Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100 million down the drain on new IT system and counting...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Sounds like this project suffered from the classic Public Sector big IT-project issues:

1) Project Creep/Fuzzy project boundaries
    2) Unclear lines of responsibility (11 Health Boards, anyone?)
    3) Over-ambitious implementation expectations

SAP R/3 is a complex system. It's run successfully in 1000's of companies worldwide. But if implemented badly it can be a total disaster. US Drug-distrubutor FoxMeyer went Chapter 11 in the US because of a failed SAP R/3 implementation. In Denmark, both Lego and Bang & Olfson nearly went under from bodged implementations of SAP R/3.

However, €150m is chicken-feed compared to the estimated 1bn Sterling lost in failed Government IT projects in the UK in the last ten years.

You'd swear that large IT projects are always successful. There is no gaurentee.

Even with the motor tax online system - you still cannot tax a commercail vehicle.

The public services broker is being awaited.

IT projects fail as well as succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

IBM implement a lot of Oracle s/w, including Oracle applications as well as Oracle's database.

IBM implement DB2. The only times they would implement Oracle if the requirement is requested by the customer or is a limitation of the software being sold (which might be what SAP needs).

My IEEE mag came in the door, funny enough appears the FBI have the same problem. :)

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/sep05/1455

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Cork wrote:
    You'd swear that large IT projects are always successful. There is no gaurentee.
    Actually, 80% of IT projects fail.

Some organisations are better than others at damage limitation. That's the real key to success in IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

There is a reasonable level of failure but surely 1650% over budget is inexpliciple:
    "The real problem is the fact that in the health service, we have a jumble of incoherence as far as work practices are concerned, we've thousands of pay variations, thousands of rosters, many different grade structures and individual working arrangements," she said.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/6443859?view=Eircomnet

If the government was still in their first year this would be entirely legitimate but the Tainaiste is blaming the serving Minister for Finance and the serving Minister for Ent, Trade & Employment for the problem. They have been in office for eight years and four months.

I tend to agree with the INO
    The Irish Nurses' Organisation welcomed the decision to suspend the rollout of PPARS, which it described as "an unstoppable, out of control project which took precedence over all other issues including patient care".

Unfortunately it is not only this project that is out of control

1> Port Tunnel 444m
    2> South Wharf 350m

There is no accountability whatsoever in this Country; when will the electorate actually learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

In Dublin it was done by a company called dataconversion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Have you factored in software license costs, hardware costs, backup facilities etc into your calculation?

I would expect basic stuff like licenses, hardware and backup facilities to be included in the initial quotation received.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

FergByrne wrote:
    In the light of the eur70m spent on 'consultancy' with IBM and Deloitte and Touche for the health service payroll, has anybody taken a look at the timesheets? Even charging eur500 an hour, how could you account for 140,000 man-hours consulting on a payroll system?

The problem is that management consultancy firms basically employ overpaid MBAs with little or no accountability. The people who make management decisions are either business "managers" (i.e., non-skilled morons who are most defintely not leaders but with a 50 grand MBA jack-of-all-traders) and politicians (almost the same - no specific skills in anything and no accountability).

Is anyone goign to get fired for this?

The Luas overrun I think was okay, as the result is basically an excellent service. However, the Garda project and the Health computer project are basically methods to squander cash and produce nothing at all - simply transfer taxpayer funds to friends of friends who work in the management companies/consultancies.

Did they ask a single nurse or porter or anyone who actually does anything in a hospital - the guy who does the payroll for isntance - what would work best? Or did someone with no accountability or experience but witha freshly printed MBA diploma decide what would be best?

There's your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

However, €150m is chicken-feed compared to the estimated 1bn Sterling lost in failed Government IT projects in the UK in the last ten years.

Actually, its about 10%, and if you compare the size of the two countries and take into consideration that this is by no means the only disastrously over-budget IT project that the Irish government has been involved in over the past 10 years, you'll quickly see that this is no way to brush it aside.

All it shows is that we're arguably in the same disastrous boat as other governments. I don't see "you're only as crap as the rest of them, not actualy worse" as being any sort of mitigation.
    Just out of interest does anyone know what happens if they did stop the rollout of PPARS as the INO ask? Is there an existing system there that can cope.
    Its a payroll system. Are they not currently being paid?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The Luas overrun I think was okay, as the result is basically an excellent service. However, the Garda project and the Health computer project are basically methods to squander cash and produce nothing at all

Is that because you can't see any direct benefit from the Garda system (taking the one thats in production), or because you can show that there isn't one?

jc

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mailman wrote:
    The stuff described above is fairly standard and would have needed practically no customising and what customising is needed would have already have been done for other countries health sectors already.
    It's been several years since I got my R/3 certification, and I haven't kept it up to date, but...

In my experience, the extent to which R/3 needs to be customised is inversely proportional to the extent to which the organisation is prepared to change its work practices to fit into the SAP mould. The implementation I worked on was in an environment where we decided to more-or-less throw away our existing business practices and re-engineer them to fit the (admittedly very good) SAP model. Most of the unsuccessful implementations I've heard about were as a result of attempting to over-customise R/3 to work with less-than-logical workflows.

From what I've heard about the HR situation in the HSE, it fits firmly into the latter category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

oscarBravo wrote:
    Most of the unsuccessful implementations I've heard about were as a result of attempting to over-customise R/3 to work with less-than-logical workflows.

From what I've heard about the HR situation in the HSE, it fits firmly into the latter category.
    Indeed, its hard to see in principle why the health services should find it especially hard to implement a payroll system. Harney is pretty much confirming what you are saying with the statement below. Clearly a computer won’t bring coherence to the management of the health services.
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/ireland/Full_Story/did-sgJXBnlRjAfxI.asp
    Ms Harney argued that PPARS had successfully exposed huge 'incoherence' and inconsistencies in wage and rostering arrangements among the country's 100,000 health employees.
    Incidently, has anyone any idea what Deloitte’s IT consultancy turnover would be in a year? Just to get a handle on what proportion of their income is account for by PPARS.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2005/1005/574573571HM1PAY1.html
    Overpayments to health service staff have multiplied since the partial introduction of a controversial new payroll system which has cost millions and which Minister for Health Mary Harney admitted yesterday may now have to be scrapped, write Eithne Donnellan and Liam Reid.
    The Irish Times has learned that overpayments to staff now total several million euro and informed sources confirmed last night that efforts to recoup the money from staff have been unsuccessful in some instances.
    It also emerged that the Department of Finance raised serious concerns about the cost and management of the computerised payroll system, PPARs, last June.
    Following a meeting with officials from the Department of Health and Health Service Executive, computer experts from the Department of Finance wrote in a memo that they had "serious concerns at the nature and cost of the support services" being provided by the consultants on the project, Deloitte, which has been paid €13.5 million in 2005 alone.
    "We could not determine from the meeting what the nature of the value added being provided by Deloitte was," the memo said, suggesting the pay rates for the consultants might be too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

A very good expose of the whole consultancy scam can be found here

www.consulting-moneymachine.com

It's very readable, and although the author unmercilessly exposes the blatant rip offs and inherent flaws in the system, he does appear to have been at his job and retain a certain affection for it.

The PPARS project ( just look at their blissfully ignorant web-site www.ppars.ie ) appears to have been a spectacular collision of rapacious consulting companies and political incompetence (at the health board level, in fairness) .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes