Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxis on opposite side of the road...

• 19-09-2005 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

whenever i hail a taxi that's on the other side of the road, i let em swing round, and then get in.

did this last night, then some punk, in his garden said, "you're supposed to cross the road"

i was half asleep, v heavy weekend, and a bit shocked by his insolence, so didn't say anything.

anayway, taxi driver didn't have a problem with this, this is always the way i've handled this situation, dont see the difference in running accross the road, when the cars just gonna swing round anyway.

i've always considered this normal taxi etiquete.

so guess i'm just wondering what's more common.

are you a wait for the taxi to line it's self up, or are you a road crosser.

just to mention, taxi driver knew what way i was headed, combination of head noding, and comon sence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Is suppose if it's late and the roads aren't busy ten why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

well when u get in the taxi ur paying for him to swing around :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

paperclip wrote:
    are you a wait for the taxi to line it's self up, or are you a road crosser.
    depends if I'm going in the direction of the taxi (where'd I'd hail from that side or get it too swing round) and the traffic on the road (not going to cross if busy).
    Simple as that really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

true, was around 10.45, so was ok. you'd be waiting a while with heavy trafic, so would prob just wait for one on right side of the road.
    Is suppose if it's late and the roads aren't busy ten why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah your the one payin them i guess it's like callin them to your house you don't wlk to the taxi rank then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

paperclip wrote:

did this last night, then some punk, in his garden said, "you're supposed to cross the road"

See that's the point where you say "...... and you're supposed to mind your own fvcking business!".

(You can use that one if you like , I nicked it off Dorothy Parker anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

isn't it more to hail a taxi than queue in a rank, maybe thats why they don't mind swinging around

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I've never heard of any rule, but you're paying so let them come to you, unless it's too hard for them to do a U-turn or something, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

What was the guy doing in his garden @ 10:45pm?

...after taxi had swung round, perfect oppertunity to shout at him;
    "Sorry m8, sh1thead advice is no use to me, save it for your relatives/close friends!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i know, i think there was another dude with him.

maybe he stands there and passes judgement on people who are on his patch.

that, or he was getting head from his buddy.
    Ruffty^ wrote:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd say that you should always be stood on the side of the road for the direction that you want to go in. You then stick out your hand, and if a taxi going the other way spots you and can make the turn then he gets your fare, otherwise you just have to wait for the next guy going in your direction.

I'd expect the taxi driver to be a bit p*ssed with you though if he mad the turn to pick you pu and then you said that you wanted to go in the direction that he was heading before though, even if you are paying for his time by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

robinph wrote:
    I'd expect the taxi driver to be a bit p*ssed with you though if he mad the turn to pick you pu and then you said that you wanted to go in the direction that he was heading before though, even if you are paying for his time by then.

Yea, that would b a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

being insolent apparently :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SeanPuddin wrote:
    isn't it more to hail a taxi than queue in a rank
    Not usually. It is more expensive for a call out, or to get one from the airport rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

SeanPuddin wrote:
    isn't it more to hail a taxi than queue in a rank, maybe thats why they don't mind swinging around

It costs nothing to hail a taxi OR get it from a rank, an extra €1.50 is added however, if you telephone for one to come and pick you up.
    This is to cover their time finding the address etc.

Advertisement