume of obnoxious D4heads can get on people's nerves sometimes. :p

I dont hate my course just the D4 mentality actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Not everyone from the southside in UCD is a D4 head

we`ve a lots of people in UCD from Tallaght, Crumlin, Clondalkin and Ballyfermot.

And being from the northside is not synonymous with being a 'scum bag'

• Advertisement

Not everyone from the southside in UCD is a D4 head we`ve a lots of people in UCD from Tallaght, Crumlin, Clondalkin and Ballyfermot

I dont mind them its the D4 ones that get my goat!! They are the most numerous in UCD for obvious reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

And being from the northside is not synonymous with being a 'scum bag

Exactly

Blut wrote:
    hey DaveMcG lol hi lol hey lol funny post lol lol lol lol I love saying lol lol L O L lol!!!

Uh-oh, it's the grammar police coming to ruin the fun again! :eek:

You poor thing, dry your tears and I'll try not to offend you by using acronyms anymore :(

Not everyone from the southside in UCD is a D4 head

we`ve a lots of people in UCD from...... Ballyfermot.

I'm from Ballyfermot.

Thanks for that man. :(

;)

we`ve a lots of people in UCD from Tallaght
    That would be both me and DaveMcG afaik :)

woohoo! :D *high five*

*high-fives back*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

taibhse wrote:
    I dont mind them its the D4 ones that get my goat!! They are the most numerous in UCD for obvious reasons

Eh "obvious reasons"? Because they got higher marks in the leaving cert? Because UCD is actually in Dublin 4? I really don't see what the big deal is with the snobs, as i like to call them. Calling people D4 actually insults the people who live in D4, as very little of UCD Arts snobs are actually from D4. I'm not from D4 but i wouldnt call the way people act as impeding on my college life! You walk around UCD and you see internationals, culchies, skobies, northsiders (not the same thing), southsiders, snobs (not the same thing), rugby players, oompa lumpas, goths, loners, geeks and just people who just wanna be themselves. I really hate the segregation in UCD, i know and talk to alot of people from each sub-culture in UCD and the people who talk less of the other "type of ppl" are the snobs or D4's as u call them. The only reasonable conclusion i've come to is that the people with problems are either jealous because someone has more money than them or jealous because some can live at home and walk to UCD without spending hours on bus journeys and having to do laundry on the weekends.

You'd think that when people leave secondary school and get some independence that they would grow up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It takes me 12 minutes to get to UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

This is just a northside versus southside thread. A timeless argument, that pisses northsiders off more, cause usually southsides will say somenthing they think is funny like "better watch my wallet" then laugh with all there mates. Im not bitter about it, just annoyin after u hear loads of northside gags, that people think are in jest but are just annoyin and crap.

There is a lot of "segregation" in ucd, true, but it is enforced by all sides.

Nerds and goths dont wanna hang around with "snobby" ( its very hard to describe cause most of the terms like oompa's, and D4's dont relly fit, since a lot arent from D4 or have orange skin) and vice versa.

Usually its just asshole types that give D4 heads and the like a bad name. You get assholes everywhere. If the people are well off you cant just slag them because there from that background. I could imagine someone slaggin a d4 person sayin " Ooo daddy bought me a car", but i cant imagine someone saying, "Ooo look at the tramp, the could do with a few new clothes"

I understand that my argument is a bit crazy, but its hard to bring sence to this argument.

There was a northside soc for about ten minutes. Durin my fresher year we took over RocSoc when people had left its stall and turned it into North Soc. Was gas at the time. Sort of.

END OF RANT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Sangre wrote:
    It takes me 12 minutes to get to UCD.
    It takes me 8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

TAKES ME FECKIN AGES!!!!

Ah no, two busses, an hour. So used to it by now. No biggie.

It takes me at least an hour and a half :( 77A to town, then 10 to UCD.

Takes me about the same (either 75 and 17, or 49 and 46A) :(

DaveMcG wrote:
    It takes me at least an hour and a half :( 77A to town, then 10 to UCD.

Pretty much the same for me, except replace 77A with its close cousin 78A.

Back on topic, OP why are you trying to divide the college even further?

why are you trying to divide the college even further

How is that what I'm trying to do? Im trying to get similar people together. Are the Spanish and French societies for example also trying to divide the college?

taibhse wrote:
    How is that what I'm trying to do? Im trying to get similar people together. Are the Spanish and French societies for example also trying to divide the college?

Of course not. For starters, those societies don't offend a lot of people and don't prolong a stupid rivalry.

Secondly, those societies have a point to them. The French Sociey wasn't made because they hate the British or anything like that.

And lastly, those societies actually have topics to discuss: the language, culture etc.

I fail to see how the idea of a northside society offends people and maybe we want to celebrate Dublin culture!!

taibhse wrote:
    I fail to see how the idea of a northside society offends people

It offends people who hate that rivalry and who hate Dublin being divided into groups and such.
    and maybe we want to celebrate Dublin culture!!

Call it Dublin Society then.

• Advertisement

Call it Dublin Society then.

But then all the icky D4-heads will joiiiinnnnn :( lol :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement