Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

roy keane

• 18-09-2005 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

eh big problem he is out for 2months now how will this affect ireland !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Won't be there against the Swiss. /grumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

What?! 2 months, what the frick happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Broken metatarsel or something along those lines. Probably explains his quite display today. It's a bigger blow for Ireland than United though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Broke his third metatarsal bone in his foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

going to affect us, but we have to realise he's at the end of his international career anyway.
    Has he said he'd still play even if we did qualify for WC06?
    Perhaps it'll play into our hands better - its a blow, but the team will know they have to perform even better without him and show we're not just a one an team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Broke his third metatarsal bone in his foot.

My mate has a theory that alot of players have started breaking their metatarsal's recently because of the new design of boots. Could be onto something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Hardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Or perhaps it was something to do with Riise standing on his foot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Huge blow for ireland and utd.
    Smith in midfield! Not confidence inspiring is it!

Doesnt really matter anyway. 2nd is what the rest are fighting for and europe and the FA cup doesnt start until the new year so they might aswell prepare for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mr_angry wrote:

Probably a bit more likely,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lemlin wrote:
    My mate has a theory that alot of players have started breaking their metatarsal's recently because of the new design of boots. Could be onto something.
    The metatarsal has gained popularity since it happened to Becks and then Rooney - it was front page tabloid news after all.
    It became a buzz word and would be used the whole time.
    Before then, its was just "broken bone in foot" or "broke his foot".
    No corralation tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

All these broken metatarsal injuries have only been noticed since Beckhams injury. Before that it would have just been referred to as a broken foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mr_angry wrote:
    It was actually Garcia that slid into Keane's foot.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    All these broken metatarsal injuries have only been noticed since Beckhams injury. Before that it would have just been referred to as a broken foot.
    Yeah, it's only since Beckham brook his foot that all these theories have surfaced, mainly due to the fact that Beckham wears Predators with the new Stud arrangement and AFAIK Keane just wears regular Studs.

B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Its a big blow for Ireland all right as we are going to miss his leadership in the Swiss game(if it matters given taht we have to beat Cyprus). he is an organiser and drives the team on to perform better. Our midfield was poor against the French and now Kerr really has a job on his hands to sort it out and decide who he is going to play instead of keane. I think it has to be Kavanagh. he is the obvious replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Keane will be a big loss. I was surprised to see him there against the 'Pool yesterday, thought he was supposed to be out for 6 weeks with a hamstring??? Mysterious recovery or more Ferguson mind-games?

Anyhow, back to the subject, yes a big loss. Looking at the last couple of Ireland games, I see Kerr putting O'Shea in there. In fairness, he did a half-decent job against the Italians, but if Kavanagh is fit and on-form I'd like him in there to get stuck into them (anyone know if he's been playing and his form?).

As much as it saddens me to say, think this is another nail in the coffin for Ireland's World Cup 2006 hopes......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

joker77 wrote:
    Anyhow, back to the subject, yes a big loss. Looking at the last couple of Ireland games, I see Kerr putting O'Shea in there. In fairness, he did a half-decent job against the Italians, but if Kavanagh is fit and on-form I'd like him in there to get stuck into them (anyone know if he's been playing and his form?).

Hasnt been playing much from what I know but that was becasue he was out with an injury! was playing yesterday for Wigan...not sure how he got on in game becasue just seen highlights on BBC#

I would stick O'Shea in there!!! put Harte into left back....has he been playing in Spain???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Big Nelly wrote:
    Hasnt been playing much from what I know but that was becasue he was out with an injury! was playing yesterday for Wigan...not sure how he got on in game becasue just seen highlights on BBC#

I would stick O'Shea in there!!! put Harte into left back....has he been playing in Spain???

Cheers for that Big Nelly. Suppose O'Shea will be getting his game for United now at right-full, seeing Neville is out. He's just a utility player at United though, and as a central-midfielder, I'd prefer to have someone there who plays the position week-in, week-out.

Think Harte is playing alright - in the Segunda Division now aren't Levante? His left full is deadly alright, great asset to have on the pitch for dead balls, but he's not the paciest, and I've seen him get done so many times it's not funny......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Nelly wrote:

Kavanagh missed the first 2 matches because of injury but has started the last 3 and Wigan have won 2 and drew 1 of those. Kavanagh would be a much better option than O'Shea. O'Shea has played very few games as the holding player and would be a big risk.

"Although Wigan dominated possession with midfielder Graham Kavanagh running the game in front of watching Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr, Jewell's team struggled to carve out goalscoring opportunities until Camara replaced David Connolly on 64 minutes."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/09/19/sfgwig19.xml&sSheet=/sport/2005/09/19/ixfooty.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Anyone else thinks theres a slight chance Keane may make the swiss game? Remember when beckham broke his metatarsal, he was stretchered off in agony. G Neville had to be helped off when he broke his as well, as had wayne rooney.

See the way Keane jogged off on Sunday and didnt appear to be in any major discomfort?

Just a thought. If not the swiss match then defo the play-offs assuming we get there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RedorDead wrote:
    Anyone else thinks theres a slight chance Keane may make the swiss game? Remember when beckham broke his metatarsal, he was stretchered off in agony. G Neville had to be helped off when he broke his as well, as had wayne rooney. [
    I was thinking the same thing. The only problem though, Beckham was sh1t when he was rushed back for England. And I can't see Utd. letting him go back too early because with these types of injuries, if you don't rest for the appropriate amount of time you will just compound the injury.
    RedorDead wrote:
    See the way Keane jogged off on Sunday and didnt appear to be in any major discomfort?
    I think that has more to do with the fact that Keane isn't a big girl's blouse like Beckham.

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement