Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC radio in Ireland

• 20-09-2005 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Why do certain Irish newspapers list the BBC radio listings - is it just for readers in NI ?

Is there anywhere in the Republic where you can receive BBC radio reception - eg radio 2 or radio 4...I know you can get it in the North and probably around the border...

Would I get them on a DAB radio here in the Republic does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

You can get it through NTL, on their box there's a plug in for radio, if you run a coax from that to your radio then you can tune if their stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

you can get them via satellite aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

yep I thought they were the only options. No chance of getting it on an actual radio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can get them on the east coast with a decent radio and a long aerial
    but reception can be a bit patchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Almost all the east coast is covered by UK FM transmitters....the only thing is though that the Dublin pop stations broadcast on virtually the exact or near enough to, the same frequencies, so drowning out the weaker signals.

All the BBC stations (except Radio1) are broadcast on MW and some on LW even and you can pick them up no bother. Also on satellite as others have mentioned.
    Such a joy to be able to listen to a station and not have it f*cked over with sh*tty ads every ten minutes...

• Advertisement

what frequency is BBC Radio 2 on MW

Oops....my mistake :o, they must have ceased R2 on MW....DAB has changed a lot of the output, so that's R1 and R2 that only come in on FM now (88.7 for R2 in my locale)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You should have little trouble getting bbc five live on 693 or 909 mw if you're near the coast.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

interestingly you can only get five live in full stereo on ntl

but it isnt actual stereo. it may say stereo on the radio but it isnt. 5 Live is all mono

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote:
    Oops....my mistake :o, they must have ceased R2 on MW....DAB has changed a lot of the output, so that's R1 and R2 that only come in on FM now (88.7 for R2 in my locale)

Unfortunately I am inland, but reasonably high up...where abouts are you?

Does anyone know the LW frequency for R4 and whether it can be found?

R4 resides on 192 on the LW band and it can be picked up with no difficulties in the Waterford area at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm in Donegal, we get BBCs 1-5 loud and clear. I don't have a DAB, so I can't get BBC6, but intend to when I'm in Belfast because it's a good channel.

BBC R1 = 97.3FM
    BBC R2 = 88-89FM
    BBC R3 = 91-92FM
    BBC R4 = 192-199LW

You can always use tinternet too - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioX - and play back everything for the past week..

jrey1981 wrote:
    Unfortunately I am inland, but reasonably high up...where abouts are you?

Does anyone know the LW frequency for R4 and whether it can be found?

Just N of Dundalk, but I'm pretty sure that all my BBC radio traffic is received from a transmitter on the mid Wales coast (the strongest and best stereo signal at least)
    The frequencies listed on this site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/radio1.shtml point to that.

R4 is 192 LW and 720 MW

Got BBC R2 on 88.7FM on the car radio in Arklow (on the coast) but not available here...

Will try R4 on LW when I get a chance but doubt I will get it.

RDS equipped radios seem to be better for receiving (and holding) the FM stations.

If you're trying MW be advised that the service has been intermittent the last week or so during the day...I'd say they're getting ready to turn off the MW transmissions altogther....DAB seems to be going in to full swing.
    Longwave shouldn't be a problem but be advised that you might run into cricket coverage! LW carries some programme varaitions over it's FM cousin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

jrey1981 wrote:
    Is there anywhere in the Republic where you can receive BBC radio reception - eg radio 2 or radio 4...I know you can get it in the North and probably around the border...
    I can pick up all the BBC FM radio stations just about to Ashbourne and sometimes around Howth on a good day on my (once top of the range) Pioneer RDS car-radio. You can pick up Radio 4 long wave on 198 LW and 728 MW all the way down to East Cork.

It seems that you need a good radio and decent size eg car aerial. For instance, if I was to get a personal radio with FM/LW and try listening on the train to Dublin...I wonder if I would get it between Wicklow and Dublin as the train goes mostly along the coast.

jrey1981 wrote:

you shouldnt have any trouble getting it tbh

Making do with downloading Radio4 In Business and From our own Correspondent podcasts to my Nokia phone for the moment...

• Advertisement

From Our Own Correspondent is a great listen of a sunday morning.

The Listen Again feature is pretty comprehensive these days....it'll even work with dial-up if you're patient...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Chorus offer the BBC stations (except 5 live) on their service. just wire the cable into the BNC socket of your hi fi the same way you would wire it into your TV.

BBC radio also availible on Sky and the web http://www.bbc.cp.uk/radio

Wertz wrote:
    From Our Own Correspondent is a great listen of a sunday morning.

The Listen Again feature is pretty comprehensive these days....it'll even work with dial-up if you're patient...

It is annoying though that it uses Realplayer and not Windows Media Player.
    There is probably a way I could download Realplayer and then upload it onto my phone...I think some other Nokias come with it pre-installed.

I hate realplayer with a passion.
    But I use real alternative firefox plug-in (comes with media player classic) and I'm sure you can use some sort of stream grabber program to rip it to wav and then mp3 or whatever, once you realise that the material is copyrighted

I can get a real mobile player but I would have to get my phone software upgraded. A pain really...not sure if I can be bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Wertz wrote:
    I hate realplayer with a passion.
    But I use real alternative firefox plug-in (comes with media player classic) and I'm sure you can use some sort of stream grabber program to rip it to wav and then mp3 or whatever, once you realise that the material is copyrighted

have you checked to see if this show is availible on iTunes? theres a shed load of bbc programmes availible on podcast now, it might be there.

Yeah it prolly is but I don't use iTunes or their accompanying player...BBC offer their podcasts directly now...

Just checked and Correspondent is one of their trial podcasts listed:
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rmhttp/downloadtrial/radio4/fromourowncorrespondent/rss.xml
    [edit] You need to open that using iTunes or whatever. I don't know how xml works TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

u can easily get radio 4 on lw anywhere in ireland ,other bbc stations radio ,5 .scotland and wales are on medium wave.u can get radio 1 and 2 on fm on east coast if u have a telescopic, aerial,on ur radio.i think r4 has the most intelligent discussion programs of any radio station,up all night on radio 5 is good if u are up after 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

I receive most of the BBC channels from the transmitter in Derry . I listen to BBC radio 1 on the way to work in town (Chris Moyles is quality) on 98.3 FM , perfect reception in the car all the way in north county dublin , meath , louth , perfect around Balbriggan , Dublins 98FM radio starts to cut in around the Swords Exit on the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

mike65 wrote:
    You should have little trouble getting bbc five live on 693 or 909 mw if you're near the coast.

Mike.

I get 5 live in the car no bother once it gets dark, and I am on the coast, the West Coast, great in winter for football and sport discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

In North County Dublin I pick up BBC Radio Merseyside on MW 1485, great for following the toffees. As a previous poster said BBC Radio 1 can be received with no problems on 98.3fm and also 99.1fm around the same area.

jrey1981 wrote:
    Got BBC R2 on 88.7FM on the car radio in Arklow (on the coast) but not available here...

Yeah most of the BBC stations are available on FM in Arklow.
    Radio one is on 98.3.
    If you go inland and up onto higher ground with a view to the sea,you'll get them all with RDS and you'll get some of the welsh local stations on FM also eg Real radio and radio pembokeshire which i think is on 102.5

As for radio 4 on LW-you will get that loud and clear anwhere in wicklow -even west wicklow and certainly in Avoca,Rathdrum or anywhere in between.

I need an LW radio now with an aerial...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

jrey1981 wrote:
    Why do certain Irish newspapers list the BBC radio listings - is it just for readers in NI ?

Would I get them on a DAB radio here in the Republic does anyone know?

I can pick up BBC Radio 1 on fm,have the atenna hooked all the way up to the TV ariel on the roof so can pick up all the BBCs.Thank God as its miles ahead of any of the Irish stations.Chris Moyles ist Fantastiche followed by a couple of other good jockeys on that station.Their evening stuff is nice comercialess music

u dont need an aerial for long wave reception.

• Advertisement

gamer wrote:
    u dont need an aerial for long wave reception.

Must try and get a LW radio somewhere in that case...have experimented with listening through the internet in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Wertz wrote:
    Just N of Dundalk, but I'm pretty sure that all my BBC radio traffic is received from a transmitter on the mid Wales coast (the strongest and best stereo signal at least)
    The frequencies listed on this site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/radio1.shtml point to that.

R4 is 192 LW and 720 MW

Just seen this now... so much to say... :D

I fancy that you are getting the relay on Camlough, wertz, good strong reception in car, really from the airport to the far side of Newry, when Divis kicks in.

Frequencies for Camlough...
    Radio 1 98.3
    Radio 2 88.7
    Radio 3 90.9
    Radio 4 104.6
    Radio Ulster 93.1

If you go to Belfast, and see Sainsburys/B&Q in Lisburn, on the right, you will see the 5 Live (909 kHz) Radio 4 (720 kHz) Radio Ulster (1341 kHz) MW mast at Lisnagarvey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/radio_trans/n_ireland_fm.shtml#divis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/radio_trans/medium_long_wave.shtml

BBC Radio 2 on 90.1 MHz is gettable across a good swathe of the North East of the country, Louth/Meath/Cavan/Monaghan. I once heard it as far down as Celbridge (no tropo)

Depending on where the OP is, it is really getable with a good Band II FM outdoor aerial in these areas. They are not too commonly installed in Ireland, but Maplins have such kit. You can improve LW and MW reception using fine copper wire and a picture frame, which watty recommends on ICDG here.

BBC Radio 4 LW is 198 kHz.
    Its getable in Valentia, and great for cricket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

DMC wrote:

And unless you pay for Sky, 'tis only place you'll get it:mad: :mad: :mad: . And during the summer tests in England you have to go to radio 5 live which sometimes isn't the clearest, even on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

i'm in roscommon and i get a decent bbc radio 1 reception.I listen to chris moyles most mornings-he's class. I can sometimes receive radio 2 and radio 4 as well but that depends on the weather

DMC wrote:
    Just seen this now... so much to say... :D

I fancy that you are getting the relay on Camlough, wertz, good strong reception in car, really from the airport to the far side of Newry, when Divis kicks in.

Frequencies for Camlough...
    Radio 1 98.3
    Radio 2 88.7
    Radio 3 90.9
    Radio 4 104.6
    Radio Ulster 93.1

If you go to Belfast, and see Sainsburys/B&Q in Lisburn, on the right, you will see the 5 Live (909 kHz) Radio 4 (720 kHz) Radio Ulster (1341 kHz) MW mast at Lisnagarvey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/radio_trans/n_ireland_fm.shtml#divis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/radio_trans/medium_long_wave.shtml

BBC Radio 2 on 90.1 MHz is gettable across a good swathe of the North East of the country, Louth/Meath/Cavan/Monaghan. I once heard it as far down as Celbridge (no tropo)

Depending on where the OP is, it is really getable with a good Band II FM outdoor aerial in these areas. They are not too commonly installed in Ireland, but Maplins have such kit. You can improve LW and MW reception using fine copper wire and a picture frame, which watty recommends on ICDG here.

Ah, I stand corrected...was wondering why I'd be getting such clear signals from the welsh coast. Similar situation with my TV reception (only not as clear :mad: ) with the camlough/divis switching (I'm in an area where neither comes in clearly and both overlap)

Oh and another vote for Moyle-sy in the mornings, (and Sara Cox or Zoe Ball before him); in fact the only jock I can't abide by is that feckin' arsehole Vernon Kay....what a complete knob.
    I'm fed up comparing R1 to any of the Irish pop stations; it's chalk and cheese in so far as quality outpout and DJing go, especially in the daytime...oh well at least I have the choice as to whether to listen to it or not...

• Advertisement

u can get radio in charity shops ,fm,lw and long wave 20e or less,,try and get 1 that has tv,coax aerial fm aerial in socket, thats handy for connecting to ntl radio stations bbc 2 ,3,4 in fm,,or to external long range fm aerial.

This is the best shop online for radios... http://www.simplyradios.com/

btw, don't go for a DAB or Digital radio. They don't work down here, unless you are really close to the border, on the east coast facing Wales or live on a big north facing hill or mountain.

Some personal picks...

Roberts R9994 Sports Walkman with LW I have the older model with no built-in speaker which you may still be able to get in Currys in Dublin. This radio has BBC branding, great reception of Radio 4 LW and 5 Live on MW for a walkman.

For radios in situ, on this page I'd go for the Roberts R9999, with RDS station display and FM/MW/LW.

Am I right in thinking that DAB coverage is moreorless identical to freeview coverage?

More or less, yes. If you can get Freeview in your location, you should be able to get DAB. Not a dead cert, but a good bet.

That's that out the window then so...

Not quite... can you get Channel 5 on TV?

Aye but it's truly truly unwatchable...imagine a blizzard between your armchair and the telly. Only time I can get it at all watchable is during a very hot summer's evening....some sort of odd thing about the atmospherics and the Irish sea I think, since I can get all the welsh TV channels crystal clear at that time too....and we're back to welsh transmitters again lol

Well, for people near the border hoping to get DAB and Freeview digital terrestrial TV, Channel 5 is the best indicator. If you can get it, you should be able to get digital radio and TV.

Sorry to hear that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Here are frequencies for BBC stations broadcast over the Chorus analog system... (these are in Limerick I'm not sure if they are the same in other Chorus locations)

BBC World Service - 100.1 fm
    BBC Radio 2 - 104.3 fm
    BBC Radio 3 - 104.8 fm
    BBC Radio 1 - 105.5 fm
    BBC Radio Ulster - 105.9 fm

Also:

Classic FM - 106.2 fm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I live in South Dublin, I have the 'Basic' NTL package and with the FM socket connected to my Hi Fi I receive . . . . . .

BBC Radio 1
    BBC Radio 2
    BBC Radio 3
    BBC Radio 4
    BBC Radio 5
    BBC Radio Ulster
    BBC World Service
    Classic FM
    RTE Radio 1
    RTE 2FM
    Today FM
    Lyric FM (poor signal)
    Newstalk 106 on (101.1FM) for some reason?
    + another couple of odd bod stations I cant remember now.

I also have an old FM aerial on the roof for when the NTL is off (very rarely)
    the roof aerial picks-up the BBC Radio Stations from Wales, but only on a good day!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement