Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coca cola RIP OFF

Options
  • 18-09-2005 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

went into a spar yesterday went to buy a can of coke ...noticed it was flashed 60c .Ie the price was written on it as 60c went to buy it ...charged 99c i said that it was supposed to be 60c ..the fella says oh no thats the english price ...i said why does it have 60c written on it ...he just said oh well thats our price for it..so left it there went down the road and got my 60c can

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Good man ;)
    I suppose the shopkeepper is too thick to know that they don't have cents in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

99cent is very expensive for a can. 60 ent sounds about right.

Discussed here.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

went into a spar yesterday went to buy a can of coke ...noticed it was flashed 60c .Ie the price was written on it as 60c went to buy it ...charged 99c i said that it was supposed to be 60c ..the fella says oh no thats the english price
    I didn't realise the UK went to Euros! Amazing!

I've seen that too. A local convienice rip-off merchant charges 80c for cans of Coke when 60c is clearly marked on the can.

Clearly a breach of something or other - write a letter of complaint to Carmel Foley's office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Wouldn't that price just be RRP, recommended retail price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I didn't realise the UK went to Euros! Amazing!

They did? That's news to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Genghis

FX Meister wrote:
    Wouldn't that price just be RRP, recommended retail price?

AFAIK Coke are doing a promotion whereby the price 60c is actually printed on the can. Therefore it is not simply an RRP, it would be a Coke-supported promotion. In other words, Coke will be rebating the retailer to sell at the lower price for a limited period of time. By charging above the price the retailer is effectively cashing in twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

.opps

In the retail game the price shown on a can like that is called a "flash pack", the price is printed on the product. Flash packs are sold at a different price to regular prices by the wholesaler. It is not illegal to sell the product for any price you want but more difficult. Technically it is false advertising in Ireland unless the price is covered.
    Dead right not to buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, but it's not a "Coca cola RIP OFF" as you call the thread, its Spar who are ripping you off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

good 4u m8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

well whoever said ireland was more expensive than france was misstaken, u pay 1,50 for a can of coke here, unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

i'd trade a 1.50 coke can for a 35 hour working week.

C'est vrai!

Also, you tell him homie, school that mother...

I'm tired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

grasshopa wrote:

mmm maybe, but it doesnt benefit a *poor struggling* Erasmus student over here for the yr who jus wants a can of mineral!! oh and on that note why do they not sell diet coke/coca light everywhere they sell coke :mad:
    *cailin is mad that she has to drink coke rather than her beloved coca light*

ur only 17 grasshopa, why do u care bout the length of the working week??

Buy it in muiti-packs in the supermarket for €3.29 for 6. That's what I do. Works out about 66c each. That's what the French do. Ed's is the cheapest, they make LIDL look like daylight robbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Okay, it's not Coca Cola and I have not tasted it, but I saw Virgin Cola yesterday in "€uro 2" (formerly Pound City). 5 cans for €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dr. Evil

went into a spar yesterday went to buy a can of coke ...noticed it was flashed 60c .Ie the price was written on it as 60c went to buy it ...charged 99c i said that it was supposed to be 60c ..the fella says oh no thats the english price ...i said why does it have 60c written on it ...he just said oh well thats our price for it..so left it there went down the road and got my 60c can

Well I did a small experiment in both Super Valu and Dunnes Stores. I spent €46.49 in Super Valu and €65.32 in Dunnes Stores. However, according to the price tags I should have spent €44.10 and €60.18 respectively. :mad:

So we have: SUPER VALU 5% RIP OFF, DUNNES 8% RIP OFF. :(

Next time you go shopping, try my small experiment, it'd be interesting to see how price tags are applied. :)

grasshopa wrote:

C'est vrai!

Also, you tell him homie, school that mother...

I'm tired

The french don't have enough jobs for people living there and we don't have enough people.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

well whoever said ireland was more expensive than france was misstaken, u pay 1,50 for a can of coke here, unreal.

where are u based? ...u pay 80c-€1 here in Nantes and if anything coke is the exception rather than the norm, i've hardly found anything more expensive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AFAIK if the price is listed on it, it must be sold at that price. The term is "flashed price", different from RRP.
    My mate works in a newsagent and the manager overcharges on everything, he goes mental when flashed stuff comes in, they told me they have to charge that. He sticks to non-flashed crisps and bars so he can screw customers, also the flashed prices show up his won extortionate prices by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

went into a spar yesterday went to buy a can of coke ...noticed it was flashed 60c
    Genghis wrote:
    AFAIK Coke are doing a promotion whereby the price 60c is actually printed on the can.
    billstraghten: Based on what Genghis has written, please report this store to Coca Cola Ireland (1800-317-318).
    Dr. Evil wrote:
    So we have: SUPER VALU 5% RIP OFF, DUNNES 8% RIP OFF.
    Please report these errors to the store managers, or the Head Offices. Neither store will change if you don't report the error. It may be simple human error were price tag and computer are out of sync. Let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its not cheaper... well Paris is not. i found it way more expesive than Dublin... EXCEPT for wine..

daymobrew wrote:
    billstraghten: Based on what Genghis has written, please report this store to Coca Cola Ireland (1800-317-318).

Please report these errors to the store managers, or the Head Offices. Neither store will change if you don't report the error. It may be simple human error were price tag and computer are out of sync. Let them know.

Coca Cola have no right to dictate price! The people to contact are consumer right s for false pricing . If the price is covered however they can sell it for what ever price they like.

If the price is covered however they can sell it for what ever price they like.

Err no, if a product has two prices on it ie double stickered, the consumer has a legal right to purchase the product at the lower price unless there is reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of the lower priced sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Hagar wrote:
    Err no, if a product has two prices on it ie double stickered, the consumer has a legal right to purchase the product at the lower price unless there is reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of the lower priced sticker.

Not true, shops can charge anything they want for something. its up to the consumer if he wants to pay. they are providing a service, take it or leave it, personally i leave it as i dont see any value in paying 1.50 for a half liter of coke but then again thats just me. everyone is different.

Advertisement