Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardtail bike - kona kula?

Options
  • 19-09-2005 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

hi, am looking at getting a nice new hardtail bike (xt groupset, discs, etc) for commuting and some singletrack, was thinking of the Merlin RockLobster Tig Team SL, alternatively the Kona Kula or something from Marin.
    currently i cycle a trek 6500 and it's fine but it's a tiny bit heavy.

have ye any opinions on these bikes? all cost roughly €1500 and have similar ish spec - any alternatives you might throw in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have a Kona Chute (2002 bike, not made any more as far as I know), which isn't dissimilar to the Kula. They seem to have relatively similar specs so the Kula get's the thumbs up from me. I don't know anything about the other bikes you mention though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I would go for the top Specialized Rockhopper or basic Stumpjumper you can get for that money.

I am hoping to get a new hardtail myself later in the year, which will probably be the Rockhopper Disc with Deore transmissiion & disc brakes, which will be around €1,069.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The Giant XTC2 has got a good spec for the money (or the XTC1 if you want a higher spec):
    http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p1086
    m2135_xtc2.jpg

The Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Disc is another good choice:
    http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p754
    m1713_sjhtc.jpg

If you're using it for commuting I hope you can bring it inside at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

thanks guys
    yeah we have a little batcave at work so it's safe enough there - i wouldn't leave a bike outside on the street after various mishaps that me and my friends and relations have had.
    i actually had a rockhopper a few years ago (admittedly the wrong size for me), it was ok but i prefer my trek for some reason, it just feels a lot mor maneouverable. i might even go for a trek 8000...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

The Chute and Kula are too different to compare, one is XC and the other (Chute) is designed as a hardcore freeride frame - no comparison. The Kula is a fine frame, been around for years. However for €1500 I'd look for something with a nicer feel, try a Klein. It is perfect for road and XC, sprints amazingly and aren't too common.

• Advertisement
Advertisement