Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kenilworth Lidl coming!

Options
  • 18-09-2005 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Lidl has bought the Classic cinema in the Kenilworth area of Harold's Cross, and will be opening a shop there, with underground car parking.

I've noticed that someone's been buying up all the shops from the triangle park back towards the Kenilworth crossroads (Rathgar Avenue - Kenilworth Square - Harold's Cross Road - Kenilworth Park - Terenure Road North) in the last year or so, and was wondering what was going on.

Obviously the shops are going to be rented out, and it's going to be an area of new commercial regeneration. Aha.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Ah the memories
    The Classic cinema and the Rocky Horror Show on a Friday night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

It will be mad not too see the building there,unless they keep it.Ah the poor auld classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The Classic was lovely, and the guy who ran it was a darling. It's badly missed.

I doubt Lidl will keep the frontage - Lidl normally goes for the same brutalist architecture wherever the shop is.

It'll be good, though, if the other new shops are something decent. The area is getting mad arty in the last few years - the relatively cheap prices compared to Rawthgar and Turrinure next door, the nearness to town and the generally sylvan aspect have lured in lots of arty types who like the ambience and the bargain prices.

So there'd be a good market for a few nice restaurants, upmarket clothes shops, etc. At least there's now a new bookshop down the road in Rathgar, and a few nice restaurants there, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Aldi are also have submitted an application for a site on Fortunestown Lane just beside the Fortunestown Lane/Citywest Road roundabout. Down a bit from the currently-being-constructed Citywest Village. And Lidl are going into the Metal Pharmaceuticals Ireland building on Main Street Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i miss the classic - though a lidl there would be handy alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭robo

Harolds Cross needs something in it. I rented there for a few years and you had to travel to Rathmines (I know it is only down the prad) but still, you couldn't run out the door and have a choice of shops and places to shop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,

Irish readers will no doubt be aware of the great connection between the Classic Cinema in Harold's Cross and The Rocky Horror Show.

I had the honour of attending a Show in 1989 and I have to say it was one of the most bizarre, yet interesting film shows that I have ever seen.

Just to let you know that I have updated a tribute site to the cinema which contains newspaper reports of the closure and many references to the legendary Rocky Horror showings there.

I have updated the site to include pictures of the demolition, which began on Saturday 30th June, 2007.

Please visit the site and give me your feedback:

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~ccdublin/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I think that it was the only cinema in Dublin which had a 15 minute break halfway through the movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Delaney

Thanks kfm1000. I too missed the last RHPS thanks to that Irish Times article ! I used to go there a lot as a kid and was a frequent visitor in the final years. An awful shock to see the photos although I did drive by when one of the bulldozers was at work late June. Albert was a lovely man and he let us kids in a couple of times for free. I didnt realise he died. Sign of the times to be replaced by LIDL. The wonder of the web having a site like that and link to YOUTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Delaney

fatal wrote:
    I think that it was the only cinema in Dublin which had a 15 minute break halfway through the movie

No the original "Classic" in Terenure did the same, as did The Forum in Glasthule, which was replaced by a serious ugly building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

kfm1000

terrific site- really enjoyed it -well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fatal wrote:

the old killester cinema had a break also

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

thats a sin i drive past the classic 3 nights a week as i work in hx greyhound stadium was shocked there last week when the demolition started on the buliding shouldnt of been knocked down should of been kept as a landmark building but sadly its completly gone now just rubble soon to be a lidl what has the world come to

oh and amazing site kfm1000 spent the last 30mins reading everyting on your site thanks for taking your time out to make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

DermoMIO wrote:
    thats a sin i drive past the classic 3 nights a week as i work in hx greyhound stadium was shocked there last week when the demolition started on the buliding shouldnt of been knocked down should of been kept as a landmark building but sadly its completly gone now just rubble soon to be a lidl what has the world come to

oh and amazing site kfm1000 spent the last 30mins reading everyting on your site thanks for taking your time out to make it

im across the road, in the cross bar, everyone has been talking about it now for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the kind comments on the web site. I got over 300 hits in two days! Quite a record.

I am still not sure if Lidl got planning permisison to build on the site.

Has anyone been keeping an eye out for any planning notices on the site??

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~ccdublin/

Advertisement