Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big drop English v German

Options
  • 19-09-2005 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Ok I need some advice, I am considering dropping down to pass English or pass German. I am doing seven higher level subjects and LCVP at the moment so dropping to one pass subject isn't going to affect me points wise but I am just wondering which one I should drop to pass in. We didnt do all that much English last year becuase we had a sub after Christmas who was crap so I think it is pointless killing myself in English now for no reason really when I can just drop to pass and probably free up time for other subjects. As for German well I'm not brillant at it but I have a better chance of doing well in it than I do in English and then there is LCVP which could come in handy. So any advice is welcome :)

P.S are there any implications if I drop to pass in either of these subjects as in what courses I couldn't do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

caesar wrote:
    I have a better chance of doing well in it than I do in English

Well, I guess there's your answer - drop in your weaker subject.

As for course implications dropping English would make you ineligble for most English courses I'd imagine (It will in Trinity anyway). I'd say that's about it though.

A similar scenario would occur for German I'd think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

I would definitely say drop the English, most people will know themselves if they will do well in English. It’s the kind of subject where having a genuine flair for it is important.

German is the complete polar opposite; if you put you head down and learn the stuff you can easily do well, even if you don’t particularly like the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

i dunno i'd drop to pass german it looks really bad on your cv (or so i've heard) to have done pass english... having a higher standard of english is more important... just my humble opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

Why would you put it on your CV anyway? Assuming you plan to do a degree of course…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Honours english is a good thing to have for the future, I've been told employers prefer it etc. but as has already been said if you feel your other subjects will suffer in order for you to be able to do well in english german is probably your best bet.

German would also be easier to get a better mark in if you are decent at it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

this isn't meant as a smart remark but how do you expect us to help. You know which you like better, are better at. why are you not asking your teachers/guidence councellor.

Advertisement