Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KoRn

• 18-09-2005 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

Hey,I know alot of people on here might not like this band.
    But i really do,they were one of the first Rock/Metal bands i got into.
    Thanks to them i listen to some great music Death,Opeth,Alice In Chains and the list goes on.....

They are probably one of my favorite.And i know they aren't the most musically talented band,but all the different instruments fit together(if you know what i mean).
    I believe when they came out first that they were a very innovitive.Nobody had ever sounded like they did.

They created a whole new genre of Hard Rock/Metal(even if im not the biggest fan).And if there weren't so many lame imitators(spelling??) they might not have lost a fair bit of their credibility(again spelling??)

What do other people think of them?(feel free to contest anything i have said)

Oh,and as a side note,has anybody heard their song Twizted Transistor thats going around

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I hate their music now but in my day I was quite a fan. It's been a few years since I listened to their stuff.

I'd hardly go so far as to say they steered me into the music I listen to now but then again I don't really know how my musical tastes evolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

when you listen to their debut Korn it still stands as a fantastic CD against all these "nu metal" bands these days. Blind still gives me shivers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Cant say I am a huge fan or anything but I did like a couple of there songs particularly "freak on a leash" but they have gone to crap with their last album. what the hell was that all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

When I was younger I thought they were quite good, and have a few of their albums on tape and CD, which at this point I'm fairly ashamed to say it but I won't deny it. They were distracting for a while, I have to say.

These days I do find I can't listen to them, and say to myself "What did I see in them?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Take A Look In The Mirror wasn't that good TBH,but thats what happened when they listen to their fans.
    All of them were complaining about how they should go back to their roots,and then when they did it for them they compained that it sounded too much like their old stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah, Korn are great. I'm wearing a Korn hoody right now, incidentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

They're a kwerky ickle band, some of the songs are just so guttural sounding it's beautiful! The bassist is the star attraction, some of the stuff he does is why they have such a unique sound...well that a jonathan makin lotsa funky azz noises...can see how he influenced Dave from Disturbed (which are a mighty tasty band also I must say!)
    Yes they spawned untold amounts of filth (ESPECIALLY limp bizkit...ewww) but they inspire a decent couple, and they themselves are quite original n not too bad at all at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They have a few good songs, but overall I wouldn't be a big fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

korn never really saw what was good in them, they had a few alright songs but their bass sound was completely off putting and it's the only thing i hear in their songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

dont really like them, although they have a couple of good songs. The bf is a big fan but stopped listening to their new stuff, as he reckons they've gone downhill. Should never be forgiven for spawning nu-metal though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

If anyones to blame for spawning Nu Metal ( unintentionally ) its Faith no More. I love FNM myself as would most i assume. Korn were alright, not **** but not amazing either if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

well I dont know about FNM - but yes Korn were one of the fore runners for what because nu-Metal.

Never/still dont understand the hype behind them - I'm sure other people like/liked them - just not my cup o' tae

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Amazingly I think Korn are actually ok (at times). They've good a few good riffs to their name although that rap they did with Ice Cube a while back I would still rate as possibly the Worst Song Ever.

Doctor J wrote:
    Amazingly I think Korn are actually ok (at times). They've good a few good riffs to their name although that rap they did with Ice Cube a while back I would still rate as possibly the Worst Song Ever.

what even worse then Machine Head's Message in a Bottle cover?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

my sis is a fan of these guys and i like 5 or 6 songs of theirs.
    alone i break is quite good imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Ph3n0m wrote:
    what even worse then Machine Head's Message in a Bottle cover?
    i vote that supercharger and the burning red be stricken from history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Got into Korn in 96 but stopped listening to them after the Follow the Leader album. They probably kick started the Nu Metal scene along with Sepultura, Fear Factory & Machine Head but were definately influenced by FNM. Got the greatest hits there on saturday. Not bad, love that bagpipe at the start of Shoots and Ladders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

not a bad band at all, but certainly not a favourite of mine. they've got a few quality chunes though

bombidol wrote:
    If anyones to blame for spawning Nu Metal ( unintentionally ) its Faith no More. I love FNM myself as would most i assume. Korn were alright, not **** but not amazing either if you ask me.

It's amazing that such a great band kickstarted something so ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I don't see how FNM spawned numetal. I don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

love korn always have.. even before i liked metal.. their new stuff is pretty **** but their old stuff is jst... something.. i dunno how to describe it... good anyway...

Doctor J wrote:
    I don't see how FNM spawned numetal. I don't get it.

I think it's the fact that a lot of Nu-Metal bands cited FNM as an influence.

I think it's the fact that a lot of Nu-Metal bands cited FNM as an influence.

well how dare they sully the good name of one of the greatest bands...ever (imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Im very anxious to hear the new album,with Head gone maybe it will change their sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

They're a kwerky ickle band, some of the songs are just so guttural sounding it's beautiful! The bassist is the star attraction, some of the stuff he does is why they have such a unique sound...well that a jonathan makin lotsa funky azz noises...can see how he influenced Dave from Disturbed (which are a mighty tasty band also I must say!)
    Yes they spawned untold amounts of filth (ESPECIALLY limp bizkit...ewww) but they inspire a decent couple, and they themselves are quite original n not too bad at all at all.

I completely agree with you. korn is an amazing album,im really pissed that i have lost i!!!!!!!!I especially like blind and daddy.the xmas song is also really good as is alone i brake.Alot of people say that they dont play very techniclly difficult songs,but i say why do songs have to be difficult to be any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I'm rather fond of some of their songs. I managed to end up with Take a look in the mirror and Untouchables on my computer, Untouchables is ok.

Alone I break, Freak on a Leash, ADIDAS, Shoots and Ladders, they're the songs that come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mist

I used to hate KoRn but now i quite like them. They did produce some pretty good tunes.

Why did Faith No More spawn Nu-Metal?

Epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

they were also one of my first bands, I still have a place in my heart, and on my shelf, for their debut album, and IMO their best. but I don't listen to them much anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Here to Stay and Freak on a Leash and Alive r cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Mist wrote:
    Why did Faith No More spawn Nu-Metal?

To cross the road.

I liked Korn back in the day and I still think the first album is good but the last time I listened to them was whenever they played the RDS. I only went to it for old time's sake and I was kind of sorry that I did.

Advertisement