Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresher's week!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

When's the beginners' classes for poker? I joined pokersoc, but I won't be going to any of the shin-digs until I'm able to play, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Poker is easy to play but difficult to win(just made that up). It's a funny game to play cos those people who are really serious about it get really p***d off if your playing it wrong but still winning. I'd say that beginners luck will get you by, watch all the pros fume as you take their money. Great Craic. You should go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I had to join the worst club ever today coz my mate is running it - the orienteering club. I didn't even get anything free for joining, and it cost a hefty €7.00 too!
    I joined archery last year and it was good craic, just in case anyone was wondering about it. It was about the only thing I was ever bothered to turn up to. It will probably suck this year though now that the sports bar is gone...
    I'm considering doin one o' them martial arts type clubs this year, karate or kickboxing or whatever, can anyone recommend me a good one?
    I was a little disappointed with the gamesoc stall; they came off looking like some real hardcore D&D nerdlinger types! Joined for halo tournie though, gonna be great craic!
    Whats this "jazzsoc" supposed to be like then? I don't remember it from last year...

Hey Ro! :D You should definitely join Brazilian Jiu Jitsu if you're looking for a martial art. None of this stupid bowing and forms and that from Karate, or mind tricks; it's the most functional and useful martial art, in my opinion. Supposedly the people in the club are pretty sound, too. I know Colm is, and I met Paul today and he seems pretty sound too.

Plus, I'll be there, what more do you need? :D

And I joined Gamesoc, so I'll see you @ Halo tournie too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

Today I joined French Soc, Retro Soc, Law Soc for the free stuff and Green Soc. Does anyone know if the Animal rights soc is still up and running or is it defunct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

So far I've joined the ELS (which doesn't really count as I'm Auditor), DramSoc, L&H, NurseSoc and LawSoc - so far. Roll on friday, PhilSoc and NetSoc are definitely on thew cxards, amongst others.

I'm a sucker for strawberry cornettos, and I promised some of the nurses I'd join if they bought Vagina Monologues tickets last year when we put it on in Astra.

Anyone going to Alone It Stands in Astra tomorrow night? It's going to be class, saw it four times last year. It's bound to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I finally joined some societies today. Where was GameSoc? I saw NetSoc but not GameSoc.

I joined LawSoc and the L&H society. I joined the latter because these two girls launched a charm offensive at me and I just can't say no to a lady. ;)

I joined PatSoc as well of course. I'm still awaiting my PatPack though.

Haven't joined any clubs yet. Don't wanna splash out €10 on something I can't commit to. I'm sure I'll do boxing and snooker/pool (if it actually exists - where is the guy at the stand?!).

There a couple of other clubs I'm contemplating joining as well but tomorrow's the last chance to join so I have to make my mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kas

I finally joined some societies today. Where was GameSoc? I saw NetSoc but not GameSoc.

Game soc were there (at the back, left of centre).
    Actually they had a cute girl there aswell and the, to be expected, black tee-shirted, long haired, beer bellied boys.

Blush_01 wrote:
    Anyone going to Alone It Stands in Astra tomorrow night? It's going to be class, saw it four times last year. It's bound to be great.

No, but 3 people from the Dramasoc gave a little preview at the start of my Comparative Revolutions lecture... Pretty impressive, I must say!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Actually they had a cute girl there aswell and the, to be expected, black tee-shirted, long haired, beer bellied boys.
    Wouldn't be gamesoc otherwise surely! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

Did anyone manage to join the sociology society? Any time I went to their stand it was empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Bah.... still havent joined any clubs yet. Wanted to join canoeing but stupid me forgot my lack of a talent for swimming might have been a little barrier *slaps himself across the face*. I think I'm just gonna have to randomly join whatever club bribes me best tomorrow.

I think the Iron Stomoch was on today. I forgot about it....... grr. Anyone go? Anyone get puked on? Anyone have pigs knob thrown on their face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Iron stomach wasn't great. Got VERY boring in the middle.
    On a seperate note, I hearily (that is HEARTILY) endorse NetSoc. Everyone should join. EVERYONE.

I joined NerdSoc.... er I mean NetSoc too. I can't even set up my account due to my password not working for starting up the Winscp program........ woooooo.... I REALLY should not be a member of this society!

Why didn't you come to the free pizza and 'refreshments' Zane?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Game soc were there (at the back, left of centre).
    lol :)
    Y'see... hard as it is to believe, us girls play games too :)

Waltons wrote:
    Why didn't you come to the free pizza and 'refreshments' Zane?

Who? What? Where? :confused: :eek:

NetSoc had a meeting in the Blue Room in the Student Centre. We got out around 30 mins ago. Free pizza and beer!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I think the Iron Stomoch was on today. I forgot about it....... grr. Anyone go?

Yea I did. Wasn't as good as previous years. MC wasn't that good at getting the crowd behind the contestants. And not much large volue puking. So a lil disappointing.

Also had some **** dance routine at the start... what was that about???

Yeah, the dance routines were a bit crap. Not very entertaining. I got a lot more entertainment from the people getting skulled with cornettos!

• Advertisement

Waltons wrote:
    NetSoc had a meeting in the Blue Room in the Student Centre. We got out around 30 mins ago. Free pizza and beer!!!!

F**k. They never told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Waltons wrote:
    I got a lot more entertainment from the people getting skulled with cornettos!

Couple of close calls with cans of dutch gold too....

And bottles of that horrible lucozade fitness water the L&H were giving out. Zane, there'll be more netsoc meets. I'll tell you before the next one in case you miss that too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

Tell me too! I've joined so many societies that I'm completely confused about when they're actually doing anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I'm especially confused about the pokersoc. "There's a game on monday".........."Oh...where?" I asked......." :confused: "he replied. I walked away from the stand never to return.

Andore wrote:
    Tell me too! I've joined so many societies that I'm completely confused about when they're actually doing anything :)
    Ok, ok. I'll tell you too! I only found about tonight because I won a free tshirt and they told me about it when I went to pick it up!

There was no guy at the pool/snooker stall AGAIN!!!!

Why oh why is God forbidding me from playing this beautiful sport?

All sorted. Went back in the afternoon and he was there.........for once. :rolleyes:

So, all in all, I joined Pool/snooker, Tennis, and Ultimate Frisbee, and pretty much every society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I joined fencing today, and overall I've joined a bunch of societies, though the only ones I have a real interest in are mathsoc and philsoc, and probably sci-fi.

• Advertisement

Well I joined Rifle today.... boom boom (D4s beware :p ), signed up for Softball without actually paying any cash promising I'd pay on Tuesday and maybe Ningujutisu :confused: since blondie83 put a machete up to my throat at the stall today threatening to chop me if I didn't give it a try....... very dangerous individual I tell ye :rolleyes:

I wanted to join Caving/Potholing since the bloke there was so sound and informative but I'm just not one of those adventure type people. Also why the fook was there no one at the Cricket stall? Their loss.

Is their any kind of 5 a-side soccer thing going out in UCD? I was thinking that there would be huge potential for like a ''mini-superleague'' at night since there are so many sh!te, unfit football enthusiasts out here like moi who wouldn't last 90 mins in the Superleague.

Advertisement