Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an insurance Broker double up on their commission?

Options
  • 19-09-2005 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

I just got my car insurance renewal and noticed a footnote which said

"to proceed with your renewal, please forward your cheque payment of €25 administration fee. Once we are in receipt of this we can release your certificate + disc of insurance"

So I phone them up and ask what do I have to do to renew and am told firstly you need to pay us €25 (for us), then we will bill you separately for your insurance. I thought this was strange as the insurance price includes €24.58 of broker commission already, and I questioned the amount.
    The woman said: "the €25 was introduced in April as an extra admin fee, and you must pay that first of all to us", this is not the same as commission, which is paid separately as part of the premium".

I pushed a bit asking if an undefined admin fee for a broker is not the same as adding extra commission, and what's bothering me the most is that these guys appear to have the best price.

Its Marsh + Eagle Star by the way.

Cheers
    Clanc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Just go somewhere else if you're not happy with the €25. I definitely wouldn't take that crap. Tell them if they want your business to waive the fee, otherwise you'll go elsewhere.

It's people not standing up to this kind of crap that has us being screwed left right and centre in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If it's still the best overall price (including the €25 fee), why would you go elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

If its still cheaper with the €25 then let it be.
    Shop around and dont be ripped off, if dearer - at least you tried! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

RainyDay wrote:
    If it's still the best overall price (including the €25 fee), why would you go elsewhere?

This wasn't stated in the original post.

Question then becomes are your "principals" with regards to knowingly allow yourself be taken for a mug by these people imposing the service charge are worth the €25.

If they are, take the deal. If they're not, stand by your principals.

Advertisement