Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Northside Society!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

It offends people who hate that rivalry and who hate Dublin being divided into groups and such

Dublin is divided into groups, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. It's divided by issues of class, race etc etc. If you think you are living in a totally pc, equal society then you are ignoring the harsh reality.

taibhse wrote:
    Dublin is divided into groups, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. It's divided by issues of class, race etc etc. If you think you are living in a totally pc, equal society then you are ignoring the harsh reality.

But why encourage it?

What is wrong with trying to get people with similar backgrounds and interests together?

taibhse wrote:
    What is wrong with trying to get people with similar backgrounds and interests together?

Why would you assume that people from the Northside would have the same interests? Is everyone from the Northside suppose to enjoy snooker whereas everyone in the Southside hates it or something?

No, but after meeting people from both areas, I know that I generally have more in common with people from my own area than southside people, i.e. similar backgrounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

People's idea of segregation in UCD is seriously exaggerated. You can't pigeon-hole people based on their address. The group of college friends I went out with the other night was made up of people from the following places:

Athlone
    Kilkenny
    Drogheda
    Cavan
    Raheney
    Drimnagh
    Blackrock
    Glenageary

And we're all the best of friends. Of my class of 50 last year the only person that actually had a D4 address was the nicest non-snob girl you could meet. Most of the Assholes were from Castleknock. So I guess you'd be stuck with them in NorthsideSoc. UCD is full of different sorts of people from all over the country.

Lets kill a few stereotypes:
    Most culchies aren't GAA heads
    Most Southsiders are nice people and only some of them are orange.
    Most Northsiders aren't scumbags.

Assholes hang around with assholes
    Gaa Heads hang around with Gaa Heads
    BOP girls hang around with BOP girls

People make friends based on their personalities not their feckin addresses and most people hang around in groups that have a mix of culchies (Like me!!! :D ), Northsiders and Southsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Not going to happen, the college knows better than to highlight such a stupid rivalry with this society.

Imagine the uproar if a D4 society was created? :rolleyes:

Just because you guys are from the same area, you are supposed to have the same interests? (i.e Criminal Activites) haha just jk

taibhse wrote:
    No, but after meeting people from both areas, I know that I generally have more in common with people from my own area than southside people, i.e. similar backgrounds.

Yes but what you're experiencing is called the, eh, well I've forgotten the name now. :o

People from Europe have the same interests, then if we go closer, people from Ireland have the same interests, then even closer, Dublin, then North Dublin, then you're hometown.

Your arguement for a Northside Society is only as good as giving a society for your hometown instead, which is pretty pointless.

And what the above said. ^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im setting up a Tallaght Soc, any one joining, you have to live in Dublin 24 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Score :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

just because you guys are from the same area, you are supposed to have the same interests? (i.e Criminal Activites)
    So gazza, all people from Blackrock are killers? eh?

There are always gonna be a few from D4 that are not the stereotype but the majority are

People's idea of segregation in UCD is seriously exaggerated. You can't pigeon-hole people based on their address. The group of college friends I went out with the other night was made up of people from the following places:

Athlone
    Kilkenny
    Drogheda
    Cavan
    Raheney
    Drimnagh
    Blackrock
    Glenageary

Assholes hang around with assholes

well done pigeon, contradicting yourself all in one post.....

pajodublin wrote:
    well done pigeon, contradicting yourself all in one post.....

Please explain the contradiction.

I'm looking forward to being right.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*joins* :)

First you said, "People's idea of segregation in UCD is seriously exaggerated" therefore your saying all groups intermix,

then you go on to say, "Assholes hang around with assholes
    BOP girls hang around with BOP girls"

So that is segregating into different groups, hence the contradiction.. ;)

Looking forward to what now?????

I was born in Tallaght, so do I count? :o

;)

pajodublin wrote:
    First you said, "People's idea of segregation in UCD is seriously exaggerated" therefore your saying all groups intermix,

then you go on to say, "Assholes hang around with assholes
    BOP girls hang around with BOP girls"

So that is segregating into different groups, hence the contradiction.. ;)

Looking forward to what now?????

Balls. The assholes-assholes comment is an explanation of a real world principle. It's just what happens always.

And can you explain how this sentence "People's idea of segregation in UCD is seriously exaggerated" means "all groups intermix".

If I'd wanted to say all groups intermix I would have said "There is NO segregation into groups in UCD.

I guess you hang around with assholes, right?

It's not a rivalry thing, I would simply like to spend time with people who actually know that they are Irish, not some american wannabes who have watched one too many episodes of the oc

Once again, assumption. I myself am a Northsider who would like to live in America someday..........

I guess you hang around with assholes, right?

Strangely enough i dont, another thing strange is im not even a student

Living in America is different from doing a bad impersonation of one. For example orange tan in the middle of winter for fcuk sake!! Using American slang - scored, hot etc, One word - Why?. Is it some kind of inferiority complex that makes a lot of southsiders do this?

• Advertisement

pajodublin wrote:
    Strangely enough i dont, another thing strange is im not even a student

I notice you failed to say "I'm sorry pigeon. I guess you were right all along and I'm just not very good at understanding written pieces of the English language."

Tough piece of writing from the tough guy, I take it your probably well liked on here and have alot of online friends but none in the real world,

Get a life, and you still contradicted yourself....asshole

pajodublin wrote:
    Tough piece of writing from the tough guy, I take it your probably well liked on here and have alot of online friends but none in the real world,

Get a life, and you still contradicted yourself....asshole

Other way round in fact. You may notice over 2years I've less than 200 posts so I'm not active here at all.

If you're going to start an argument be able to back it up. I refuted your claim of a contradiction and now your reply is simply to say "you still contradicted yourself" without saying how. Read my reply to the intial contradiction post and unless your grasp of either logic or the English language is piss-poor you'll see that what I said wasn't a contradiction. I don't post here much unless I've something to say. But I hate when someone tries get away with discrediting a post without any basis to do so.

Let's explain the "contradiction":

You say that the phrase "segregation at UCD is greatly exaggerated" implies that "all groups intermix". Please explain how. But you won't will you? You'll make a smartass reply to something earlier in the post and totally ignore the substantive issue.

People's idea of segregation in UCD is seriously exaggerated
    This is what you say first, therefore if it is greatly exaggerated, there must be at least some degree of mixing with groups, you then proceed to name some of your ideas of groups in UCD
    Assholes hang around with assholes Gaa Heads hang around with Gaa Heads
    these are groups, and if as you say they each only hang around with their own group, then that is segregation is it not? If the segregation is exaggerated then why do you suggest that just these examples alone are segregated?.

pajodublin wrote:
    This is what you say first, therefore if it is greatly exaggerated, there must be at least some degree of mixing with groups, you then proceed to name some of your ideas of groups in UCD these are groups, and if as you say they each only hang around with their own group, then that is segregation is it not? If the segregation is exaggerated then why do you suggest that just these examples alone are segregated?.

The topic of this thread is segregation of Dubliners along a geographical divide. Within that context my remarks are not contradictory.

Anything taken out of context can be twisted to show someone up.

What you meant to say was " Im so sorry Pajo you were right all along, please forgive me" ;) :cool:

pajodublin wrote:
    What you meant to say was " Im so sorry Pajo you were right all along, please forgive me" ;) :cool:

Eh no. Another example of your reading my posts and completely misintrepreting what was said.

it took you that long to think of that!!! tut tut tut...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

pajodublin wrote:
    just because you guys are from the same area, you are supposed to have the same interests? (i.e Criminal Activites)

So gazza, all people from Blackrock are killers? eh?

How about you stop mis-quoting?
    I actually said:
    gazza22 wrote:
    Just because you guys are from the same area, you are supposed to have the same interests? (i.e Criminal Activites) haha just jk

Note the haha just jk, i've made it larger because you can't seem to see it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I think you may be missing the point there Pajo!

The initial segregation that was mentioned referred to location based groups, i.e. D4 heads (not the same as residents of D4, might I add, some clarification is needed here!), culchies (rotten word) etc. The references implied that groups such as these stuck to themselves and spurned those outside the predetermined social groupings. As Pigeon pointed out (quite rightly too!) it's not necessarily segregation within these social divides that occurs, but rather divisions based on personality or beliefs etc. - take for example those interested in false tan or the GAA, or just general d!ckheads.

Maybe that wasn't extreme enough for your liking?

And Taibhse, I think your idea for a Northside Society is not only ridiculous, it's inflamatory. I'm from South Tipperary, but I live three miles or so from North Tipperary - would I be excluded on the basis of three miles, or just completely dismissed because I'm not from Dublin? Either way, I wouldn't be allowed to join, although I may have plenty in common with many people within the society. That's just as discriminatory as saying overweight people, or people of a certain ethnic background or belief system couldn't join some other society.

Finally, Economaniac - I think you have a pretty skewed idea of the basis for the majority of D4 head dislike. I don't like D4 heads - not necessarily people from the Dublin 4 region, and I know plenty of native D4 residents who can't be beaten on friendliness etc. D4 heads are people who play upon the stereotypes of D4 (not those who simply are who they are, having certain distinctive Dublin 4 attributes, but aren't playing them up to make fair weather friends) such as those who feign a D4 accent while talking to friends, then revert back to their natural Meath ones when talking to their mammy on the phone. People who's first visit to the southside was to see the Book of Kells on a school tour - that kind of complete and utter un-necessary bullsh!t. I spent plenty of time with people from the fashion show last year and while they could be the nicest people possible on their own, in groups the models especially behaved as though they were as thick as two short planks and ignorant to boot. The majority of those on the committee were lovely, and an absolute pleasure to be around, but when models and dancers came to the office to book tickets or hand in money, the volume of those who looked down their nose at me and my close friends were too numerous to even count. I don't care how much money you have, nor how close you live to college. I don't care that you don't have a loan, or that you don't have to worry about getting your washing done around everything else. But if you look down on me because I have pale skin, dye my hair myself and never wear make up, don't believe in plastering myself with labels that were made by overworked and underpaid kids in some third world country while the item of clothing cost the GNP of that same country and can be who I am without needing a clique to back me up, then forget it. It's not what someone has that makes me dislike them. I envy people who live at home a little, because of the ease it puts on their entire family - but that applies equally to those on the north and south side, those from Kildare, Wicklow and Louth, and wherever else people commute from on a daily basis. Please don't assume that you can simplify things down to the bare bones, because the majority of people who dislike a particular stereotypical sector of society do so for reasons with more depth than your average puddle - something you haven't given them credit for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement