Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about UTV billing

• 19-09-2005 8:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. We switched to paying line rental to utv back in May or whatever and the line rental went from €40 for 2 months with Eircom to €25 for 1 month with utv. Now I thought the price was supposed to stay the same (I don't know if Eircom have raised their prices too).

The other thing is we were renting an Eircom phone that was around €5 every 2 months. Now utv are charging €5 every month for the phone! After contacting utv they asked for an old eircom bill as proof that it used to be €5 for 2 months... Surely they should know this.. I mean they must have a lot of customers changing over from eircom :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

have a better one for ya, changed to UTV for broadband and phone calls last november, they have never got around to charge me a cent for the phonecalls in all this time, been paying the 29.99 a month for the BB alright...

Now I'm not against paying them for the service they provide, but am moving at the end of the month... do you reckon I should ask them about this or just feck off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

@NotMe.
    Eircom line rental is €24.18 per month, UTV should be charging you the same. Why are you renting a phone? It's a waste of money even at €2.50 p/m. Buy one yourself, they're cheap.
    @hefty_langer
    Maybe your calls are free as part of the UTV Talk package (Free local, national & UK offpeak)? Although it's unusual that ALL your calls would fall into this catagory. If theirs one thing UTV are good at it's getting their money so telling them to "feck off" if they do decide to bill you probably won't get you far.
    BTW. If your moving at the end of the month and you signed up last November, you'll be breaking your 12 month contract. They'll squeeze a few Euro out of you for that. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

UTV's billing department are showing small signs of heading in the direction of the BT model :rolleyes:

Certainly from recent experience I can assure people that they have no regard for the 'sanctity' of people's accounts and I had to go to all sorts of trouble to get my money back off them.

As the poster said they are like the Mounties they always get their money even months afterwards - Get on to them and point out any problems that you have its always the best way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

have a better one for ya, changed to UTV for broadband and phone calls last november, they have never got around to charge me a cent for the phonecalls in all this time, been paying the 29.99 a month for the BB alright...

Now I'm not against paying them for the service they provide, but am moving at the end of the month... do you reckon I should ask them about this or just feck off?
    If it's anything like happened to me last year, they'll discover their mistake and bill you for ALL those calls in one go (without telling you in advance I might add!), then blame it on their "provider" (BT/eircom) having lost these previously. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

kaizersoze wrote:
    @hefty_langer
    Maybe your calls are free as part of the UTV Talk package (Free local, national & UK offpeak)? Although it's unusual that ALL your calls would fall into this catagory. If theirs one thing UTV are good at it's getting their money so telling them to "feck off" if they do decide to bill you probably won't get you far.
    BTW. If your moving at the end of the month and you signed up last November, you'll be breaking your 12 month contract. They'll squeeze a few Euro out of you for that. :)
    In fairness I know that I'll end up paying for the calls, what a pain in the hole though to get one big bill for 10months of calls though!!
    I know I'll be breakin the contract but it may be cheaper to just keepo paying the 2months @ €29.99 rather than their poxy early cancellation fee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

thats happened to me a few times..

Havent got a bill for calls in a few months then they hit you with a bill for all the previous months out of the blue; despite having rang them and informed them...

The other ol' chestnut is that they kept sending direct debit forms telling me my bank account had been closed and they were unable to get money. Account closed eh? not according to the bank it hasnt. Thats what you get when you deal with incompetants I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Had kind of the same problem. They charged me line & phone rental when that part of billing was transferred to them (aged parent gets it free: :) ). E-mailed them a scan of last eircom bill. They got back to me within a few days and told me they'd credit my account, which they did. I was happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Hmm well sent UTV the last Eircom bill and they replied saying that their price for the phone rental includes VAT but Eircoms does not. But that still doesn't explain why they are charging every month when Eircom only charged every two.
    Anyway my mam rang UTV to cancel the rented phone and they said to ring Eircom who said to ring UTV... :rolleyes: Eventually Eircom cancelled it and said to send the phone back but I just hope they tell UTV to stop billing us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im utv but somehow we got a bill bt for phonecalls we made over the second half of the mont. Bt sent a solicters letter and everything looking to be paid. Something seriously dodgy with their billing.

bush wrote:
    Im utv but somehow we got a bill bt for phonecalls we made over the second half of the mont. Bt sent a solicters letter and everything looking to be paid. Something seriously dodgy with their billing.[/QUOTE]

One of the great understatements of all time.

Could you give us more details of what exactly happened that lead to them sending you a solicitor's letter?

• Advertisement

NotMe wrote:
    Hmm well sent UTV the last Eircom bill and they replied saying that their price for the phone rental includes VAT but Eircoms does not. But that still doesn't explain why they are charging every month when Eircom only charged every two.
    Anyway my mam rang UTV to cancel the rented phone and they said to ring Eircom who said to ring UTV... :rolleyes: Eventually Eircom cancelled it and said to send the phone back but I just hope they tell UTV to stop billing us...

Its very simple - UTV bill monthly thats the way they operate as a company.

I would advise you to drop back the telephone they are entitled to charge you rental as long as you have it in your possession. I am sure if you ring their very helpful and prompt :rolleyes: customer line someone there will tell you which of their offices in Dublin take the phones back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

dub45 wrote:
    bush wrote:
    Im utv but somehow we got a bill bt for phonecalls we made over the second half of the mont. Bt sent a solicters letter and everything looking to be paid. Something seriously dodgy with their billing.[/QUOTE]

One of the great understatements of all time.

Could you give us more details of what exactly happened that lead to them sending you a solicitor's letter?

Basically they sent us the bill for 35 euro and we didnt pay it and the they sent out a solicter's letter saying to pay up. We rang both utv and bt and they couldnt explain it.

bush wrote:
    dub45 wrote:

Basically they sent us the bill for 35 euro and we didnt pay it and the they sent out a solicter's letter saying to pay up. We rang both utv and bt and they couldnt explain it.

So you are with UTV for your phone calls and Esat contrived to bill you?

Have you ever been with Esat? Did they offer you an apology for the Solicitor's letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Just moved my calls and line rental back to Eircon in preperation for porting my number to blueface.
    Have been with UTV for 11 months on utv talk and line rental.
    They never ever charged me line rental even though they were supposed to take it over, this line rental always came from Eircon, so no contract to break there.
    UTV talk is a great service, but not as cheap as voip, so its off to blueface i go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

dub45 wrote:
    Its very simple - UTV bill monthly thats the way they operate as a company.
    I know that, the problem is that they're charging double the price by charging every month.
    I would advise you to drop back the telephone they are entitled to charge you rental as long as you have it in your possession. I am sure if you ring their very helpful and prompt :rolleyes: customer line someone there will tell you which of their offices in Dublin take the phones back.
    The phones been sent back to Eircom.

Advertisement