Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nefw World Half Marathon best at Great North Run

Options
  • 18-09-2005 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Tadesse and Tulu win in Newcastle

The race as it happened
    Zersenay Tadesse set a new world best for the half-marathon as he destroyed a class field to win the Great North Run.
    Tadesse broke away from pre-race Dejene Berhanu and kept accelerating through the later stages to win in a staggering 59 minutes and five seconds.

Ethiopia's Deratu Tulu blew away her rivals to win the women's elite race from her compatriot Worknesh Kidane.

Tulu set a quick early pace and broke away from Kidane and Berhane Adere on a fast downhill section at nine miles.

She came home in 1hr 7 mins 3 secs to become the first Ethiopian woman to win the event.

Kidane was overtaken by Latvia's Jelena Prokopcuka in the last mile but fought back to take second.

I didn't know I had broken the record

Zersenay Tadesse

Tulu said: "I thought it would be a much harder race.

"It has always been my ambition to win this event. I have tried two or three times before but on this occasion I knew I was coming into the race injury-free."

Tadesse's winning time was a second quicker than Paul Tergat's previous world half-marathon best.

But it will not count as a world record because the course loses too much elevation over its 13.1 miles.

Tadesse said: "I didn't know I had broken the record. I didn't expect to do it."

Britons sixth

John Mayock was the first Briton home, in sixth - taking over a minute off his personal best and beating rival Jon Brown by two places.

Mayock said: "I am really pleased. I didn't expect to be two places in front of Jon. I can't remember the last time I beat him."

Britain's Mara Yamauchi ran an excellent race to finish sixth in the women's race, beating one of the pre-race favourites Catherine Ndereba.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

I've just been watching the highlights on BBC - and was very delighted to see that Mark Carroll finished 5th. Well done, Mark

Advertisement