Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this title make sense?, well does it?

• 18-09-2005 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

So thats my question, when you have a question mark can you follow it with a coma?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I think it would be better to say -
    Does this title make sense? Well, does it?

The question mark marks the end of the sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

yes that's true, I did'nt think the title out too well, my question is, is it possible, to follow a question mark directly with a coma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I don't know any rule about it, but I cannot think of a situation where it would happen. Perhaps in a quoting context?

No you never use it, not even in a quoting context. It just doesn't make logical sense.

If you are asking two separate questions, like the one above, you just use a question mark for each one:

Does this title make sense? Well, does it?

If you are asking two questions that are linked in some way, that they are many options of a single answer or that you want them to appear continuous, then you use a comma for each option/statement, then a question mark at the end, eg.:

Shall I take the bus, the car, or the train? (Notice that although "Shall I take the bus? The car? The train?" is also correct, it is not grammatically suitable. On the other hand, if it were "Shall I take the bus? Or perhaps the car? Maybe even the train?", it would be suitable.

There is no context in which a question mark is followed a comma, as a question mark can do all that a comma does, plus more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, you can not. A question mark equals a full stop.

Ergo: Does this title make sense? Well does it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

A comma following a question mark (or for that matter an exclamation mark, or the accursed interrobang) is sometimes seen, especially by those (nerds for the most part) who attempt to place logic at the heart of their punctuation (the same people who would always put a period inside parenthesis or quotes to mark the sentence as wholely contained therein).

However, this is not generally accepted as correct.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not unless you have a single or double quote separating them.
    "Does this title make sense?", asked Sandals.

Advertisement