Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Limits

• 19-09-2005 2:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently on NTLs first 3 month free package with 3 meg.
    I'm trying to make the most of it as I plan to downgrade to their 1 meg package (which I don't think I'll be able to do!).

Anyway I was wondering what kind of policy do NTL have with regards exceeding the download limit.
    I believe when on the 1 or 2 meg package they will upgrade your service without consulting you if you exceed but what if you are on the 3 meg pack,
    what action would they take then.

Also they have a download limit of 40 gig on the the 3 meg deal but is there a Upload limit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

JPA wrote:
    I am currently on NTLs first 3 month free package with 3 meg.
    I'm trying to make the most of it as I plan to downgrade to their 1 meg package (which I don't think I'll be able to do!).

Anyway I was wondering what kind of policy do NTL have with regards exceeding the download limit.
    I believe when on the 1 or 2 meg package they will upgrade your service without consulting you if you exceed but what if you are on the 3 meg pack,
    what action would they take then.

Also they have a download limit of 40 gig on the the 3 meg deal but is there a Upload limit?

In simple terms if you take the piss they will charge, a few on Boards have storeys about this, keep close to it you'll be fine !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There is a 40GB limit on NTL's 3mb product.

However they are pretty flexible about it. They don't charge if you go over the cap or make you upgrade. They usually just send you a letter and a phone call and ask you to reduce your usage for the benefit of all users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Drapper wrote:
    In simple terms if you take the piss they will charge, a few on Boards have storeys about this, keep close to it you'll be fine !

Exactly, its called a fair-usage policy; designed to make sure that piss-takers dont affect the bandwidth with P2P file-sharing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I'd not downgrade to 1meg though ! it not a big price difference ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Drapper wrote:
    In simple terms if you take the piss they will charge

:rolleyes:

They do not charge for exceeding the cap. In future they may throttle your connection speed if you go over your cap or they may charge but they haven't decided yet what they'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Is there no method of checking your monthly usage with NTL?
    I think Eircom have a website which tells you what percentage of your monthly usage you have used up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

garlad wrote:
    Is there no method of checking your monthly usage with NTL?
    I think Eircom have a website which tells you what percentage of your monthly usage you have used up.

No there isn't, but since NTL don't do anything heavy handed, they simply contact you and ask you to take it easy, then it isn't really needed.

BTW they don't contact you if you go just a little over the cap, they seem to only contact people when you are consistently going way over the cap and are effecting other users on the same node.

So I really wouldn't worry about it.

BTW UberNewb, they can't just start charging for going over the cap, it isn't part of the contract, they would need to change the contract, inform you of the change and allow you to end your contract without penalty before they could introduce charging IANAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Drapper wrote:
    I'd not downgrade to 1meg though ! it not a big price difference ?

Well it's €20 difference a month and I am only a student. I might settle half way and go for the 2 meg.

bk wrote:
    BTW UberNewb, they can't just start charging for going over the cap, it isn't part of the contract, they would need to change the contract, inform you of the change and allow you to end your contract without penalty before they could introduce charging IANAL.

I said they don't charge you but in future they MAY charge you.

UberNewb wrote:
    I said they don't charge you but in future they MAY charge you.

And I replied that they can't charge you without first changing the contract and telling you about the change. They have never said that they would ever charge someone and I don't think they would ever make souch a big change as it is a major selling point of their service, so why mention it, you are only creating fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) where non should exist.

• Advertisement

The reason why I mentioned it is because they have mentioned it to me.

I was contacted for going over the limit. So I ask them how can I check and was told that they would be building a website so that you can check your monthly usage. He also said that they were looking into throttling your connection or charging you for going over your limit and that this may be a choice that you can make.

Now this was going back a few months ago. I'm sure 'IF' they do make this change they will inform any NTL bb customers.

Next time someone is contacted by NTL for going over there usage, ask them what they intend on doing in the future and see what they say. I'm supprised that no one has ask!

Now bk, have you been with NTL for long???? because when I signed up there was no download limits that should give you a clue about how they will inform there customers.

As I have already said they don't charge you but in future they MAY charge you.

Advertisement