Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars

Options
  • 19-09-2005 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried Guild Wars yet? I've always been meaning to get a game like it (ie Camalot) but the subscription thing prevented me because I don't have time to be playing it regularly so I'd be wasting money. However, if GW is truely free once you buy it then it might be a good compromise.

Whats it like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

There's a MMORPG board here that a few of the GW players hang around at times.

You might get a better answer there than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I only got it recently myself.

It really looks amazing actually... there are some beautiful sights to take in around the countryside in it.

But the big problem I find with it is because it has no subscription charge it seems to be full of really horrible childish people. There are just so many people who are just nasty to each other for no reason.

I also play City of Heroes, and I find it has a much better community spirit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I play it quite a lot and i really enjoy it- It is truly free not a single cent spent after the initial game purchase but additional yearly add-on-packs will cost you extra.

I agree with the immaturity problem though,
    due to the fact its free you get a LOT of kids playing it and so it is often hard to find people you can trust to work as efficienty as a team and in a team driven game this is a major drawback. You cannot accomplish much in Guild Wars on your own as the missions are designed for the skills of many people to be used at once. Your best bet if you buy is to join a guild ASAP otherwise youre forced to work with about 25% of other players being complete morons who waste everyones time for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Guild Wars is excellent and I'll admit that I've been pretty much an addict since I bought it a few months back. It would be fair to say that there are a lot of idiots in the game because of the 'free' aspect of it. Too many kids with too much time on their hands so getting a good team can be difficult sometimes especially when PvP'ing. ;)

Your best bet is to get into a decent and friendly guild(like i did :D ) that will show you the ropes a bit, help out when they can and are actually interested in winning PvP/GVG battles. The guild i'm in is called An Cuallacht and it's the largest all Irish guild in the game as far as we know with well over 50 members now. We're still recruiting too so if you're interested send a whisper in game to Fian Adair(our leader) or any of our officers(Dr Furious, Lord Blonde, Jodie Bartolo, Mikaela Healmenow) and let them know you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Thanks, think I might make a CD Wow purchase!
    I also play City of Heroes, and I find it has a much better community spirit to it.

Is that free sub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Panserborn wrote:
    Is that free sub?

Unfortunetly not...

Oh and I'm in An Cuallacht myself too. They're a fairly good bunch alright. But they are all pretty far into the game already... so my character who I just started with just over a week ago hasn't quuite progressesed far enough just yet to work with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Oh and I'm in An Cuallacht myself too. They're a fairly good bunch alright. But they are all pretty far into the game already... so my character who I just started with just over a week ago hasn't quuite progressesed far enough just yet to work with them.

are ya? What's your character name? Yeah, a lot of us have beaten the game quite a while back and only really do PvP and the new Sorrow's Furnace PvE area. We also do runs to the Fissure of Woe and Underworld when Europe has the favour of the gods. But there's also a few of us that have started second and even third characters so once you get post searing we can help you out. :)

Advertisement