Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA wrong diagnosis

• 18-09-2005 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi,
    My car wouldn't start last week, so I called out the AA. The mechanic that came out had a look and told me that the fuel pump was gone, so he organised a tow truck to bring it to my local garage. I rang ahead to the garage to tell them the car was being brought in and that it needed a new fuel pump.

The garage rang me the following day to say that the fuel pump was fitted, but the car still wouldn't start. After further investigation it turned out that there was a problem with the immobiliser, so there was nothing wrong with the fuel pump. I was charged €350 for new fuel pump and fitting. Have I any comeback with the AA in this case?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

check their terms and conditions - I would presume you have no comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kbannon wrote:
    check their terms and conditions - I would presume you have no comeback
    They have the tightest terms and conditions going. There is no point getting in a row with them. They will disclaim liability as you told the garage to change the pump. What you should have done is to have told them nothing and to let them sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

So the garage did no diagnosis themselves? You think that they would have backed up the "field diagnosis" with a workshop evaluation. Was the garage your regular garage?

I would write to both parties explaining the situation and ask for your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Bond-007 wrote:
    They have the tightest terms and conditions going. There is no point getting in a row with them. They will disclaim liability as you told the garage to change the pump. What you should have done is to have told them nothing and to let them sort it out.

I know, that's what I thought afterwards, but obviously was too late. The garage are not claiming any responsibility, saying the AA said it was a fuel pump issue. However, they did give me a discount (which turned out to be about 150e as I got a lot of other work done too). I'll write to the AA, not expecting any success though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

happened to me too, told me my head gasket was gone when it was the turbo that failed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What's the point of them giving advice? It would appear that the best thing that the AA should do is tow you to a garage. If appears that the AA man should given a verbal disclaimer i.e. this is my diagnosis you should get a full evaluation at your garage.

The AA advert suggests that they are great for everything from fixing cars to delivering babies. If their mechanical diagnosis is as inaccurate as it seems I wouldn't be letting them deliver babies!!

Advertisement