Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emmys

• 17-09-2005 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Not exactly the most important of topics but I'm bored..

This Years emmys take place tomorrow (sept 18th)
    Lost is nominated for best Drama Series this year (no suprises there)
    Naveen Andrews and Terry O'Quinn are both nominated for best supporting actor
    Lost has 10 other nominations that are not listed in the link..

list of major Nominees:Linkeh

I suppose it would have been hard to distuingish who the leading actors are in Lost.. also hard with the pay disputes that have already come up..

EDIT: whoops... forgot to carry the one..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I presume you mean the 18th :p:D

Of all things I hope Terry O'Quinn wins,he deserves it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

Lead Actor Mathew Fox

Lead Actress Evangelin Lilly (How do you spell her name)

Every one else is supporting cast imo. Not that they aren't great I'm just saying that you take away Jack and You take away Kate and you lose a lot. Thats the reason all the reviews said that JJ would have been crazy to Kill of Jack a half an hour into the pilot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lead Actor Mathew Fox

Every one else is supporting cast imo. Not that they aren't great I'm just saying that you take away Jack and You take away Kate and you lose a lot. Thats the reason all the reviews said that JJ would have been crazy to Kill of Jack a half an hour into the pilot.
    Link to these reviews?... most of those opinions are from fans of the show. And to be honest to JJ.. that's a pretty ingenious idea! Never been done before.. as far as i know!

Get the view of the crash and surrounding mayhem from the hero of the story.. and then kill him off! :eek: I don't think one viewer out there would have seen it coming..! Shame JJ revealed it now as it could have been used in another pilot he could work on in the future.

Matthew Fox and Evangeline have been both excellent as lead actors but in terms of acting ability and a general star turn, Terry O Quinn has been the clearout star of this season.

Matthew and Evangeline should not have been denied a nomination but to be honest, i'd be more outraged if Terry O Quinn didn't get that Emmy nod cos he continued to impress me week after week!

PS - best of luck to 'Lost' tonight at The Emmy's.. it's already got 4 wins for the technical awards.
    1.Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series WON!
    2.Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series
    3.Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series
    4.Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Dramatic Underscore) WON!
    5.Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series (Naveen Andrews/Sayid)
    6.Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series (Terry O'Quinn/John Locke)
    7.Outstanding Drama Series
    8.Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series
    9.Outstanding Single-Camera Sound Mixing For A Series WON!
    10.Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series WON!
    11.Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series (Pilot)
    12.Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series (Walkabout)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

will they not be showing the emmy's on normal tv at all, checked for mon tues its not on...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

Actually in the commentaries for the pilot jj said that it was the studio execs that said he couldn't kill off Jack they said fans would be outraged if they had spent all the time investing in the character and then had him killed off.

Im not knocking any of the other actors or actresses abilities im just saying that imo Jack and Kate are the main characters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well it won the biggie - Best Drama! I'm so happy about this....
    JJ also won best director for a drama series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think the emmys will be shown on TV3 soon.

List of winners http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=303675

The emmy's will be shown Saturday at 8.05pm on TV3.

But are they worth watching?? Dear God! What a load of crap! I'm convinced these people do not have a clue what they are voting for,or what they are doing.

Ok,Lost deserved Best Drama. Everybody Loves Raymond as best comedy??? wtf?! Its one of the unfunniest "comedies" ever made.And ahead of Arrested Development and Scrubs! Even Desperate Housewives is better than it!Brad Garrett as Supporting Actor for Raymond over Jeffrey Tambor of Arrested Development??

And again...Doris Roberts of Everybody Loves Raymond over
    Jessica Walter of Arrested Development!! :confused:

And this is the one that makes me laugh the most,because it has to be some sort of joke,or a prank,or they just decided to do it because they felt sorry for him for being such a talentless twat all his career-Supporting Actor, Drama Series goes to William Shatner - Boston Legal!! That is over Terry O'Quinn who deserved it 100 times more than this idiot. Also Naveen Andrews,Oliver Platt and Alan Alda can actually act! Have you seen Boston Legal?? Its terrible! Shatner tries to be funny but just isn't,he tries to be dramatic and fails horribly. James Spader of Boston Legal over Ian McShane of Deadwood??? Yep,the Emmys are nothing short of a joke.

***Rant Over*** :D

I will agree with you in relation to Everyone Love Raymond. But its got the sympathy vote since it just finished up. Also its huge in the US, the main star gets more then Seinfeld or Friends or Frasier. Frasier got alot of the sympathy vote last year as did Friends the year before.

But while I will admit that I have never seen Boston Legal I think that it possible deserves awards if only because it is a spin off to THE PRACTICE.

I have to say that I like William Shantner (and no not in Star Trek or TJ Hooker) I always thought he had great comic timing which was wasted on the shows that he has been in previously, but prehaps I am mistaken.

Haven't seen Deadwood, but then I could always think of Lovejoy when thinking of Ian McShane. :(

Again I haven't seen Boston Legal (Deadwood isn't my type of show, also its on sky one which puts me off even futher) but I hope that its more along the lines of the Practice then Ally McBeal.

Terry O'Quinn will possible get it next year or the next year. LOST have plenty of more seasons to go. I think Terry O'Quinn is one of the most Underrated TV actors in american.

Also I don't think that it matters that Terry O'Quinn didn't win since LOST won best casting which says alot about the over all cast of the series.

• Advertisement

I have never seen the Practice,but I have seen Boston Legal!! lol And I have to say it was terrible! Just terrible. And its not that I don't like legal dramas,it tries to be a legal/comedy show and just fails horribly-It is similar to Ally McBeal in that way,without the weird imaginary scenes. As for Shatner,dear Lord I hate the man with a passion. I think he has no talent-at all! :p One reason is because I hate Star Trek and him in it! and also this...

http://gorillamask.net/rm.shtml :D

Deadwood is very good...HBO tend to make the best shows! Carnivale,The Sopranos,The Wire...etc. Never seen LoveJoy,so maybe thats why it doesn't take away anything from his great performances in Deadwood...for me anyway :D

Well the Practice is one of the best legal dramas. Created by David E.Kelly, also Ally McBeal, Boston Legal and Boston Public etc etc.

You should really watch The Practice if you get a chance. Big hit that one lots of emmys in its day.

The Practice had alot of quirky storylines which never took from the drama. However the last season shown on RTE was fairly rubbish, RTE have yet to show the final season which brought in James Spaders into the Practice and then the spin of Boston Legal, initally called The Practice: Fleet Street.

As for lovejoy :shudder:

The Practice was one of the shows that start off the great drama currently coming from the states IMO.

ER, The Practice, X-files, Millenium all those 1990's drama brought good drama to US TV IMO.

Great episodes with George Vogelman.

"There's a head in the Bag?"

Eugene Young calls out in a prison: Ok who in here is Innocent
    Prison Inmates together: I am.

Sorry not to go on about the Practice but has to be one of the best casts ever. IMO.

Ye I heard it was good...and I did watch Boston Public,which was good in the first season but just lost it after that. It seems a pattern with David E Kelley's shows :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

basquille wrote:
    Link to these reviews?... most of those opinions are from fans of the show. And to be honest to JJ.. that's a pretty ingenious idea! Never been done before.. as far as i know!

Desperate Housewives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Lead Actor Mathew Fox

Jill's right - Desperate Housewives would count (even if the character of Mary Alice had only been established a few minutes by the time of her demise).

As for the way Lost might have gone, the original plan was to cast Michael Keaton as Jack, do the flashback thing and have him killed in place of the pilot. (Whether the pilot would have survived and become a character himself isn't clear. I always thought they should've kept a few Oceanic staff alive, like stewards or whatever. Maybe the one from Cold Feet or the Aussie one seen in Exodus, Part III might be worth bringing back...)

Anyway, back to Jack dying - in that case, we'd have only known Michael Keaton as Jack and wouldn't have had the Matthew Fox at all. We also wouldn't have lamented him as much due to his being very quickly established and killed (less emotional investment time, albeit a shock when/if it had happened. The pilot's death was still pretty shocking. I reckoned he might have made the surviving cast first time I saw the show.)

Advertisement