Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Home Network Problems

Options
  • 19-09-2005 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭

This is probably very simple, but its driving me crazy, so any help gratefully received....

I have three PC's & one laptop in the house, all using a Wireless connection via a Netopia Router. All connect to the router with no problems.

To set up the network, I used the Small Home Network setup option from networking - nothing strange with any of the setups, file & print sharing enabled etc. Three of the machines can see each other fine, but the fourth machine sees the other three, but doesn't let anyoen connect to it ?.

I've disabled WEP & firewall etc, but still no joy.

Only difference with the problem machine is that wireless connection is via a USB key & its running the original version of XP dating back to 2002. It's updated via MS update.

Any ideas ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just an update on this....I can connect via XP Remote connection without any problems.....throw any light on it ?

Anyone ???

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

When you say that the other PCs won't connect to it, What exactly do you mean.

Can they Ping it ?

Thanks for the reply

They can all ping it, all see it under Network Places in explorer, but when you try clicking on it, you get a message saying :

"\\Perseus is not available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to see if you have access permissions. Access is Denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Andip wrote:
    Thanks for the reply

They can all ping it, all see it under Network Places in explorer, but when you try clicking on it, you get a message saying :

"\\Perseus is not available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to see if you have access permissions. Access is Denied.

is 'Perseus' your computer name.

On the offending PC. Try putting it into a different Workgroup. reboot and then put it back into the original workgroup.

Thanks - yep Perseus is the computer name.

I've tried as suggested, but still getting the same message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Make sure you're actually *sharing a folder*. I.e. on the offending computer, right-click a folder, click Sharing, and enable it. Simply having file sharing set up through network connections may not be enough. XP is moody like that.. sometimes you need to do it, sometimes you don't....

Thanks - that's done - in fact I shared the 'C' drive & its showing the hand symbol, just wont connect - it must be a permissions problem, but as both systems are running XP Pro, I cant see how

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Andip wrote:
    I shared the 'C' drive

Don't do this, make a dedicated share dir (like 'network temp' or whatever) and share that. Make sure it's shared to an account that has permission to access the machine from the network (Guest account is denied access by network by default IIRC).

Thanks - I only shared the 'C' to prove a point to myself ! ;)

Managed to sort this last night - at long last !! - for some reason it didn't like the computer name ! - changed it to a different name & it worked fine, changed it back to Perseus & no connection (checked spelling on all machines).

Anyhow, thanks to all who helped on this one

Andi

Advertisement