Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New O2 Tariffs

• 18-09-2005 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

I'm suprised no one's mentioned the new o2 tariffs yet. They were launched last Monday I think.
    Here's the link
    Seems pretty good to me. I'm not on o2 though. I like the text 400 add on.
    Texts included in the pirce plan are good too.
    And minutes instead of free call value makes it a lot easier to understand.

Of course I'm on Vodafone so it doesn't make too much of a difference to me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting ... At long last O2 have introduced packages that include minutes rather than the pathetic free value offers.

A full list of all the packages is here : http://web.o2.ie/personal/tariffs/pay_monthly/compare.jsp . Still 3 have the best value packages by miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

they're not that cheap really.. and existing customers must agree to an 18 month!!!! :eek: contract to avail of these rather than just switch people automatically to the equivalent package (remind anyone of UTV Clicksilver?) :(

poor tbh.
    Doesnt come near 3.
    Good few I know saying goodbye voda and good bye o2 at this stage.
    Thats business :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    they're not that cheap really.. and existing customers must agree to an 18 month!!!! :eek: contract to avail of these rather than just switch people automatically to the equivalent package (remind anyone of UTV Clicksilver?) :(
    is that not just if you want 25% more minutes (according to the link above)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Well I got a deal in CPW after upgrading on O2 and I got 6 months free line rental with free inclusive calls worth €20 a month, 250 free webtext messages that can be international or irish (ie worth up to €62.50 per month) and 100 free irish text messages and 25 mins of free international calls as my free add-on.

These all add up to about €100 a month in value. After the 6 months I can cut the tariff etc. as appropriate.

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    they're not that cheap really.. and existing customers must agree to an 18 month!!!! :eek:

:(:( Can they do this ??? I know a mate on their packages at the moment and he was told he could switch to any package at any stage. That's outrageous that they hook you in for 18 months and don't even state that on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I tried out their anytime tariff about 2 years ago (it was 32c then) but was only somewhat impressed and changed to day/night rates. You only benifit really if you make calls during the day on this type of tariff, because it is the same at night and at weekend which otherwise would be cheaper.

My use of the phone is somewhat limited as I do not "chat" but text more so my choice of going to O2 was the fact that they offered "money off" rather than minutes, which I always felt were designed in such a way that you either felt you had to talk to make use of the minutes when ordinarily wouldn't or you were given a large amount of minutes that you would not use. An example of which is the 200 call a friend for free minutes from vodafone.

Oh and as regards :
    Fungus wrote:
    :(:( Can they do this ??? I know a mate on their packages at the moment and he was told he could switch to any package at any stage. That's outrageous that they hook you in for 18 months and don't even state that on their website.

The 18month contract is listed on the tariffs page mentioned in an earlier post:

"Existing customers, get 25% additional minutes if you sign up to an 18 month contract before December 31st 2005. Terms and conditions apply."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Is there any way to get the 400 texts @ E20 add-on on Speak Easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm pretty sure that'd be a no, it's an incentive to go onto bill pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 j26

Well, the Easy life 2000 suits my needs brilliantly, so I've signed up (and got a SE K750i for €29 in the process).
    Most of my calls will be in the evening to landlines, so I'm getting a great deal. 2000 minutes is over an hour a day!

And if it doesn't suit, I can change tariff after 6 months, so if it ain't perfect, it's no biggie. I might add on the 40 picture messages a month if I find myself using a lot of them, but apart from that I'm happy.

I don't think there is a perfect tariff, but this one is very good for me, given my phone usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I'm an o2 customer and was interested in switchin to the easylife 150 (€20pm) I had the choices 5 before (€15pm).
    I think this tariff suits me well but when I was talking to the o2 CSR she said that I would have to commit to o2 for 12 months just to switch to the tariff.

I'm still tempted to switch but am upset with the requirement to stay with them for another 12 months, its a bit cheeky! Maybe its a sign of desperation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

flodis79 wrote:
    Is there any way to get the 400 texts @ E20 add-on on Speak Easy?

*105#

from O2 site....

You can choose from 400 texts for €20, 200 texts for €15 or 100 texts for €7.50. You can text your friends on any Irish network, the only exceptions are international, roaming and premium texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

jrey1981 wrote:
    250 free webtext messages that can be international or irish (ie worth up to €62.50 per month)
    thats available to all o2 customers as far as i'm aware, and vodafone have something similar though with 300 messages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Oh I didnt know that. Very good value anyway.

As I will be on the Choices 20+ until my 6 months is up, does anyone know if I will still be able to go down to the 5+ after that or will I have to go on one of the new tariffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

While these changes obviously suit some people, they are not value driven. O2 old tariffs offered the possibilty of running a phone for €15 a month, with everything included. I have a landline, an office phone, Skype and often send texts from the website. So I do not generally make long calls on the mobile except when on the road. The value system meant that all types of calls were part of the package, I generally don't use my full value most months but while on holiday I burn up the surplus. These new tariffs mean that you could probably not run a phone for less than €25 as any package excludes certain types of calls. Welcome to ripoff Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The old 15euro a month tariff was awfully bad value though.

ardmacha wrote:
    These new tariffs mean that you could probably not run a phone for less than €25 as any package excludes certain types of calls. Welcome to ripoff Ireland.
    With respect thats nonsense.
    You could just as easily get a meteor pay as you go phone or just the sim and put a tenner credit in it on anytime plus and call mobiles and landlines for 20c a minute, if you use your mobile that little.That will pay for an hour a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

my o2 bill per month was €65, so i rang up and got easy life 20, because most of my calls are received, and i havnt been using the phone for a while, i think i get 150 mins off peak

and i signed up for that 25% free minutes aswell, i dont see myself moving from o2 for a few years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Earthman wrote:
    With respect thats nonsense.
    You could just as easily get a meteor pay as you go phone or just the sim and put a tenner credit in it on anytime plus and call mobiles and landlines for 20c a minute, if you use your mobile that little.That will pay for an hour a month.

Of course I could. However I don't need a phone while at home, I need it when not at home. Pay as you go phones do not roam to all countries, hence the phone doesn't work when it would be most useful. Perhaps you never go anywhere, don't assume that everyone is equally untravelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 j26

ardmacha wrote:
    Of course I could. However I don't need a phone while at home, I need it when not at home. Pay as you go phones do not roam to all countries, hence the phone doesn't work when it would be most useful. Perhaps you never go anywhere, don't assume that everyone is equally untravelled.
    In fairness though, because the new tariff structure doesn't suit your particular needs, it's hardly an example of Rip-Off Ireland. The tariffs are likely to suit most people better and allow more people to pay less. My phone usage was about to go through the roof, but the tariff I picked enables me to keep the cost down to something reasonable.

Maybe a PAYG phone would be better for you. At present you are paying a tenner a month for line rental and accumulating up to a fiver a month in calls. That means you are paying €180 for €60 credit. Assuming you were to spend a fiver a month on calls on PAYG, you would still be able to top up €120 every year for roaming. If you set it up correctly it will work in many places.

Do you really visit all countries? Is it that important that you can be contacted every country in the world? Vodafone do these countries.
    rtg_planet.gif

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote:
    Pay as you go phones do not roam to all countries, hence the phone doesn't work when it would be most useful.

They do with Meteor. O2 PAYG and Vodafone PAYG do not offer extensive romaing for PAYG customers but with Meteor PAYG you can raom in in about 132 countires with PAYG. The down side is that you have to top up by 60 Euro in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I went for the Active Life 500 option with a further 18 month contract as I like O2 and generally there CS is pretty good, so I get 625 Anytime Minutes a Month now and 250 texts plus 250 webtext.

It may seem high for €85 but my bills work out around €100+ a month so may bring them down and if you were prepaid the average you would spend a month would be about the same as a €20 top up here and there mounts up.

Although my only crib is GPRS as it is still far to expensive, pulled down a meg off info with my former xda II and it cost me €8.33 for that little experiment so will keep it to the minimum.

Now I am waiting for O2 3G and were sucking diesel but I'll say it will be much better than vodafone as they are taking there time fine tuning it, so fingers crossed.

Advertisement