Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe place to take the kids camping / walking - coutnty dublin - and surrounding

Options
  • 19-09-2005 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

HI,

Looking for safe areas to take the kids camping / walking weekend not restricting them to the scout campsites though, some decent woodland areas with local authority camping/fire permissions.

(by safe - i mean a lack of knackers with beercans etc....., and not hunting areas either)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

No-one knows safe areas to take the kids camping / walking weekend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

You could try Lough Dan down in Wicklow. It's owned by Scouting Ireland but I'm pretty sure they'll accomodate a family at the moment as it should be fairly quiet - I think Larch Hill is reserved for scouting groups only. You should be able to rustle up contact details here:

http://www.scouts.ie

The other place to look into would be Knockree youth hostel or one of the other IYHA locations. A lot have family rooms available which are secure and generally in quite safe locations. Camping will definately be trying over the coming months as it's getting quite cold at the moment. The An Óige site is here:

http://www.irelandyha.org/

Hope this helps....

Gil

Thats great Gil,

Very much appreciated. I know the weather isnt great -I think we will hostel our first outings, and wait till after spring for the camping.

As far as camping goes - are we restricted to offical sites in Dublin/Wicklow - or are there areas in the countryside where camping is allowed outside of sites ?

Only as as i used to just trot off to the lakes in UK a few years ago - and basically pitch where i wanted with very little problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hey Loz,

I'm puzzled as I can't find a single reference to camping in National Parks online.

I've sent the NWPS an email to find out what the official position is on this as there seems to be a real gap in the information they've made available to the public.

I'll let everyone know what they come back with!

Gil

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Hey Loz,

I'm puzzled as I can't find a single reference to camping in National Parks online.

I'll let everyone know what they come back with!

Gil

I had same problem - that why i posted here hope someone has the knowledge. I also wanted to know the position in regards to firelighting, and if axe's need to be registered with the park's wardens

• Advertisement
Advertisement