Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standup tanning...

• 19-09-2005 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

What is the recommended amount of time for a beginner or whatever??? I just want to do it out of curiosity to see what it is like...i mean i am curious by nature and there is one in my gym so why not!?

I was thinking maybe 6 minutes or something. Oh yeah and how long does the tan last for!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I heard that the recommended time was three minutes to begin with, I may be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

The tan lasts for as long as your skin does,approx 2months,maybe more or less,it fades wen ur skin starts to natually shed.i havent used 1 before so i dont know how long youa re supposed to use them...it would depend on what equivilant sun temperature the sunbeds give off and also factors such as your skin colour,if you already have a slight tan,your hair colour,etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

totally depends on your skin tone. if you tan easily, you could probably do 4 minutes. if you still have a tan from the summer, or are naturally dark, 6 minutes. if you're really fair with freckles, 3-4 minutes. if you don't take the sun at all, avoid at all costs. you'll go pink. never a good look. it will take a few (3-4) sessions to see any real tanning effect.

be careful, it can get a bit addictive!!!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hello Sailor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

yeah dis is where we are all meant to warn you bout the dangers of cancer etc but if your sensible you should be ok. I use em once a week or so but im v sallow so can do 8 mins. lie down beds are way better than stand up - you get a better tan. also dont forget the moisturiser cos you dont wanna get a dry skin. if you are freckly, ginger or v fair then dont do it at all- its not safe and your skin will not tan properly you would be better with a good fake tan in this case (spray tans turn out fab if done properly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

And please, please bear in mind that it does cause cancer, which most would consider a minor disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Try using a tan accellorator - it is a lotion which deepens the tan. They tend to be on the pricey side, so just get the small sample size to get yourself started. At this time of year you wouldn't need too much of a tan (what with covering up a lot now that the weather is so freaking cold!) so I reckon you'd be OK with 2 4-minute sessions (if you use the accellorator). Not that I'm an expert, mind - but that would be more than enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

2 - 4 min sessions a month or a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

well the safe recommendation is 50 hours per year MAX (this includes sunbathing on your hols). but also your skin. I have sallow skin it will go brown after 3 sessions but my sis is pure white i would kill her if she went near a bed cos her skin is just too fair.
    I asked a few beauticians i know about tanning and the dangers. They advised me that unless your v fair or ginger or have moles a few mins a week is ok but they said they see some crazy people who go in and do 10 mins a day. They have even had problem customers who try to do more than the max time and who refuse to wear eye protection! when you hear bout people like that its no wonder they end up with skin cancer.
    My mate worked with a girl who became so addicted to sunbeds- she hired one for home use because the salon would not let her do any more sessions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

I used to do the stand up tanning - i usually just do it during the summer months and use fake tan during the winter. The reason i started really was because i have ezcema on my back and the sun beds left my back soft and smooth.
    I started on 4 mins (im fair-skinned) and gradually worked up to 8 mins twice a week.

I wouldnt do them all year round though, i even felt my face getting so dry....i can understand how sunbed addicts age so quickly!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irene2011

I've being using Sun Angel sunbed at Tanningsalon.ie 8 mins twice a week and I keep a beautiful tan the whole year. I'm very happy with this salon, they are very professional, they will determine your skin type and based on that they will recommend you the amount of time your skin needs to be healthy tanned. I usually go to the one in Clondalkin, but they have tanning salons in Tallaght, swords and Santry. I give you the web site and you can have a look wink.gif

www.tanningsalon.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread from 2005, therefore closed.

@irene2011 - please look at the dates on threads before replying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement