Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell overclocking

Options
  • 31-08-1999 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

has anyone tried overclocking a dell pc
    and i so how'd it go and if it went well how'd ye manage to do it?
    please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Yeah, I've been asking about this before. The problem is with the motherboards that Dell use, well the newer ones are intel 440xx, is that there are no jumpers/dip-switches on it. So you have to use a program called SoftFBS. You can change the FBS from within the application. I dont really know much about it but you have to find out what type of m/b you have and what type of clock you are using. Also I dont really know how the fooking thing works, whether it mucks about with the bios or what, so I am sort of hesitant about using it.

Personally I would perfer if I could mess about with the jumper settings or something.

If someone can give us a hand with this......post it!

BTW is it true you can only use PC100 MHz when overclocking. Well there is something to do with the RAM and an o/c.

[This message has been edited by Helv (edited 31-08-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

just a quick q on the dell motherboards.
    i have one (obviously!) and i was wondering if its possible for me to upgrade to a pIII 550 or something from a pII400.
    im not sure if the board will actually let me coz theres something in the manual about an auto detect that detects the speed of your processor and only goes up to 400mhz or something. just wondering.

I'm not sure about that, but if you change the jumper setting on the board to 550, although you'll have to check your m/b to see if it can do that, it should boot up and be changed in the bios. Dont take my word for that, but it makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Um, I think you need a Slot II board for Pentium IIIs, and a Slot 1 board for Pentium IIs... but I don't know. I've kinda gone off Intel stuff smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

nah dan, slot-2 is for xeon's

pentium 3's will go on a slot-1 motherboard

you might need a bios upgrade to detect the new chip though

• Advertisement

Yes, but anything about overclocking it?

Yes, but anything about overclocking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Check out the Dell website under support for you motherboard.

for example
    support.dell.com/oti/systems/dkhan/Jumpers.htm (Fish around for your own system!)

You need to set the maintenance mode jumper on the board to on.
    This adds extra options with the bios setup screens and I believe one of them is processor speed......

[This message has been edited by marauder (edited 06-09-99).]

[This message has been edited by marauder (edited 06-09-99).]

Advertisement