Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can hear conversations perfectly, but not vice versa

• 19-09-2005 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a 1Mb/128 Kbs Clicksilver account. I have used Skype, but was forced to stop by peer pressure. Basically - all of my friends would complain that they were getting vast tracts of silence.

However, hearing them was never a problem. So to discount Skype, I got a Blueface softphone. Same deal.

I assume that this is definitely a poor quality phone line?

My plan is to wait until either NTL or Smart come along. I have heard good results about both re: the consistency of the upload rates. I don't want an IBB mast or the associated headache (plus when I asked them what their product was like for VOIP they said they wouldn't recommend it!!), and Digiweb Metro is an untried commodity.

I have used the Irish ISP test, with results indicating 85Kb/s upload. However, roundtrip pings to boards takes > 100ms.

Anyone have any similar experience with ADSL?

(P.S. I did *try* to contact UTV for some technical support, but you might as well be buying euro million tickets).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

your upload would definitely have restricted your ability to talk on VoIP, and the ping certainly didnt help matters. both the NTL 200 & 300, and Smart ( either 128 or 256 ) should be ok for you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you sure this is not an issue in the 'sound departement' of your pc? Is the mic working - plugged into the correct socket etc etc?

Advertisement