Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresher's week!!!

Options
  • 18-09-2005 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

From my perspective it's a load of overrated BS but hopefully it willl be better than the non-event of last year.

So what clubs/societies is everyone planning on joining?

Any good clubs/societies that you would recommend joining from previous experience? (umm I wonder what Rainbow Kirby and Blondie83 will be promoting? :rolleyes: )

What day is the Iron Stomoch on? Gotta see that! :D

Any other tomfoolery happening that I don't know about?

Will you drink yourself to oblivion this week?

Get posting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Gonna maybe join the Pool/Snooker club and whatever society offers me free stuff.

So what clubs/societies is everyone planning on joining?

Pool/snooker - It's the only thing I'm half-decent at.

Ultimate Frisbee - Sounds cool enough.

And i might have a go at tennis.
    Any good clubs/societies that you would recommend joining from previous experience?

From the little I know about you, I recommend you join everything. ;)
    Will you drink yourself to oblivion this week?

Al-kee-hall is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Best one to join will be world aid society cos you're doing something good for the world and its a nice friendly society.gonna join labour youth to as there events usually are a bit of craic.maybe we should set up a boards soc and instead of free donoughts we could give out a free mouse mat to everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

If you do join any don't do anything stupid like becoming a commitee member, you'll still have to put up those event posters when it gets freezing cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This is my revised list of societies and clubs that I plan to join...

Societies:
    Games soc (oooh yeah! :D)
    An Cumann Gaelach (wanna get meself fluent!)
    Photographic Soc (I like pictures and I can't take good ones :()
    Pokersoc (I always have fun playing, but I can never remember how to, lol)

Clubs:
    Archery (seems pretty cool)
    Boxing (I love watching boxing and fighting, so I thought I'd give it a shot)
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (I did this for a few months, might as well get back into it)
    Fencing (pretty old sport, it'd be cool to take it up)
    Mountaineering (this seems like the best club to see nature, etc. and I like climbing)
    Olympic Handball (played this in primary school, lol -- good fun)
    Rifle (I'm kinda into guns, so should be cool -- plus, I wanna try paintball)
    Table Tennis (watched a bit of this in the Olympics and it looks great)
    Volleyball (played this in PE a few times, enjoyed it; is it mostly girls in it though?)
    Snowsports (I'd love to try skiing/snowboarding)

Anyone got comments on these?

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    maybe we should set up a boards soc and instead of free donoughts we could give out a free mouse mat to everyone?

That's a great idea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I'll be joining
    juggling society
    ninjutsu club
    shaolin club

I also want to try the yoga in hall C if my timetable allows and audition for the fashion show.

edit: I can't seem to figure out how to indent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Will be joining gamesoc anyway, There better be a PES4 event, I would take on the entire campus on that. Retronight also sounds excellent, I still play the old Snes games all the time. I'll join a superleague team too, maybe.

PES4 fan eh? Well I'm afraid you have met your match!

Many a person has said that to me, none are around to tell the story (that's because their not registered, not because I killed them or anything)

Anyway, a PES tournament is always a good idea. I'd say you'd get loads of people up for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

don't worry slash/ed is all talk and no walk :p

i recently mopped the floor with him at a certain retro game he claims to be the king at

i'll probably join gamesoc and maybe chemsoc. tbh last year being a silly liitle fresher i just joined what offered the best deals in the tent, condoms, pizza and chocolate won out!! This year i'll be more careful

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

panda100 wrote:
    Best one to join will be world aid society cos you're doing something good for the world and its a nice friendly society.gonna join labour youth to as there events usually are a bit of craic.maybe we should set up a boards soc and instead of free donoughts we could give out a free mouse mat to everyone?

gotta agree with panda here, i know a couple of the people who started the society and others still involved. i believe that this years "theme", to call it that, is child exploitation. you know ur really nice Gap jeans that were made by some kid whipped and forced to work 16hour days and paid 5cent a month so you can look flashy and everyone can see your builders cleavage... with the exception of panda100 that would be a bad thing... ;)

anyway, i recommend philsoc, gamesoc, tae kwon do, frisbee, juggling, world aid soc, pokersoc, uh..... dramsoc i guess if u have thick skin and the confidance to keep going to auditions then you'll succeed.

obviously i dont suggest joining em all. that'd be over twenty quid which'd be better spent at the boards beers. :D

tribulus wrote:
    don't worry slash/ed is all talk and no walk :p

i recently mopped the floor with him at a certain retro game he claims to be the king at

I was the king, but haven't played in years. I'm now the king of PES4 :)

I smell a challenge already.

Anyways, my best game would probably be Tiger Woods, so hopefully we get to play that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I'll be joining
    Phil Soc - Obviously I have to, being a committee member, we've got a full caledner of speakers(including Noom Chomsky!!!), coffee mornings, films, and night club events planned out. Should be a great year provided I find someone else to get stuck doing postering

Comedy Soc - I know the auditor, lovely guy, wasn't really listening when he told be what was on the agenda for this year but I remember it sounded good

Henry Newman Soc - A bunch of us went to their last talk last year, drank all their booze and made a bit of a mess. They were nice guys, I feel like I owe them.
    Dram Soc - I had good intenetions to get involved last year, I have them again this year... we'll see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What's with Pokersoc? Is this a new one?

I'm surprised the college allows that. Still, I think I might join unless you have to bet an awful alot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Just to warn ya DaveMcG, some of the sports clubs are a tenner to join, so all them could set you back a lot...

I'm thinking of joining the world aid soc and getting involved alright, it seems like a worthy thing to join, and a nice friendly little society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm thinking of GameSoc, Sci-fi Soc, NetSoc, JazzSoc (and any other music societies I can find), and Comp Sci Soc. Not really into many of the clubs. May have a look at the rifle club

beanyb wrote:
    Just to warn ya DaveMcG, some of the sports clubs are a tenner to join, so all them could set you back a lot...

:eek:

I might just stick to the €2 ones then, lol...

We'll see ;) Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Erm... apart from the blatantly obvious (TKD and GameSoc)... I'll be joining Netsoc, Sci-Fi, Mathsoc, and pretty much anything else where I know people who are involved.
    *NERD*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I might be a big ol' nerd myself and join NetSoc. Might check out PhotoSoc, World Aid Soc, Archaeology Soc, PatSoc and Labour Youth. Don't have a clue about clubs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kas

Well, Kirby's been pimpin' TKD so hard it hurts these past few months so I'm gonna join just so I can legitimately kick her ass.

Other than that I'll be joining the

Rifle club, perfect concentration is a rarity for me these days, there it's a necessity or you may as well not pull the trigger.
    Trampoline club, it just looked like so much fun everytime I saw them last year.
    Photosoc, because maybe this year it might be good, maybe.
    Philsoc/L+H, 'cos this year they (forget which) have Noam Chomsky - OMFG, the man's a legend.
    Netsoc, 2GB web hosting for a fiver a year, sweet holy mother.

...and some club that will teach me horse riding. Failing that I'll do it privately elsewhere.

ah, funk it - i'll just join everything like I did last year and decide later. Here I come LawSoc, B+L, C+E,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Well I'm joining mathsoc, newman society, sci-fi soc (are we going to EirtaKon? :D ), gamesoc, maybe philsoc, and maybe musicsoc if its better than last year
    oh yeah and also L&H , lawsoc and C&E - the free food will do as a cheap lunch :)

Well, Kirby's been pimpin' TKD so hard it hurts these past few months so I'm gonna join just so I can legitimately kick her ass.
    We'll see. :p

kas wrote:

Other than that I'll be joining the

Rifle club, perfect concentration is a rarity for me these days, there it's a necessity or you may as well not pull the trigger.
    Trampoline club, it just looked like so much fun everytime I saw them last year.
    Photosoc, because maybe this year it might be good, maybe.
    Philsoc/L+H, 'cos this year they (forget which) have Noam Chomsky - OMFG, the man's a legend.
    Netsoc, 2GB web hosting for a fiver a year, sweet holy mother.

...and some club that will teach me horse riding. Failing that I'll do it privately elsewhere.

ah, funk it - i'll just join everything like I did last year and decide later. Here I come LawSoc, B+L, C+E,
    Chomsky? You're ****ting me! *joins*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kas

We'll see. :p

If I can't kick it in the ring I'll slap it in the corridor, eithers good :p

Oh, and I forgot to mention SciFi soc, their trillions of film evenings are cool and have introduced me to the wonders of Invader Zim and utter crapness of Battle Royale II (Japanese).

Battle Royale 2 is possibly the most disappointing film ever. The original ROCKS!!!

I did see they had a Kevin Smith week and they showed Evil Dead!
    "This is my boomstick!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Netsoc is only 3 euro this year. You still get 2 gigs :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

NetSoc sounds tempting but I'd say it's full of nerds tho' (moi nerd...... c'mon! :rolleyes: :) )

PatSoc is going down a storm this year!

Advertisement