Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Northside Society!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

It takes me 6-8 minutes to drive to college in the car my father bought me (never had a job in my life) hahaha I win.

Also all this "segregation" is completely imagined, if youre a good looking culchie or even a good looking knacker youll get on alright with most people - theyll overlook your flaws because youre hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

pigonbuttler and pajodublin cope da **** on. Have you two history of being at each others throats.

Anyway, to the OP:
    2 of the largest societies in UCD seem to be the SS brigade - B&L, C&E and this year theres a brand new Q Soc. If you want a nortsoc type thing, dont call it that. Find some activity/interewst thats predoninant in the norht side and call it after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

This thread, ROFL taibhse! :D
    If you want a nortsoc type thing, dont call it that. Find some activity/interewst thats predoninant in the norht side and call it after that

I have it....... the Scumbag Society! We could go on nights out to a local park, knock bag 15 Dutch in an hour, beat people up, rob a few cars (preferably BMWs from Dublin 4) and go joyriding......... wooohhoooooooo! BTW wearing tracksuits, Ben Sherman t-shirts, silver chain around your neck and a Burberry baseball cap worn at a 90 degree angle are essential items to be part of ScumSoc.

C'mon lighten people. Not surprisingly it's the southsiders on here who are geting all tetchy and unhappy of a notion of a ''Northside Society'' :D . Hmmmm what B&L and C&E for I wonder? I do have a problem with alot of Southsiders out in this college. I know some nice ones but I got to know far more not so nice ones out here. Not surprisingly most of the people who I've found cold, distant or very cliquey have all had very well spoken Southside accents. You could say ''oh they could be Northsiders aswell'' but that would only apply to you if you're from Clontarf TBH. I guarantee you if I was from South Dublin I would never had the problems I had trying to fit into this place last year.

Admit it people there will always be segregation of people because of where they are. Anytime I hear people chatting with each other out in this place they have similar accents (ie. I rarely ever hear Dublin people mixing with country folk or vice versa.)

Sangre wrote:
    Lets stop this bickering and make a society we can all agree on.

The No Blacks Soc.

:mad:

Yeah you're sound. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I'm setting up an 'adopt an orange' soc. The focus will be on rehabilitation and education in skin care. Compulsary trips to The Square and Northside SC will be included to ensure a modicum of contact with the masses. Anyone interested send me €25.00 and a pack of ciggies....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

C'mon lighten people. Notsurprisingly it's the southsiders on here who are geting all tetchy and unhappy of a notion of a ''Northside Society'' :D . Hmmmm what B&L and C&E for I wonder?

Perhaps because they're not allowed to join and they're being excluded?
    Hmm, not surprisingly the blacks aren't a fan of my new society, isn't that weird?

What are B&L and C&E for? Hmmm, here is a wild guess, people who attend Commerce and Economics or Business & Legal?

And if you think people don't mix in UCD then you seriously need to get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I don't like this whole north side, south side rivalry. It's bloody stupid and you should all knock down these prejudicial barriers and embace each other as fellow students. Where's the LOVE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow, I've only been here a couple of weeks and I've gotten talking to more cultchies than Dubliners... Maybe I'm just naive, but I haven't noticed any segregation at all.

EDIT:

I'm a Southsider, btw.

If you think that Southsiders are all posh and live off their daddy, then you've never been to the Southside. Or very select areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Yeah, to me UCD seems to mixed enough. One big pile of people, with some less orange than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I'm sure there is segrigation... well there must be if some of you have noticed it but my mates from college are a pretty even mix of northsiders, southsiders, westsiders and non-dubliers. Strangely our vast geographical differences in no way make us different as people.

Airheads are airheads and assholes are assholes no matter where they live or how much money they have.

Seriously lads, cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I guarantee you if I was from South Dublin I would never had the problems I had trying to fit into this place last year.

That's bullsh*t man, what makes you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

Originally Posted by Zane from MTV2 I guarantee you if I was from South Dublin I would never had the problems I had trying to fit into this place last year.

I agree with this, if you are not from the southside it is hard fitting in because many of the annoying D4 type only want to know others who are like them. People may argue that is also what is the main tenet of an argument for a northside society, but no I would not exclude people from other areas, simply the D4 ones!!!!

taibhse wrote:
    if you are not from the southside it is hard fitting in because many if the annoying D4 type only want to know others who are like them.

You've lost me on this one.

Most people in UCD aren't from D4, by quite a large amount, so why would you find it hard to fit in just on the basis that you don't get along with people from D4?

Let me just clear something up that I should have done earlier, by D4, I don't simply mean the actual geographical area, I mean the type of person, who are numerous in UCD. Even someone from Leitrim for example who is obviously not from D4, can start the year off as themselves and then 'adopt' D4ism and speak and act in this manner.

taibhse wrote:
    Let me just clear something up that I should have done earlier, by D4, I don't simply mean the actual geographical area, I mean the type of person, who are numerous in UCD. Even someone from Leitrim for example who is obviously not from D4, can start the year off as themselves and then 'adopt' D4ism and speak and act in this manner.

Ah you mean D4 wannabees (aka Quinn School). I think we call them oompa-lumpas or something these days.

Now I'm gonna have to read the whole thread all over again. :p

I still disagree though, as I've made many friends, but I guess I should reserve judgement until after I re-read.

Ok after my re-read I still disagree and find the idea offensive, but I'm very tired right now so, eh, FREE TIBET!!

Oh and I think someone mentioned the idea of a Boards Soc? I think he/she meant it in a humerous context, but I think it would be a great idea. But I'm too tired to argue my points. :rolleyes:

That's bullsh*t man, what makes you say that?

A whole year of getting polite f*ck offs since I wasn't part of a clique or a certain area. Wasn't just people who were ignorant and unfriendly, many cases it was friendly people who made it clearly obvious that they prefered fellow southsiders ie. by sitting with them and not you in lectures and by hanging out with them outside lectures and not you. I do have intelligence you know but obviously all I do is speak bullsh!t for no reason since I don't live in a magical fairytale world of UCD being such a friendly and open to all sorts of people type of place. :rolleyes:

It's a pity that there aren't more people like me and taibhse who have the balls to speak out and being honest about something which we see day in day out in this place. Get your head out the sand folks, there is a huge ''I'm better than you since I'm from a certain part of Dublin'' mentality with alot of people out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭PaulDoh

DaveMcG wrote:
    Wow, I've only been here a couple of weeks and I've gotten talking to more cultchies than Dubliners... Maybe I'm just naive, but I haven't noticed any segregation at all.

EDIT:

I'm a Southsider, btw.

If you think that Southsiders are all posh and live off their daddy, then you've never been to the Southside. Or very select areas.

:confused: I think some (not all) of the Northsiders speaking here have a disillusioned view of the southside. I live in North Clondalkin and I hope people don't mind me saying but the many parts of my area would often be regarded as sh!tty. The same can be said for parts of Tallaght, Ballyfermot, etc. On the other hand, there are some really nice parts in these areas too.

I'm not trying to offend people, but I'm just trying to get across the point that there are Scumbags wherever you go, and I somehow doubt people will exclude you 'just' because you come from a certain part of the country. People are unique - they don't all fit into little stereotypical brackets.

And to the OP, you cannot have a society were you want to exclude people and not expect a reaction against your idea. Like someone else said, start a club based around a particular hobby and find people there to befriend, that you are interested in, regardless of their origin.

EDIT: To DaveMcG: I quoted you cos your post kind of summarised part of what I was trying to say {the "you've obviously never been to the Southside" bit}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Well Zane from reading posts you've made in different threads in the past I can say I've had similar problems fitting in last year, but I'm from the south-side. So I doubt this supposed north-south divide is what's caused your difficulty fitting in (or mine)

Blut wrote:
    It isnt. Its his anti social appearance and general manner, I can pretty much guarantee. Blaming D4 people for his social ineptitude (and probably the thread starters too) is a social crutch they use to justify themselves as not being the problem, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Oh your so cracking me up Blut! C'mon since you know me so well describe to me my ''anti sociable apperance'' and my ''general manner.'' Go on show me this ''overwhelming evidence to the contrary.'' I think the people that post here who know me in person would overwhelmingly disagree and are breaking their sh!t laughing at your blinded and idiotic statement to describe a person you have never met. I probably do come across as a bit confrontational but why? Because I state the truth, I am honest and I have so many people like you saying that I talk a load of BS simply because they are having a fantastic time out here and can't spend 2 seconds to think about how other people feel out here. I'm standing up for myself because from what I see here most of you are colour blinded to this whole social segregation topic and you won't have any of it.

I'm probably too friendly and too nice to people. I don't hold social apprehensions towards people but after a year putting up with sh!t from people in this college I have come to a realistic and honest conclusion about people out in this place. Just because I state something which I saw day in day out in this college last year and am outspoken about it does in no bloody way mean that I have an ''anti sociable appearance.'' It appears that on this forum you can't say anything what is deemed non conforming to the social acceptance that everyone is so lovely and not up their own arses or you'll get shot down to pieces. Fine if you've had a great time in this college but do not ignore or shoot down someone if they come from a different perspective to you about this topic.

The nerve of you to relate the terms ''anti sociable apperance'' and my ''general manner'' shows what you are anyway......... %*£#$+^@ (and I'll get banned for typing it)

Well I better conform to all of you guys ideologies now.......

Yeah Dublin 4 and people from other well to do social backgrounds are so friendly, open to people and not up their own arses at all. People from upper class backgrounds always try to get to know other people and try to make friends with people from other areas of Dublin or Ireland and are not at all cliquey. UCD is such a goddam friendly college with the friendliest, warmest people on earth. The B&L and C&E are not exclusive D4/private school societies........ blah blah blah blah I'm getting bored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

PaulDoh wrote:
    :confused: I think some (not all) of the Northsiders speaking here have a disillusioned view of the southside. I live in North Clondalkin and I hope people don't mind me saying but the many parts of my area would often be regarded as sh!tty. The same can be said for parts of Tallaght, Ballyfermot, etc. On the other hand, there are some really nice parts in these areas too.

Indeed, I was very shocked at Southsiders being considered posh! people from Terenure, Templeogue, etc., would consider me (from Tallaght) or my family (from Ballyfermot) scum, lol; well, not literally, but they'd consider the area rough, and I would too. It's just shocking that people from the Northside might think we're all posh!

I know obviously that there are not so posh areas such as Clondalkin and Tallafornia (no offence but I love that word! :D ) but generally most of it is well to do lets say. There is D4 wannabee areas like Clontarf and Malahide on the northshhhhide too........ ooooh I dislike Clontarf people alot. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Yeah, nice one Blut. Sharp as a f**king tack, you are. :rolleyes:
    The only thing worse than a smartarse is an ignorant smartarse. Congrats, you fulfill just such a description.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think this soc or even this debate has any merit to it at all. Fair enuff, if you don't like d4 heads or d4 wannabees, don't hang around with them, but setting up a Soc excluding them? You'll get ppl from Clontarf, Sutton, Malahide etc who are just as irritating. And in a Southside soc you'd get Tallafornians, ppl from Ringsend, Irishtown, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot etc who would irritate the d4 heads (note: I have mates from all those areas, so don't hav a go at me for saying that, I'm just illustrating a point).

Northside Soc would be pointless. Besides, I'd be in it.
    And I know Zane would just HATE that! :p

I know loads of northsiders and boggers who have absolutely no problem fitting in in arts simply because they dont dress like utter knackers/goths and/or arent ugly.

Thanks Blut, you've just backed up my argument, you say yourself, you have to conform to a certain type to fit in i.e wear the clothes you think are ok, speak in a certain way and have the D4 look which I'm sure you think is the only one which 'isn't ugly'. Im sure you love the tango look

I've literally spent the last 15 minutes breaking my balls laughing at a ''certain'' post on this thread from possibly the biggest moron to ever use a keyboard! :D

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ah c'mon Seb! Why couldn't you have told me that I was looking that badly out of shape when you saw me today! :D

A get a suspicion that a ''certain'' someone will be making a trip to banville very soon. Oooh I wonder who that could be? :rolleyes:

This thread = flamewar.
    Lock please truckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

Northside Soc won't work if the aim is to try and avoid snobbery.....................it needs to be something like the Anti-Dube League.............................................

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sangre wrote:
    Theres more to being a southsider than being really, really, really, really ridiculously good-looking!

Its about being rich too.

You forgot the faaaaaabulous fashion sense and taste.

Theres more to being a southsider than being really, really, really, really ridiculously good-looking!

And here was me thinking it was just about being really really really really ridiculously up their own arses. silly me :D

Its his anti social appearance and general manner, I can pretty much guarantee. Blaming D4 people for his social ineptitude (and probably the thread starters too) is a social crutch they use to justify themselves as not being the problem, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Yes I must be socially inept because I refuse to be orange and speak like an idiot..... huh now there's a thinker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Eitherway, that post, even if it is about someone else, basically backs up everything Zane has been saying better than anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement