Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training with a Vet to become a Veterinary Nurse

Options
  • 18-09-2005 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Seeing as I don't have the points (and never will) to get in to Veterinary Nursing I am doing a Veterinary Assistant course and was wondering if many Vets take on people and train them themselves as nurses. I know it's done but is it a common practice does anyone know? And does anyone know how I'd go about it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I don't know so it's only a suggestion, but could you try calling a vet in Maynooth and asking them if there was a time you could go in for a chat? Then ask them any questions you have about it, e.g. do they know how frequently/infrequently it happens, what would it entail, are there any other options they know of that might not have occurred to you? I know you might feel a little silly but when I was researching stuff in 5th year I called into 3 people with different jobs round the town to see if I wanted to change my mind on what I'd chosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Thanks angeldelight, that's a sweet reply. I know what you mean but just wanted to see if anyone here knew of any info first before I go asking. Thanks though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

As far as I am aware you can work for a vet as a veterinary assistant - you need to work 20 hours a week as a veterinary employee and have to attend college ( UCD ) on block release for a certain time .
    You could also try the UCD website for further details.

The system changed a couple of years ago .
    Other than that harrass all your local vets for a job :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

i know some vets train their nurses without them having to go to college. i'd say ask around maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

there is a veterniary nurse course i was looking at a few years ago-i think you go to the college (UCD) for 4weeks at the start of each year, and then you work full time in a vets place. Finbarr in celbridge does it (that's where i was going to go) and it's on the bus route for you. this might have more info for you.

it doesn't go by points either.
    What are the minimum entry requirements to the Diploma in Veterinary Nursing?

Passes in 6 recognised subjects at Leaving Certificate, at least 2 of which must be grade C3 or better on a Higher Paper. Subjects must include:
    # Irish (minimum grade D3 Leaving Certificate Ordinary Paper)
    # English (minimum grade C3 Leaving Certificate Ordinary Paper)
    # Mathematics (minimum grade C3 Leaving Certificate Ordinary Paper)
    # Laboratory Science Subject or Home Economics (Social & Scientific) minimum grade C3 Leaving Certificate Higher Paper)
    # Two other recognised subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Thanks a million Kestrel but I sussed that out during the summer and unfortunately I don't have the Maths grade they require, I only have a D3 in Maths. I guess the best thing to do is just write to every Vet around and ask if they'll train me in? Can't really find any info on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

if you want it badly enough, maybe you should repeat maths this year alongside your animal care course? the veterinary nurse course accepts combined leaving certs. if you repeated maths you could perhaps take grinds on a saturday or something? you'd get the required grade no problem because you don't have 6other subjects bogging you down, and you could be doing the veterinary nurse course in a years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Haven't got the grades either. Being a Reiki Practicioner, I am doing a diploma in Holistic Animal Healing and because it is a distance learning course I am working voluntarily in an animal clinic up to three times a week.

This way I won't (necessarily) become a vet but doing something complimentary is, I believe, perhaps more efficient than "only" assisting.

Ever thought of doing something like that? Maybe that's a path to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

You don't necessarily have to go to UCD to become a Veterinary Nurse. Some Vets train people in themselves. I know the people I work for have done it before.

Advertisement