Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Concrete

• 19-09-2005 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

I have a patio floor area outside my back door which is made of concrete. I recently spray cleaned it and I would like to paint it. It is partially exposed to rain etc. and would have medium traffic. Is there any paint product made specifically for this job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Ruberoid (AKA Irish Roofing Felts) have a product for driveways that dries fairly fast, however concrete not being waterproof does lift the coating so you can expect to re-coat it every year or two depending on the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

If you go to Woodies DIY or B&Q, you can get Driveway sealers. It's a liquid you paint onto the driveway. Once it's dry it's clear, but gives it a water proof seal. Hydroloc is one. Not sure if they stock it, but it should be around where you get the patio cleaners etc.

Cheers
    Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There are 2-pack epoxy resin "paints" that are made for coating smooth concrete floors such as car parks, showroom floors, that type of thing. Expensive and requires ideal conditions for application, but highly impervious to water and wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Thanks for the above replies. Ruberoid say they don't do it. Checked B&Q and they have sealers alright but it is not exactly what I had in mind. I would like to be able to apply a colour, say green, to the concrete to take the dull grey look off of it. Must search for the epoxy resin type stuff. Any idea what its called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Brave while since I used it....it's an industrial coating and AFAIR it was bought in a place called MRCB in Christchurch in Dublin.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/t/TOREPXFP/

^ Could well be it...and if not it's as close as makes no difference. However the company we used had more colour options than just red/grey...I'm sure some shade of green wouldn't be too hard to come by...also I doubt you'd need as much as 5 litres (need to know your area size) but I can't say if it comes in any smaller packs.

You can get oil-based concrete/floor paint but it's not gonna last as long in an area subject to rain, frost and sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi denismac,

Tell them it's on the top rack at the back of the stores ;)

Advertisement