Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth alumni

Options
  • 17-09-2005 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I graduated from Maynooth four years ago and i want to give some advice to those who are starting their third level education this year...

1. Make loads of friends: this is a fairly obvious thing to say but in the first few months of college you meet lots of people and you don't really know anything about them. they may not like maynooth, they may get courses elsewhere and leave....so make sure you get to know loads of people. the clubs and societies are great for this and also talk to all of the people you end up with in tutorials etc. the friends you make in college make a huge difference to your life; much more than those you have from school.

2. find the library! you may not feel like sitting the library until the exams come, but i didn't understand how college worked til i got to my final year! this is how it works...just do a little bit every week in the library on your own; don't sit with a group of people, just go off on your own and study for a short while in order to keep up with what's going on in lectures. this all adds up and when the exams do arrive, you'll feel more confident. 2a. get to know a few lecturers! this may sound strange but it will help if they see you on an exam paper and are able to put a name to a face. the lecturers have hundreds of students and if you're friendly and interested, they'll remember you. they may not give extra credit for this friendship but you'll be happy to call them after college when you're looking for references etc.

finally, enjoy every minute and every day...after all, the alternative is working 9-5 everyday and commuting etc. so from my POV, i always look back and never regret the things i did; always the things i didn't do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Thanks a million for that. I`ll try and act on your advice.

During Orientation i found it very awkward and forced the whole making friends thing and did`nt feel very confident or my usual out going self, in fact I felt very self concices. Anyway I`m sure that`ll change once things get started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Nice thread TT&TO

Advertisement