Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam - Organised by ISP ?

• 18-09-2005 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Am I am the only one this is happening to?

I signed up with a well known ISP who offers spam filtering/protection for €3 per month. I didn't take the option.

Naturally when I signed up I got a brand new email address. The very first time I logged in to check/send mail I was flooded with spam. Now I would expect that over time I would get caught up in mailing lists etc and the spam would build up gradually. But a flood of spam on my first login is a bit much. I spoke to a friend who recently signed up with the same ISP but took up the €3 offer and he says he has never once had a spam email.

Is this too much of a coincidence or what? Am I being spammed by my own ISP to squeeze an extra €3 per month out of me? This is almost a protection racket as far as I can see.

What do you think? Am I being paranoid ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Do you have a junk mail filter setting?

If so set it to high or medium, look for options or tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The point is that its a brand new email address, it can't possibly be on spam lists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

The point is that its a brand new email address, it can't possibly be on spam lists...

Dictionary attack or similar- eg I'd guess patmurphy@someisp.ie is good bet for receiving spam ?
    or did someone have that email address previously?
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Fair point. But my name is Burke and I'm living in France. I'm not sure that it's all that common a name down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

It's more than a bit suspicious to be honest. I'm saying the obvious when I suspect them of forwarding your new email address to spam companies to make you get their anti spam software. Then again I am extremely cynical when it comes to ISP's..

• Advertisement
Advertisement