Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP that doesn't provide an Internet Service

• 19-09-2005 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for an ISP that actually provides an internet service. I set up an account with BT weeks ago. I called them
    today to check when I'd be switched over from Eircom and they told me they lost all my details. Possibly due to the fact
    that their sales staff record everything on paper. I called Eircom and asked about their broadband packege.
    After line rental, monthly fees, connection charges, upload, download and connection limitations and other meaningless random
    charges I figured it would be cheaper to set up my own Telco. I spoke to NTL, Smart Telecom and Irish Broadband. They were
    a nice bunch of people to talk to, but none of them could offer me any of their so-called "broadband services" as I live
    in the Dublin 6 area, which leads me to wonder do these companies exist at all? As for Imagine and Tele 2 I'd feel safer
    replying to spam mail with my bank details.

At this point I think I've exhausted all avanues. Maybe broadband just isn't supposed to happen for me. I suppose I could
    go back to using dial-up out of phone boxes.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Hi Sturgo... I can't believe I'm doing this, but I suggest you keep hassling BT. You could go with UTV, but price-wise BT is leagues ahead... if you don't mind the wait and can handle the incompetent sales staff.

I was with UTV for a year and was reasonably happy with their product. I just don't believe that it represents good value for money when compared to the current 2MB 24GB cap product (coupled with cheap line rental) that BT is peddling.

Alternatively try digiweb... maybe they are covering your area. Their new Metro product is pretty appealing on paper.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah, give digiweb a call about Metro. That seems a good offering, if you can get it.

Alternately, try BT again, though if you're fond of your hair you may just want to give up now. It seems that with BT when things are good, all is well, but when it goes wrong, then everything goes wrong, repeatedly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

sturgo wrote:
    I spoke to NTL, Smart Telecom and Irish Broadband. They were
    a nice bunch of people to talk to, but none of them could offer me any of their so-called "broadband services" as I lived
    in the Dublin 6 area, which leads me to wonder do these companies exist at all?

Yes they do, NTL cover about 100,000 of their 300,000 customers in Dublin and all their customers in Galway and Waterford.

Smart are enabling exhanges as they go, but it is hard and expensive work and it takes time.

IBB isn't worth talking about.

Like others have said keep trying BT, it is worth it once you get it. I hate to say it but Eircom isn't so bad, but it is more expensive then anyone else. Alternatively Digiweb has both DSL and a cool new looking wireless BB product called Metro and finally there is Clearwire offering wireless BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Don't think NTL cover D6 and D8 areas at the moment.
    I have clearwire in portobello and it's not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I spoke to digiweb and their Metro product looks great and it sounds like it works a lot better then IBB. Unfortunately I live in an apartment block and I might have trouble installing the required antenna. On the other hand Clearwire offer a similar product, without the antenna.

Eth0, what's your opinion on these people? Please tell me they are better than IBB! Anyways there's a geeezer from Clearwire comming over tomorrow to give me a demo.

• Advertisement

Sturgo... check the post "Metro is Coming"... Chaz is looking for someone living within 10KM of the 3 Rock site and in an apartment block to be a guinea pig for Digiweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

sturgo wrote:
    I spoke to digiweb and their Metro product looks great and it sounds like it works a lot better then IBB. Unfortunately I live in an apartment block and I might have trouble installing the required antenna. On the other hand Clearwire offer a similar product, without the antenna.

Eth0, what's your opinion on these people? Please tell me they are better than IBB! Anyways there's a geeezer from Clearwire comming over tomorrow to give me a demo.

I have BT and Clearwire. Can't fault clearwire at all, other than some drops but they are still in testing and haven't gone live yet. That's what I keep telling myself anyway :)

Seriously, Clearwire are quite good. And their support guys [if you ever have to call them] are great and really know their stuff. Actually, the few times I rang up they keep saying "ah, your the guy from Naas". Guess that means I'm on a 1:1 at the moment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

The guy from Clearwire came over to give me a demo this morning. The product looks very impressive. Just a simple wireless modem. Unfortunately for me I'm surrounded by a load of big old trees, so I couldn't get a clear LOS. Even in D6 and there's base stations all over the place.

Back to BT I suppose. I spoke them today and they assure they can connect me before the end of the year.

Hey Sturgo

Provided Eircom don't stuff you about too much during the transfer and BT can succeed in not losing your DTAF form, there's no reason why it should take more than a month to get BT broadband.

Just keep making a nuisance of yourself and call them daily to make sure everything is on track. If you leave them to get the job done you might end up getting nowhere and waiting a long time.

Good luck!

Advertisement