Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bandwidth usage query

• 19-09-2005 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

hey peps have a query reguarding bandwidth usage. im with utv clickcilver 8gb download and unmetered upload.

i recently started hosting my own forum from my computer... now im wondering will any hits to my site count as download or upload? i presume it would be upload data and not download? iv been monitoring my usage for the month and my download capacity is a being raped!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

there would be a combination of uploads and downloads as calls are made into the webserver and data retrieved. If you look at your own browsing usage you normally see about 10% upload traffic as a percentage of your downloads. So if your getting a lot of traffic it would be counting against your downloads.

With a dynamic site like a forum the percentage could be even higher as people do a lot of posting to the forum and retrieving data to read the forum so there would be a lot of data being passed in both directions

If your getting a lot of traffic it could be eating your download limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Most of it would be upload.

Advertisement