Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresher's week!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I was wondeing the same thing. A mini league would be great craic and i'm sure would get alot of interest. I had planned to join some more clubs on friday but didn't realise today was the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

5 a side would be cool for us unfit/crap ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Well I joined Rifle today.... boom boom (D4s beware :p ), signed up for Softball without actually paying any cash promising I'd pay on Tuesday and maybe Ningujutisu
    Are you gonna go to softball? I joined too and went to training on tuesday and i'm going on saturday. It was good on tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

All sorted. Went back in the afternoon and he was there.........for once. :rolleyes:

Could you tell me where and when you have to meet up for the snooker/pool and any other info as I'd really like to get involved with this. When I went today there was a guy from Boat Soc at the stand. Grrr.

Today I finally joined GameSoc (and helped myself to a lollipop) and signed up for the Halo tournament thingy even though I've never played an X-box, let alone Halo! I'm pretty sure I spotted HappyCrackHead there today. I also thought I saw Seb talking to some guy just ahead of the student centre.

For sports, I joined boxing and fencing. Both require me to sign insurance forms to participate. :o

I wanted to take up BJJ and Table Tennis but they train on Thursdays which is no good for me.

All in all, I signed up for what I wanted to. Well, except for L&H I didn't want to join that one but those ladies worked their charm on me.

Could you tell me where and when you have to meet up for the snooker/pool and any other info as I'd really like to get involved with this. When I went today there was a guy from Boat Soc at the stand. Grrr.

Yeah that guy was there the first time I checked.

In relation to info, I have none, as it never even occurred to me to ask. I was in such a rush to get to my next class. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Well I joined Rifle today.... boom boom (D4s beware :p )

Isn't it like a tenner to join a society? Did you have to mug many old ladies for that? =(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

For sports, I joined boxing and fencing. Both require me to sign insurance forms to participate. :o

Yay go fencing! That waiver thing threw me for a second, but hey what the hell if something happens to me it happens :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

myanmar wrote:
    Steady on there tiger. Your obviously not very experienced in martial arts or asian culture. Bowing is just manners, if you don't shake hands before class or rolling, you have bad manners and, in my experience, people don't like bad manners in sports. I know Colm is a fan of the no frills approach to training, but that doesn't give you the right to call anything stupid. How much karate have you done? If you have a problem with manners maybe you should stick to the gamesoc and netsoc's and not bjj.

I just find karate ridiculous... So many of my friends have come to me telling me about tricks whereby you can temporarily paralize someone's arm without touching them(which they demonstrated on me -- didn't work), or make them sh*t their pants(literally) by gently touching their stomach(I didn't let them demonstrate on me -- just in case). Seems like a load of magic tricks and mind games to make people feel good about their skills, and so use the power of confidence to avoid a fight. I'm allowed to share my opinion, btw...

In relation to info, I have none, as it never even occurred to me to ask. I was in such a rush to get to my next class. :o

Well if they inform you of their times could you post about it? I'm a second year and I still haven't played a game of pool in this place!
    Yay go fencing! That waiver thing threw me for a second, but hey what the hell if something happens to me it happens

I wanna wear that cool mask. :D

Fencing attire in general is totally badass :)

• Advertisement

Well if they inform you of their times could you post about it? I'm a second year and I still haven't played a game of pool in this place!

Will do. I wonder how many people managed to join for the whole 20 minutes he was at the stand this week? :rolleyes:

(You quoted the wrong person in your second quote MNG.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm thinking about joining fencing... I'll probably wait until that Second-chance thing in January or February or whenever, and see how much free time I have, etc.

(You quoted the wrong person in your second quote MNG.)

I knew you were thinking the same thing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ghostchant wrote:
    Fencing attire in general is totally badass :)
    Looks like there's bands in *all* the wrong places tbh. :p

Looks like there's bands in *all* the wrong places tbh. :p

Yeah I just flicked through the sports booklet and noticed that :D
    Well at least the masks are cool - you don't get to wear cool masks in TKD, do you? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

ghostchant wrote:
    Yay go fencing! That waiver thing threw me for a second, but hey what the hell if something happens to me it happens
    Yay we're free to hack your limbs off :D
    (In reality the worst that'll happen are small scratches and bruises)
    I wanna wear that cool mask.
    I found the swords to be much more appealing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Well I joined Rifle today.... boom boom (D4s beware :p ), signed up for Softball without actually paying any cash promising I'd pay on Tuesday and maybe Ningujutisu :confused: since blondie83 put a machete up to my throat at the stall today threatening to chop me if I didn't give it a try....... very dangerous individual I tell ye :rolleyes:

I wanted to join Caving/Potholing since the bloke there was so sound and informative but I'm just not one of those adventure type people. Also why the fook was there no one at the Cricket stall? Their loss.
    Just for the record I want to point out that I'm not some psycho who attacks people with machettes - it was merely a small wooden sword I used! :D Enjoyed being on the stand though, was a great laugh and I saw quite a few people I knew. I know a few friends of mine wanted to join cricket as well actually but there was no one on the stand so they couldn't. Seems a bit pointless having a stand if your not going to use it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Are you gonna go to softball? I joined too and went to training on tuesday and i'm going on saturday. It was good on tuesday.

I'm definitely going to go on Tuesday, was it 5 and where is it? :confused: Bad memory me.... bah. Well sure I'll see you there even though I don't have a clue what you look like.

I was just thinking to myself walking around the Societies tent that there's such a void there without an Alternative Music society...... potential?

What have I joined....... NetSoc, PatSoc, ArchaeologySoc, Games Soc, World Aid Soc....... fingers crossed they'll be better than last years... *cough*F1Soc*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I am so glad that this week is over.

My eyes are actually burning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

F**k. They never told me.
    Sorry about that man, we were a bit pressed for time with freshers week and all and only managed to get our posters up for the event on Wednesday. There'll be plenty of posters up for the rest or our events and keep an eye on the website for more info.
    On a related note, thanks to everyone who joined Netsoc this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I never got a chance to join NetSoc, L&H, Soccer Soc (heh), and a host of other societies and clubs cos I ran out of money.

Is there any way to join societies AFTER freshers week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Yep, go along to an event and sign up there, or send them an email and ask. Most societies get quite a few members after Freshers' Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Oh, I'm so glad that's all over.

Fresher's week is so much less fun when you're working a stand, trying to convince people that they want to give you two euro, avoiding bomber-jacket-Butler, generally running around like a headless chicken and doing it all hungover all the time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

butler is best avoided. what an idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I echo the 'glad its all over' sentiments!! But there were some fun moments... like when the PD's asked me if I was a lecturer and if so would I be interested in joining... the look of shock on their wee tiny fizz's when I informed them that I was a mere student and a Communist to boot!! They must have had a sheltered life, poor souls.

Still, Archaeology had a better year than last for members. And you WILL join, peachy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Oh, I'm so glad that's all over.

Fresher's week is so much less fun when you're working a stand, trying to convince people that they want to give you two euro, avoiding bomber-jacket-Butler, generally running around like a headless chicken and doing it all hungover all the time.
    No it's great! Granted I wasn't a real society so I wasn't actually asking for money, but convincing people that they wanted a poster stuck to them was fun :D I was BeMyFriend(Soc) in case anyone saw / talked to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

Who's bomber-jacket-Butler?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Andore wrote:
    Who's bomber-jacket-Butler?

Richard Butler, societies officer, the oul fella in the green bomber jacket, could be seen driving the C&E golf carts around most evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm definitely going to go on Tuesday, was it 5 and where is it? :confused: Bad memory me.... bah. Well sure I'll see you there even though I don't have a clue what you look like.

Its at 5, last week it was at the back of the student centre, past the hockey pitches, beside the 5-a-side little football enclosed pitches on the astro turf, you'll see people with bats. Its to the right of the car park.
    I've got blonde hair and will probably be looking confused, come find me and say hi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

No it's great! Granted I wasn't a real society so I wasn't actually asking for money, but convincing people that they wanted a poster stuck to them was fun :D I was BeMyFriend(Soc) in case anyone saw / talked to me?
    I saw you or someone wearing one of your posters in the sports expo!

Advertisement