Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the best decks/turntables to buy for a beginner dj????????

• 19-09-2005 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

So Im trying to start djing and i want to buy myself some decks and maybe turntables but i really dont know much about either, like how much money you should spend on your first set, if its wiser to buy them in somewhere like xmusic or to get them secondhand...So if anyone can help me with brands and prices, which are best...Plus its totally doable to teach yourself how to spin, right?
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

if you're on a budget, and not sure about dj'ing yet, buy one of those 'dj in a box', you can get em cheap enough, second hand.

could get 1 new for about 250-300 euro, maybe more now.

consists of a 2 channel mixer, 2 belt driven turntables and set of headphones, all i'll say is don't expect much, but they're ideal for starting out.

you needn't worry about buying technics or stanton just yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

you can get cheap direct drive decks, dont go near belt drives they'll bne shagged after a short time

go for 1210's when startin off, buy em second hand they'll sell for exactly the same if you want rid! perfect decks to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cuaifeadh

I got DJ-ina-box decks as a pressie from a couple of friends last month. They've got everything you need to start you off and you can get them cheapo second hand so that if it doesn't work out you're not out a tonne of money. They're way harder to use than anything I've played before because my friends have quality equipment, but it'll pay off in the long run. You'll be a lot quicker to react. It's fun messing up anyways - you're still spreading the music love. PLUR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Those DJ-in-a-box have gottenmuch better over th last few years, Don't go any where near a pair of belt drive decks, its just not worth it.

Try this: Numark Battlepack

what kinda stuff are you planning on playing?

Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michelleb1985

I guess like chart hip hop mixed with obscure hip hop/rnb but in the long run ultimately alternative rock and old-skool...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Technics 1200's or 1210's mate. Dont bother with anything else. You will be sorry cos what will happen is you will get used to using crap decks and when you start using Technics later, you will need to get used to them all over again.

Buy and sell - best place for cheap Technics.

As for a mixer? Anything with 2 channels, crossfader and bass, mid and treble knobs for each channel. Decks are more important, save up for a decent mixer later. Believe it... if u like! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I agree, go second hand 1210's if you can. They can be picked up cheaply and it's worth it in the long run. You will be extreemly limited to what you can do with cheap turntables and if you do get into it properly you will want to get rid of them pretty quickly. The 1210's will keep their value if you don't. If your into hip hop I presume you want to do some scratching as well? Forget about that with cheap decks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'm gonna jump on the Technics bandwagon too. You might as well get something that's built to last. I got my 1210s secondhand for €500 and they're in perfect nick. Like Loobz says, get yourself a basic mixer to start with - you can upgrade to something better in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

VinnyL wrote:
    you can get cheap direct drive decks, dont go near belt drives they'll bne shagged after a short time

go for 1210's when startin off, buy em second hand they'll sell for exactly the same if you want rid! perfect decks to have

Agrees - you'll get used to belt drives and then need to re-learn when you upgrade to direct drive - not worth it imo..

Plenty of second hand stuff about. Cash Convertors for instance in cork had about 4 sets of 1200's in for around 350-400 last time I was in there. Phone shops like them in advance to set-up a test, most good places will be willing to do this (By good I mean reputable).

Take a mate who has a bit more experiance with equipment and would know more on what to look for if you can. Check out e-bay for reasonable deals but here you run the risk of the gear being played out.

For the cost of a reasonable 'DJ in A Box' set-up, you could easily get a set of second hand direct drive 1200's or maybe a little xtra? budget about 500 tops I'd say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

Dont get turn tables get cd decks. For what you want them for, it would be pointless. Are you really going to buy charty rnb vinyls when you can just download them for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well the problem arises again on how limited you are by your equipment. Cheap cd decks will only be good for basic beatmatching and mixing. If that's all your looking to do then it's not a bad option but if you ever want to expand your mixing style you won't be able to do much unless your willing to fork out for something good like cdj 1000's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Dont get turn tables get cd decks. For what you want them for, it would be pointless. Are you really going to buy charty rnb vinyls when you can just download them for free.

Aw come on, You get a much better selection of tracks on a Vynil EP, than any cd's you can buy. But be warned Vynil is much like coke, expensive and addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

CD decks! *cringe*
    If that floats your boat, go ahead. Depends what you want to do. CD decks tend to be a bit "boring" - ie. limited techniques - unless you wanna fork out on CDJ 100's which are bloody expensive! Direct drive turntables will never die IMO - its appreciated alot more. Personally, Id prefer listening to a set mixed on turntables rather than CD decks, as its more natural. You might aswell let a computer mix for ya if you use CD decks. From a clubs point of view that might work, as computers work for peanuts these days saving the Club money. But I wont be there on the night, no frickin' way!

Advertisement