Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIT TKD Club Back training

• 19-09-2005 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

If anyone is interested, the DIT Taekwon do club is starting back training on Tuesday the 27th of September at 8pm in the Kevin Street hall.

Beginners are always more than welcome, so if your looking for a way to get fit/learn some self defence/have a bit of craic, grab something loose fitting/comfortable (tracksuit bottoms/shorts and a t-shirt) and come on down. There should be a fair few of the club members there from previous years who will be more than happy to answer any questions you have, or you can just PM me.

Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Do you know what's the story with going back training after a few years.. (I trained in kst for a few months in 2002) I was 7th kup in ITF and 6th kup in WTF.. but I seriously haven't trained in a long long time.. should I just go into class as a 7th kup and stand at the back with the beginners? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

You have to stand at the back as a newbie... surely the beginners need to see more then the experienced dudes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Is the club ITF or WTF? And if it's ITF, what Irish association is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Itf Inta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

You have to stand at the back as a newbie... surely the beginners need to see more then the experienced dudes?

What actually happens is the class is split into two, beginners and more senior members. We are lucky enough to have two (top class) instructors so one will take the beginners, which allows them to focus on the basics, and the other will take the senior members, which allows them to focus on push ups. :eek:

Repli: You'll be fine. I know a few of the guys trained a bit over the summer, and a few didn't, so the first few classes will be getting everyone back up to speed. You'll still recognise a lot of the same faces from when you were with us last anyway.

Innervision: We're an ITF club, associated with the INTA. We usually have a pretty good turn out at the nationals as well, which is nice if you want to get some competitions down.

• Advertisement

Sounds good, I'm a 1st degree with the RITA, might go along to a class and see what it's like though!

Great stuff. We have a few 1st and 2nd degree members training with us, so you shouldn't have to worry about spending all your time with more junior members

Is the club fairly big then? And is it just Tuesdays you train?

Training times are Tuesdays at 8-9:30ish and Thursdays at 6:30-8, in the Kevin St. Gym.

Its a big enough club, but like I said we have two instructors. A typical class would go something along the lines of:

Warm up - sprints, stretches (Although it helps if you do some stretching/warming up before class), Exercises to get the blood moving and the joints limber (punches, dynamic leg stretches, star jumps, squat thrusts, some sparring exercises, etc)

The class would then be split, as I mentioned earlier, with the beginner members (white belts / 9th Kup) going with one instructor and the rest (8th Kup +) with the other. The beginners can then focus on the basics (4 directional attack, sine wave motion, moving up and down the floor) while the other group can do other things; sparring, patterns, more stretching, etc.

Later on in the year, when the beginners have reached a certain standard, the class doesn't get split for sparring, although usually senior members will still pair off with other senior members and visa-versa.

Towards the end of the class everyone gets back together, mainly for warm down and some calistenics (push ups, sit ups and so on) although the senior members would usually be required to do more than the junior members. We also occasionally do some self defense style exercises, breaking out of holds and what not.

Finally, The entire class goes to the pub :D . Because, whats the point in training for 90 minutes if you can't get rid of the benifits after.

The times for this year have actually changed.

The new times are Tuesday: 8:30 to 9:45 and thursday 7 to 8:30

• Advertisement

Training sounds very similar to what we do anyway. I wouldn't be able to go on Thursdays because I train with my school then, but I think I'll drop by on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Si1ence

hey (your probly trainin as i send this) but i was wonderin about tkd in general... is it full contact? NHB? is there grappling involved or just sparring? i done Jeet Kune Doo in Sligo til it got closed down (somethin about "over the top" and "insurance") so im on the scout for somethin similar... am i on the wrong road altogether with tkd?

I wouldn't say the wrong road, just a different one. Ugh. How cheesy does that sound.

Its meant to be half contact, continuous sparring. Certainly not no holds barred. TKD focuses on sparring, and as such there isn't really any grappeling involved.

Advertisement