Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain Gear

Options
  • 18-09-2005 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

What kind of rain gear do you all wear when cycling in the wet?

I'm looking for tops and bottoms that are breathable, and dont make me look like a refuse sack on wheels. I've seen a few jackets on wiggle.co.uk but the majority of them don't seem to have hoods and the ones that do have hoods aren't the nicest looking.

Any brands/styles that anyone would recommend?

cheers

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Urban cycling?
    In the winter - jacket of fleecy inner and poly-something outer, and Penny's water-proof tracksuit bottoms and I clip them on over my shoes.
    In the summer, just get wet! Its too damn warm anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Urban cycling?
    yup, to and from work. I don't mind getting wet in the summer either. I haven't really done much cycling in the winter before, so I'm not entirely sure how good or bad it will be.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

You should be pleasantly surprised cycling it winter. It doesn't actually rain as much as people think. You would be unlucky to find yourself drenched 5-6 during the winter. Often it is drizzle and when this takes place even in winter it is mild. The thing to watch out for is black ice on a forsty morning!

Treade wrote:
    It doesn't actually rain as much as people think.

you are dead right about that.
    I'm more concerned about those few days which will soak me through to the bone. Other times of the year I might not mind so much, since it wouldn't be as chilly.

I just wanna stay warm and dry :)

P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah it doesnt rain much at all compared to what most thing. I prefer getting wet in summer too. I have cheapo rain gear and sweat like a pig with it on. I always have a full change of clothes in work, and spare shoes too.

Can you get a complete one-piece suit to wear which is breathable, I wouldnt mind paying good money and looking like a tosser if I am dry. I was thinking of one that even has shoes built in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

King Raam wrote:
    ...dont make me look like a refuse sack on wheels...

Lol - my thoughts exactly!

Any suggestions as to where to buy rain gear in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Patagonia has the best value for money high end gear. I've just come back from a big adventure race which had some pretty crappy weather... the Low alpine goretex pac-lite gear kept me very warm and comfortable... available in the great outdoors. These aren't cheap options, but they work outstandingly well.
    for commuting I use a patagonia waterproof breathable outer shell over my normal clothes, and a pair of Aldi waterproof leggings, which work surprisingly well and cost very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Jacket: Peter Storm super bright yellow from Millets Blanchardstown. Only use it during winter for wind protection and visibility. Supposedly breathable but I sweat tons so not breathable for me.

Leggings: Patagonia Supercell Pants from Patagonia Outlet on Wicklow St, D2, cost e80. Really small when rolled up so very easy to carry. Breathable but I get a good bit of condensation on the inside. Definitely waterproof.

Shoe covers: 'Cyclespats' from Sporthouse of Waterford. May be known as "galoshes". The fit over my shoes (open bottom so work for clipless pedals) and well up my calf. Elastic at top, ankle and at bottom. Great for keeping feet dry from rain and spray from tyres, and warm on cold days.
    I couldn't find them on the Sporthouse site. They are quite cheap (<e20) and my first pair lasted for well over 10 years. Millets has similar stuff (gaiters), mainly intended for hiking.

Gloves: Specialized SubZero gloves. My ones have the removeably inner glove which can be washed. Waterproof. Nice reflective edging. My only gripe is that my thumb tips and some finger tips get cold when it's really cold outside, though that could be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I can never really tell why my hands are cold - I have Reynaulds syndrome so my hands go blue once it goes below about 10C regardless....

I find that cheap gear is fine 95% of the time to be honest - get what looks reasonable in Penny's to start with and upgrade if you need to.

The only time when it really really pays to have good gear is when you get caught in really heavy, cold rain, or snow - which is only about 3/4 times a year (if you make 2 30 min journeys a day) - then the cheapo stuff just doesn't hold, sadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I find that cheap gear is fine 95% of the time to be honest - get what looks reasonable in Penny's to start with and upgrade if you need to.
    This weeks specials at Aldi (Thurs 29 Sept) include cycling stuff e.g. winter gloves and other waterproof winter stuff. Might do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

daymobrew wrote:
    This weeks specials at Aldi (Thurs 29 Sept) include cycling stuff e.g. winter gloves and other waterproof winter stuff. Might do the job.

Deadly - will definitely be checking these out - cheers daymobrew!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

daymobrew wrote:

I can vouch for the quality of the jackets, gloves and cycling shirts from Aldi, they are all good quality for a fraction of what you'd pay in a bike shop.

The stuff is not really waterproof, more like water repellant. The jacket is fine for a misty day or light showers, also it fits very well and is quite windproof. It does get wet in prolonged rain though. Can't comment on the trousers but I will try to pick up a pair on Thursday.

well I've got the ball rolling on my wet/winter gear.... got a pair of gloves!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3074

Got em for €26 in Cycleways. Chain reaction have 'em for €26.59.

It hasn't rained since I got them, so I don't know how they will perform, but if they are any good I'll let yis know

P

Advertisement