Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how much mileage is too much?

Options
  • 19-09-2005 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

hi im looking for a car for my brother, second hand for in and around 5 grand, i came accross this on carzone.ie used merc

i think it looks good but its clocked up 180,000 miles, is that too much? how much would a car like that do in its lifetime? 300?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

'bit too much of a car for a 1,8L petrol engine to move it over that kind of mileage

(not saying it's not done 180k, just saying the engine's a bit small for the size of car, and big car + small engine + high miles = asking for trouble, IMO).

Would have re-considered if it was anything above 2,2/2,5L or a diesel.

My €0.02 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I personnally wouldnt buy a petrol with over 100K on the clock.....after 100K you start having problem with petrol engines!! Diesel seems to be able to handle larger amount of milage than petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Big Nelly wrote:
    I personnally wouldnt buy a petrol with over 100K on the clock.....after 100K you start having problem with petrol engines!! Diesel seems to be able to handle larger amount of milage than petrol
    Pffft!
    You've never had a Toyota.

Traded in my last Corolla with 180k on the clock, still running perfectly.
    My current car is a Carina E, with 147k & still going strong.

My mate eventually decomissioned his Carina 2 with 280k on it, and even then only because his 5th child was born & they just couldn't squeeze in any more.

- Oh yeah, OP: Mercs - You see ones knocking around the backroads that are decades old. They don't wear out. Get someone to check it over & if its OK its OK. Mileage doesn't mean what it used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Looking at prices in the UK, you could get one from a trader with 60k fewer miles for about that price. I'm not suggesting you do that - rather just giving you a feel for what that might be worth.

I can't think of any enormously compelling reason to go for that car over say a 96-98ish Golf with half the miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

My dads audi 80 has 250,000 miles on it and it still hasnt given a bit of trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

ssh wrote:
    Looking at prices in the UK, you could get one from a trader with 60k fewer miles for about that price. I'm not suggesting you do that - rather just giving you a feel for what that might be worth.

I can't think of any enormously compelling reason to go for that car over say a 96-98ish Golf with half the miles.

the UK car would be cheaper regardless,

96 golf - c-class merc ... huge difference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My old man's Carina has about 180k on the clock now, still going strong. Just drove from Sweden in it in fact, no problems on the way.

Mercs are traditionally very strong in the mileage department, however 180k is quite a lot on a 1.8 imho, and the C180 is a compromise (cheapy) Merc anyway imho. This is one case where I think you're better off leaving the badge envy at home and buying a proven high miler or something smaller with lower mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

my GF has about 150k on her opel astra.. no probs so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its not a problem if the car is looked after - I'm currently driving an Alfa 155 with 253k mls on it with no problems. If the car was well serviced and hasn't been crashed then it should handle the mileage very well. Big mileage Mercs are very barge-like and are a matter of taste, they get very 'wallowy' as they age but should last to 300k if maintained. Being rear wheel drive helps reduce wear and tear on steering/drives/bushings. Personally I think they drive like they are made of wood but thats just me. I had an '86 190E earlier this year with 160k on it and I couldn't kill it - sold it to a farmer for €200 and I'd say it will outlast him.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Most drivers rack up about 10,000 Miles (whatever the km equiv is) per year on average..

This should give you an idea. Basically it looks like you will be buying a car with an engine that has 18 years worth of wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

My current October 2002 Toyota 1.4 VVTi has hit 75,000 miles. Running like a dream, def not 7.5 years of wear on the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Neighbours 96 Ford Mondeo 1.6 has almost 300,000 miles done.Drives it to work every day has never let him down.180,000 miles is no big deal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Big Nelly wrote:
    My E30 320i had its engine dynoed when the car was exactly 15 years old and had over 160k miles on the clock. As standard they had 129bhp. Mine, which needed a service, had 128bhp.
    The age or mileage shouldn't matter to an engine as long as it has been looked after properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'd be more worried by the tow-bar, what has it been towing all it's life?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be more concerned about the other parts in the car besides the engine at 180k. Things like the clutch, suspension, gearbox, etc which can be generally more expensive to replace on a Merc. These parts wear alot faster than the engine so you could be looking at a potential money pit here.

Also I think €5k is a bit optimistic for that car. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

damo wrote:
    hi im looking for a car for my brother, second hand for in and around 5 grand, i came accross this on carzone.ie used merc

i think it looks good but its clocked up 180,000 miles, is that too much? how much would a car like that do in its lifetime? 300?

Stay clear! A car with that mileage is gonna be nothing but trouble I can guarantee you! 168k is heading for breakdown! The price seems good but believe me you wont get 5k worth out of that car for too long with all the money you will put out on repairs, etc.

Look around and dont go for first car you see, mileage is important when buying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For a start I'm glad I am not a Dublin taxi driver having to be joint to the hip with a Toyota for hundreds of thousands of miles :)
    Its not a problem if the car is looked after - I'm currently driving an Alfa 155 with 253k mls on it with no problems

That equates going around the world 10 times. Indeed looking after obviously is the key. Good you're posting that kinda mileage for an Alfa. I would guess 99% of Toyotas would be dead and buried well before that
    bazz26 wrote:
    Also I think €5k is a bit optimistic for that car. Just my opinion.

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Whats the story with its drivers seat?
    i would stear WAY clear, the climate control system will in itself probably need a new evaporator, compressor and a regas thats 2500 right there for u because the dash needs to come off to get to the evap.
    then theres the suspension, will need every bushing replaced in it, thats 1500 euro, then theres the shocks..., the seat..., the gearbox... and this assumes the engine is ok which can be checked. remember it will also need a new timing chain, and that is ££££££.
    forget it, its beyond economical repair in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

layke wrote:
    Most drivers rack up about 10,000 Miles (whatever the km equiv is) per year on average...

That's a UK average figure. We drive far many more miles (or kms) than they do. Infact we drive one of the highest average number of kilometres a year, somewhere in the region of 20-23,000.

jm2k wrote:
    That's a UK average figure. We drive far many more miles (or kms) than they do. Infact we drive one of the highest average number of kilometres a year, somewhere in the region of 20-23,000.
    Source?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

May I suggest the OP actualy goes for look-see and a drive with a decent independent Mechanic.

The only thing that would concern me is the air-con, as stated if it needs a complete refub thats big money, still if its tired/dead then you'll have something to bargin with.

The cost of Merc bits are no more than anything that size.

Just check out German Swedish and French who have a Dublin depot. German Auto Parts in Bray are a good source ditto Otto Car Parts.

To get a price comparison with UK look here its got no air-con.
    I had an '86 190E earlier this year with 160k on it and I couldn't kill it - sold it to a farmer for €200 and I'd say it will outlast him.

Glad to see you found willing buyer! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

moral of the story is if it was cared for it could have many years left in it, if it wasnt its virtually scrap. going on the law of averages in ireland on used cars, its probably scrap , but u never know, it may have been owned by a rich money no object kind of a person. having said all that the drivers seat colour doesnt look like a rich money no object kind of guy thing to do lol.
    id want to see a encyclopedia full of receipts if i were to buy that, everything from a 2+ thousand euro invoice for climate control repairs in the last 5 years (which it def would have needed), to suspension repairs, to exaust/catalyst replacement, to proof of regular gearbox oil replacement or full overhaul,clutch replacement to a timing chain replacement.
    somehow i doubt that car will have any of the above ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

The important thing to look for is the service record, an engine that is looked after (serviced in line with the maufacturers recommendations) will last a very long time, for a car that is well maintained even 100,000 miles on the clock is nothing for a petrol engine

jm2k wrote:
    Infact we drive one of the highest average number of kilometres a year, somewhere in the region of 20-23,000.

No, the average annual mileage of a private car in Ireland is 10000 (16000 kilometers). This includes diesel cars so the average for petrol cars is lower

unkel wrote:
    No, the average annual mileage of a private car in Ireland is 10000 (16000 kilometers). This includes diesel cars so the average for petrol cars is lower
    Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

jm2k wrote:

That adds up and makes sense with all the commuting these days, do you have a source for your data, as i'd like to see it.

Gurgle wrote:
    Source?

*sighs at boards.ie disabling search*

I have seen many many references to it over the last few years. Only last week or so I quoted a link to a very recent article from the Irish Times right here on this forum stating the average annual mileage is 10000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'm currently driving an Alfa 155 with 253k mls on it with no problems. 'c

This has got to be something of a record for an Alfa ??!! :eek:

Can you tell us more ?

E.g.....
    - How long have you owned the car?
    - Full service history?
    - Type of oil used/DIY serviced or Main dealer?
    etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd say Alfa wouldn't believe that themselves!!!! :D

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote:
    This has got to be something of a record for an Alfa ??!! :eek:

A lot of people would probably think so, but for some cars proper maintenance is way more important than for others. Sure buy a brand new Punto and never service it. After 4 years and 50000 kms it will probably die. Do the same to a Toyota and chances are it is still going

Anyone ever go to Italy? No matter where you go, it is full of ancient FIATs with huge mileages :)

Advertisement