Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Expectations

• 18-09-2005 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

dont know what the film was about but i thought it would be a clever title ;)

yaknow before you listen to an album that youve heard so many great things about and you have HUGE expectations of it.. then when you listen to it its not great... and it works the otherway too if you have low expectations of something and then you realise its unbelievable..

but anyway i was wondering if anyone had huge expectations of some band/album/song that when they listened to they thought it was BETTER than what they had thought?

i dont think its ever happened to me... but it worked in the other way in a huge way.. i didn't know who opeth were and never heard anything good about them when i listened to blackwater park i nearly died because it was so good so i had my hopes so high for the other albums and when i listened to them i was hugely let down... but im sure if i had listened to one of those albums first i would have loved it... yaknow?

anyway back to my original Q... anything better than something you had huge expectations for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Carnun Rising, Mourning Beloveth, and Rotting Christ. Saw them all at Day of Darkness down in Co.Laoise. Have got the full Rotting Christ Discography, and am album for each of the other two, unf*cking believable, superb bands. Had never even heard of either of them before Day of Darkness either, was pleasently surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Godspeed You Black Emperor. Read that they were great and the good people at Road Records recommended "Lift Your Skinny Fists" to me. The needle hit the record and my jaw hit the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Always expect the worst, that way when something does go your way, you're twice as happy, but you won't be as dissapointed when things don't go your way.

Little personal philosophy of mine there, and it works well with music. Basically, even when things get hyped, I try not to have any expectations. Although with that said, I was preparing myself for the new Opeth album to be ****e, but I find myself pleasantly suprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Always heard a lot bout Dream Theater and people advising me to get some of their stuff...had big expectations from 'em and got even more back! Got Faliing Into Infinity...creamed my pants so much I went back a few days later n got Images & Words and Metropolis Pt. 2, had ta change my pants hourly...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

A few months ago I was in Zhivago in Galway and I seen a CD for 4 euro with a cool cover... Well ya know what they say: never judge a book by it's cover!

So I bought it! (Because it wasn't a book, it was a CD)
    Anyway it was an album by a Finnish band called Manitou who I never heard of before (but they're signed to Rage of Achilles so I figured they must have something going for them)
    Anyways, "The Mad Moon Rising" -absolutely excellent album, so when I got round to listened to it I couldn't believe it. *4 euro - Quality!

• Advertisement
Advertisement