Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC radio in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Didnt know that Newstalk was on basic analogue. From the NTL website...
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/frequency.html#dublin%20radio
    Radio Frequencies for Dublin Cable

[B]Radio Station		Frequency[/B]

RTE Radio 1		89.4
    2FM			91.7
    RnaG			93.9
    Lyric FM		97.5
    FM 104			104.6
    BBC Radio 2		90.1
    BBC Radio 3		92.3
    BBC Radio 5 LIVE	95.1
    BBC World Service	97.1
    Classic FM		101.9
    BBC Radio Ulster	94.5
    World Radio Network	102.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

DMC wrote:
    Didnt know that Newstalk was on basic analogue. From the NTL website...

Newstalk is broadcast on the NTL "Basic package" but as I say its on the rather strange frequency of 101.1FM, I did make enquiries to NTL and they told me that there used to be a German speaking Station on that frequency and when it was let go they just filled the vacant frequency "101.1FM" with Newstalk 106 - and there it remains to this day.

Check it out and see for yourself!

Yes, DW used to be there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I don't have any experience of BBC FM radio reception from Wales, but from the north you can always try these frequencies on FM...

BBC Radio 1 - 98.3 / 99.0 / 99.7
    BBC Radio 2 - 88.7 / 89.4 / 90.1
    BBC Radio 3 - 90.9 / 91.6 / 92.3
    BBC Radio 4 - 94.9 / 95.6 / 96.0 / 103.9 / 104.6
    BBC Radio Ulster - 93.1 (Radio Foyle) / 93.8 / 94.5

On medium & long wave

BBC Radio 4 - 198 / 720 / 774
    BBC Radio 5 - 693 / 909 / 990
    BBC Radio Ulster - 792 (R.Foyle) / 873 / 1341

You should also be able to get some of the independents as well, Classic FM on 100.5 (Derry) or 101.9 (Belfast), Downtown Radio may be possible on 96.6, 102.4, 103.1 or 103.4 and 1026 MW, while Q101 can be got on 101.2 and Q102 on 102.9. On Medium Wave, Talk Sport is on 1053 and 1089 and Virgin can be found on 1215.

My personal experience is that on a good car radio, UK FM radio reception is usually good enough up to North Dublin County, streching into Meath, Westmeath, Longford, Roscommon, Sligo and much of Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Does anybody know if there are any plans for DAB radio in the Republic? I stayed with a friend recently in Southern England and was very impressed with his DAB reception (and all the data) that scrolls acros the LED display ............. Title ............ Artist .............Album .............. Year .......... Date ............. etc. Brilliant, but are we getting it someday? and as a matter of interest is it just available in England, or is it broadcast across the UK (including N.I)?

RTE are doing a trial at the moment, but its not clear or certain that they will fully launch a service. It is available across most of NI, and coming to west Wales soon.

Look at this thread here... and read about mine and other efforts to get DAB from NI and the current RTÉ trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mossy Monk wrote:
    R4 resides on 192 on the LW band and it can be picked up with no difficulties in the Waterford area at least
    you can really get it in waterford well i suppose i should have good chance in limerick then
    i remember i used to be able to get atlantic 252 on lw until they shut it down
    plus i cant get loads of french channels and english ones on lw
    once when i was down in the south of cork i got a american station but it turned out somehow i was just getting it from a boat that was nearby and they were somehow getting it
    and when i was in germany i got loads of english channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Atlantic 252 broadcast from someplace in the north east (meath?) if I recall correctly....either that or I'm talking out my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Wertz wrote:
    Atlantic 252 broadcast from someplace in the north east (meath?) if I recall correctly....either that or I'm talking out my arse.

Yep, over near summerhill if I remember correctly

...managed to pick up a signal from 252 in western france one time!

• Advertisement

That transmitter is still on the air, of course, broadcasting RTÉ Radio 1. Its near Summerhill. Atlantic's studios were in Mornington House, Trim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

1huge1 wrote:
    you can really get it in waterford well i suppose i should have good chance in limerick then

for me it is as clear as the RTÉ Radio 1 LW broadcast on 252. where abouts is the Radio 4 LW transmitter can someone tell me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Here you are mossy a linkey for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭cil_aine

you can get RnaG and RTE 1 around north wales and south west wales quite clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Eddiem

Does any one know how to improve MW reception in An Opel Vectra (04).???? It is Cr*p!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND there is no LW !!!!!!! Garage says..."There all like that"..... Can anyone reccomend a brand of radio I can replace it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

jrey1981 wrote:
    Why do certain Irish newspapers list the BBC radio listings - is it just for readers in NI ?

Does anyone actually refer to a newspaper listing to find a radio program to listen to?

What's on 2FM at nine o' clock today? Oh! It's Gerry Ryan, that's unusual. Who would have thought, I must tune in :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

im in galway and i can get bbc radio 5 live. for some reason the signal is alot better in the evening
    mike65 wrote:
    You should have little trouble getting bbc five live on 693 or 909 mw if you're near the coast.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You can get BBC Radio 4 on the car radio if you've a decent aerial - 720 on the AM band.

At home, why not use the electrical internet to listen to whatever you want to hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

I'm in Walkinstown in Dublin, and I can usually pull Radio 1 in pretty good on 99.7fm on the car radio. It seems to vary. If you head up around the Tallaght region, it even comes up on the RDS. The Naas road, M50 heading south before the N3 exit and most other spots are clear as day. BBC R2 also is pretty good on 90.1fm. When I was working in Bray, Radio 1 was on 99.4fm, perhaps from Wales?

Why is it that when you receive these stations through ntl cable to your radio, that none have RDS? Classic fm and BBC R2 used to display the name, but not anymore??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Why is it that when you receive these stations through ntl cable to your radio, that none have RDS? Classic fm and BBC R2 used to display the name, but not anymore??
    It's because I think they're now sourced directly from satellite rather than off-air.

When they are relayed off-air onto the cable network the RDS info would also be relayed. I believe that back in the 1990's and early 2000's Classic FM, BBC Radios 2, 4 and Ulster were received "off-air" from Divis while BBC Radios 1 & 3 were fed from analogue satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Callum Bevan

You can get just about all the BBC stations on the east coast, i listen to radio Scotland on 810 MW for the Celtic games and never have much problems with reception. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

u can get all the stations on medium wave on the east coast or in the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Callum Bevan

You can also get some of the british local stations eg West Sound and Radio City, well in Lucan anyway. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

MrJones wrote: »
    im in galway and i can get bbc radio 5 live. for some reason the signal is alot better in the evening

693 or 909 mw. as said by others better reception from late eve and through the night - pity cant get good reception all the time. bbc radio 5 and talk sport are good stations. dont know about the west coast tho prob worse again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Jaysus. way to dig up and OLD thread!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement