Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless setup problems

• 18-09-2005 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭

I installed a belkin wireless router yesterday and followed the instructions to a tee. All worked fine until when I tried to add security (WEP). I selected 128bit WEP and typed a "Pass-phrase?" but then I instantly got disconnected (wirelessly) from the router. I opened my wireless properties for my laptop but wasn't sure what to do and ended up getting lost. So I went back to my router properties and disabled WEP again and all was fine again. Anyway I tried a few different things to no avail. I got so muddled with network keys and the like that on the router properties I saw an option to "restore factory settings" and decided to click it!! By the way, I did this through "http://192.168.2.1"

NOW I HAVE NO BROADBAND!! I still have the icon in the taskbar and the little screens still flash when I try to load a web page but I just get the "page not found" page on Internet explorer. I removed the router from the setup and just returned to my previous setup of ethernet cable straight from box on wall to laptop but I still have the same problem. I've tried the "repair" option when I leftclick the task bar option but it says "cant renew IP address.

I'm with Irish Broadband. 1Mb breeze

Can anybody please HELP? ( and why is WEP so damn complicated?)

PS. I did have a previous thread "Irishbroadband and a wireless router but I replaced that asdl router with a new wireless-G one (Belkin)

PPS. Unfortunatly I system restore is not an option as I turned it off for a previous virus problem and forgot to turn it back on and YES I have kicked myself several times!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Firstly, when you turned on WEP, you were connected via wireless, yeah?
    So I would imagine that what happened was that you basically turned on encryption on the network, but never entered the WEP key to gain access to the network from your client (i.e. disconnect from the network, re-connect, and then get asked and supply the WEP key (which you set in your router properties page).

Secondly, was the router supplied to you pre-configured? Restoring factory settings might remove the required username and password for your internet access supplier as well as any other configuration changes you would have made... Try re-enter all of the information you originally entered when you setup/configured the router..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yea I was connected via wireless and Ethernet cable. When I turned/setup on WEP I entered a "passphrase". The wireless icon on the taskbar immediately came up with a red cross over it but I could still use internet through phisical cable. I opened my wireless properties for my laptop and entered the "passphrase" I entered previously in the network key box but it said this had to be 26 keys long (128bit encryption)

The only change I made was to change the SSID from belkin54g to "laptop" all the other settings were done automatically through the cd that came with the router ( if you know what I mean.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

When you enter the pass-phrase on the router, it is converted to a 128 bit key (13 pairs of Hex values), e.g. A0:B3:88:1C..... etc... The pass-phrase is only used to create the 128 bit key..

This is what you need to type in on the WLAN clients, not the pass-phrase..

As for the factory settings on the router, I'm not too sure on this one.. Are you saying that you've removed the wireless router, and you're still having problems (i.e. can't get internet access for your original configuration)? if this is the case, it sounds like a problem with your internet supplier...

Does your router software have a Diagnostics page?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

If you restored the router to factory settings, all the login information you originally configured it with will have been wiped.

Reconfigure!

Might be an idea to set WEP up using a wired connection to the router if possible, with the wireless laptop beside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lazareus

Scotty # wrote:
    the way, I did this through "http://192.168.2.1"

If u got to the address above u used(if its like mine) on the left hane side there should be a list like home, wireless, expert mode.
    Click on wireless and u should see ecryption key with a 28 key wep pass.
    Copy it and when it asks on ur laptop for the key pate or type it in,

After this u should never have to type it in again unless u change the settings or reboot ur router

hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement