Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carsley to end self imposed international exile

• 19-09-2005 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

I for one would welcome him back with open arms given our current situation.

He had a great season for Everton last year. (the sooner the better he is back fit for Everton too)

CARSLEY EYES IRISH RETURN
    By: Scott McLeod

Everton midfielder Lee Carsley is ready to end his self-imposed international exile.

The 31-year-old Irishman announced his decision to take time-out from the international game last season to focus his attentions on playing for Everton.

But a year on and Carsley, who is still recovering from a knee ligament injury, admits he is now ready to make himself available to Ireland coach Brian Kerr once again.

He said: “It’s been something I have been thinking about for a while.

“There is no point in ringing Brian tomorrow because I’m not fit. But as soon as I am playing again, I will be straight on the phone saying I want to be considered for Ireland squads.

“Despite what people might think, there was no bitterness between Brian and myself when I left the set-up, he told me I had to do what I thought was best.

“If Brian feels I am playing well enough and can add something to the squad, I am sure I will be in.”

Carsley’s decision to come back will be a boost for Ireland ahead of next month's crucial World Cup qualifier against Cyprus.

Ireland will be without Roy Keane for the game after the Manchester United midfielder sustained a broken foot in Sunday's Premiership game at Anfield.

But Carsley insists the up-coming fixtures and the chance to qualify for next summer's World Cup have not led to his decision.

“I am in a totally different frame of mind to last year," he adds.

Brian Kerr training with Lee Carsley
    Lee Carlsey during an Irish training session with manager Brian Kerr before the player took time-out from international football.

"I’d been travelling with Ireland for seven years, often without playing. It was getting to the stage where it felt like a routine rather than a thrill.

“Every player should feel honoured and excited when they are picked for their country’s squad. I wasn’t feeling like that so it was more honest to take a break from.

“The enthusiasm to be part of it is there again now. I have missed it to be honest, missed the other lads, missed the atmosphere of the matches.

“I know it’s up to me to make the first move and ring Brian and tell him how I feel about it now.

“There won’t be any strings at all. I won’t assume he will pick me and if I’m asked to travel with the squad and end up not playing, there won’t be any grumbles from me.

“I know some people might see me as a glory-hunter because we are approaching the World Cup but it’s not like that. I can tell everyone now I want to play in the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign even if we don’t reach the World Cup.

“People thought I had retired from international football but I always saw it as a break. And it’s not a decision I took lightly because I knew it would be hard to break back in with the quality of the rest of the squad, particularly in midfield.

“But I’m still only 31 and that is too young to retire from playing for your country."

Click Here!

Carsley admits he has been influence by the success David Weir has enjoyed since ending his own international exile for Scotland.

He adds: “David Weir has just returned to the Scotland set-up after a year or more out of it and he has been telling me how great it feels.

“I was going through the motions really when I met up with the Ireland camp before but I have got my enthusiasm back.”

Carsley feels he will be going back to the international set-up as a better player if Brian Kerr chooses to recall him.

He adds: “I wanted to concentrate on what was happening at Everton at the time because we were tipped to go down last season. I knew we had our work cut out and wanted to rest between training and matches. At the same time, I knew if I went off with Ireland, “I might be left out in favour of someone who wasn’t a first-team regular and that was frustrating.

“Everything feels better now. I have flourished at Everton, things are going well and I want to be part of the Ireland squad in any capacity. If I am picked, that’s great but I know Brian has a lot of first-team players to select from and I understand that.

“There was no arguments with Brian when we last spoke, no bitterness between us. He said if I thought it was the right decision, I should do it. My situation has changed and I would think he will appreciate that.

“If we qualify for the World Cup, we want to take the best 23 players to Germany. But I want to make it clear that even if I wasn’t picked for the World Cup or we didn’t make it, I would want to play in our first game after that.”

Carsley has already earned 29 international caps and was part of the Irish squad that travelled to South Korea and Japan for the 2002 World Cup

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/index.php?page_id=7564

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

You have to just laugh at the absolute tosh and clichés these footballers speak to websites about don't you? :rolleyes:

It really is broken down to the lowest common denominator of intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Did anyone see Paul Hylands back-page piece in the Herald today? A mate showed it to me but only for the first line! It was so savagely brutal on Lee Carsley that I wouldn't be surprised if was to retire again if he saw it!

Went something like:

"If things have gotten so bad for Ireland that we need Lee Carsley to return, there is definitely something wrong."

I'm not a big Carsley fan myself but an attack like that on a player who almost always gives 100% for club and country, and helped his average side reach 4th place in the Premiership last year, seems a tad harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Did anyone see Paul Hylands back-page piece in the Herald today? A mate showed it to me but only for the first line! It was so savagely brutal on Lee Carsley that I wouldn't be surprised if was to retire again if he saw it!

Went something like:

"If things have gotten so bad for Ireland that we need Lee Carsley to return, there is definitely something wrong."

I'm not a big Carsley fan myself but an attack like that on a player who almost always gives 100% for club and country, and helped his average side reach 4th place in the Premiership last year, seems a tad harsh.
    Just typical.
    Thats the problem with the Irish squad... journalists and the fans rate them far higher than we actually are, and the over expectation is having the effect that we frown upon such players.
    We dont have 11 Duffs and Keanes to call up on.
    We have to remember that it's team and "average" players like Carsley who've helped this Irish squad over the past 15 years or so, and put probably more effort in than our big names without it being rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I won't even write what I think of the Herald here anyway. It prints nothing but absolute crap.

As for Carsley, I think Kavanagh or Holland could do a better job than him anyway. I'd imagine he'll have it tough to get a call up.

I still have nightmares about when Kerr decided to play him on the right side of midfield against Russia, when we needed to win. If that is how Kerr is going to use him, I'd rather he stayed away from the international setup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im not Carsleys biggest fan either but he is an honest hard working player who doesnt need to put down like that in our newspapers. if he was asked to come in and do a job for us in midfield I feel who would do it. he always gives 100% and he had a good season last season helping his team to the dizzy heights they will only be able to dream about this season.

I'm not so sure if Kerr will pick him again but its always nice to have options available, especially a player who plays regularily in the PL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

TwoShedsJackson is gonna play for Ireland again? Won't somebody think of the children .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I read that piece in the herald and it was disgusting, i think paul hyland has to resort to that crap just for people to read his rubbish analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

France bring Zizu and co out of retiment and we bring Carsley. The rest of the group must be quaking in their boots.

Still his presence will strengthen the squad a bit so that must be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Why would this news be met with anything other than a positive response? You don't have to be over the moon, and you may be indiferent, but he's a decent player, with bags of experience at top flight football and international.

All this changes is that we now have more options in midfield, and that is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He can take Keanes place for the Swiss match, can't replace him, but means we dont have to play Johnoo or someone up there out of position

• Advertisement

I'd prefer Kavanagh to play. He looked very good for Wigan at the weekend and hopefully he can keep it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lemlin wrote:
    I'd prefer Kavanagh to play. He looked very good for Wigan at the weekend and hopefully he can keep it up.

Yeah I agree with you Lemlin but its good to have another option in there instead of having to play players like JOS out of position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

DubGuy wrote:
    Why would this news be met with anything other than a positive response?

Because it reminds us that we are beggars rather than choosers.

Pigman II wrote:
    Because it reminds us that we are beggars rather than choosers.

How is this? Nobody asked him to come back and he hasnt been picked yet. Explain yourself

Kingp35 wrote:
    How is this? Nobody asked him to come back and he hasnt been picked yet. Explain yourself

It's not literally meant as we 'begged' him to come back. It means we have such a dearth of quality players that Carsley is probably going to get right back into the squad (and even play!) and it reminds us that if he can get back in then we can't be that great shakes atm. It's basically Gary Doherty only less extreme.

Look at it this way. If Carsley was French or Brazilian (or even Scottish! :) ) and announced his intentions to the manager he'd probaby go "eh thanks! we'll get back to you on that one".

Look at it this way. If Carsley was French or Brazilian (or even Scottish! ) and announced his intentions to the manager he'd probaby go "eh thanks! we'll get back to you on that one".

Don't get your point there because Kerr has actually reacted in that fashion. You don't seem him coming out saying "thank god! Lee Carsley is back for Ireland!!".

Pigman II wrote:
    If Carsley was French... the manager he'd probaby go "eh thanks! we'll get back to you on that one".

Didn't happen with Zidane, Thuram, Makalele; they all went straight back into the squad.

Not that I am comparing Lee Carsely to them in any way.

I guess we'll just have to wait til he announces the squad for the next two games and see whether he's in or not. My own personal feeling is that he will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Oh great.. Very good of him to announce his return with only 2 qualifying matches left to qualufy for the WC. Sure maybe we could give him some of the credit if we do qualify.. Wonder if it has anything to do with not wanting to do the hard bit and just wanting to play in a WC.

just wanting to play in a WC.

Well the chances of that are quite slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think Carsely would be a good addition back. The Ireland squad is a bunch of average players with one or two exceptions, Duff and Given and Keane(Roy). The rest is really jsut an average bunch of players who do or used to give it all for the shirt but recently I have to question the passion.

Carsely is a good midfielder who has alot to offer and after last years performance deserved a few phone calls to coax him back. Our midfield is absolutly flat and old in my opinion. A Roy Keane who is way passed it,using his name and reputation,and shouldnt even be in an ireland shirt after his antics but we wont get into that. Matt Holland who has enver impressed me but some people get woed easily because he scored some goals. Graham Kavanagh...enough said. At one stage we were trying Kevin Kilbane which just says it all.

The more I actually read this the more I just think at how bad the irish team actually is, on paper. Up front, 3-4 inept unforful not highly talented strikers. The whole country kisses the ground Robbie Keane walks on, but I just dont see him as a great irish player like everyone says. MB jsut from personal feelings, like seeing him out on the gargle the week in which he was playing France. The amount of easy goal scoring opportunities he misses. The fact he jsut cant cut it anywhere in the premiership.

Then maybe its his service. Damien Duff,who I'm not a fan off, cause one thing ireland was labelled as was a tough and fighting team, but he makes us out to be puffs because he is a filthy diver, a slight touch he is on the deck. But he does have amazing skill and is our best player, but sometimes you feel he relies o nthat too muc hand doesnt perform to his max cause he feels " Well he wont drop me" The right side we use a left footed player, Andy Reid, who is way way too unfit looking to be playing for ireland =) Although he has got a good kick, he sometimes looks for the fantastic bal lrahter then the easy pass.

The back four has nothing that would scare a striker, maybe Carr, but not much. And the midfield is flat,some young midfielders might get scared by Roy Keanes name, but an experienced player will know hes not up to much anymore. Holland never gives a demanding or aggresive hold on the middle and Kavangh is just granadaddy looking =)

Basicaly.....let Carsely come back, some talent would be nice =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Well the chances of that are quite slim.

And if we do get in.. Wonder whether he thinks he might get some credit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Andy Reid, who is way way too unfit looking to be playing for ireland
    no he's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Oh great.. Very good of him to announce his return with only 2 qualifying matches left to qualufy for the WC. Sure maybe we could give him some of the credit if we do qualify.. Wonder if it has anything to do with not wanting to do the hard bit and just wanting to play in a WC.
    If you read the article from the BBC site he stated that he's making himself available, but is quite willing to wait until the start of the next qualifying campaign for the euros.

Hes a good defensive midfield option. He did a great job for everton last season... a very unsung hero from that team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Well, he worked well alongside the other baldy fella, Graveson. I wouldnt be against him playing for us during the WC.

Advertisement