Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick advice needed

Options
  • 19-09-2005 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I'm buying s car this week.

I've been offered a r Gold/brown 1991 Opel Kadett. 80k Miles.

New tires, NCT'd until August next year, Tax'd until October this year.

Blaupunkt Face off tape deck (will replace with CD player) Good condition inside and out. The guy will drop t to my house.

400 Euro.

Is it worth it?

It's my learner car...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Sounds OK. I assume you've checked how much it's going to cost to insure?

Get someone with a bit of mechancial knowledge to check the car out and get them to check for both mechanical and rust issues. A 91 car is getting on a bit and IIRC the Kadett is prone to a bit of rust eg in the rear arches.

Also, check out www.honestjohn.co.uk for comments on the Vauxhall Astra 1984-1991 which is the version of your car that was sold in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

For a €400 car there are a couple of things to check:

Make sure the car obviously starts ok. Leave it run for a few minutes. Check the exhaust for any signs of thick blue smoke (this could indicate it is burning oil which means the pistons maybe be on the way out). Then take it for a drive, using the gears up and down frequently to make sure it goes into gear no problem and the clutch is ok. Make sure the steering is sound and also obviously check that the brakes work aswell.

The old Kadette was know for blowing head gaskettes so check the inside of the oil filler cap for a light coloured type crusty fluid. This could be a sign of a head gaskette on the way out.

Happy motoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I had a quick drive of one of these around that age recently and I found the steering very heavy with no power steering.

Have you test driven the car already? If you allow someone to deliver the car to you, the engine would be warm by the time it gets to you and this could help the seller mask any cold start problems. I'm not saying that the seller is doing that, just that it's possible. I'd want to go see the car first in its own "habitat" as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Be careful, if he drops it to your house and you only have a mobile number for him, be sure to get a good long look at the registration book, and fill in an RF2 form.

Advertisement