Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Form automated Testing tools

Options
  • 19-09-2005 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I'm currently testing a large number of online HTML forms.
    I was wondering if there is a tool there that will automatically do the tests and with the desired test strings from a text file?

Autocomplete is turned off for these forms so I need another way to do it.

What tools does everyone else here use for Validation and Verification of HTML forms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think the only proper way to do it is by hand, the way it is intended to be used in real life. If you don't test is the way it will be used, then the tests lose their value somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I'm mostly looking to do this for the regression testing, all the new forms will be tested by hand.
    But I'm talking about maybe 60-80 forms needing to be tested after each new release.
    I'm not doing that everytime they produce a new release(which is almost daily at the moment :eek: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

evilhomer wrote:
    I'm mostly looking to do this for the regression testing, all the new forms will be tested by hand.
    But I'm talking about maybe 60-80 forms needing to be tested after each new release.
    I'm not doing that everytime they produce a new release(which is almost daily at the moment :eek: ).

ouch - I see what you mean. Do your forms check if a POST is made, or could you submit a form by hitting it's URL with the field names in the URL?

e.g.
    form.asp?txt_Name=Eoin&txt_County=Dublin&cmd_Submit=true

If the forms check the HTTP_REQUEST method specifically for a POST, then check out the MSXML Parser. This can send a POST to a page.

You could then set up a CSV or database that contains the URL in the first field, and the parameters in the 2nd. Loop through the file (or recordset) and pass the parameters in accordingly. If you are using IIS I could post an ASP example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Thanks for the offer Eoin_S

It would have to be done properly i'm afraid, the security is very tight so the POST/GET submits are all checked.

Its a J2EE/JSP project.

I was talking to a guy who recomended HttpUnit. Never used it before, does anyone know anything about it?

Advertisement