Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

site critique: tcal 2

Options
  • 20-09-2005 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I was wondering if people can take a look at the newly revised http://tcal.net/

It is generally very beta-ey and buggy so be careful.

Some points:

#1. It requires javascript. In a perfect world I will add code so it degrades gracefully, but beta beta beta, thats my excuse. :)

#2. I'm going out on a limb using AJAX for the commenting. It works for me in Firefox and IE6 which covers 86.7% of visitors. I'm hoping it will be ok in Safari (2.9%) but I can't test this myself so any comments on this are particularly useful. It doesn't appear to work in Opera. I have a distinct feeling I may have to roll away from the ajax simply because it'll cause people problems. TCAL points to a huge amount of broadband content anyway so return users are more likely to be at least modern browser enabled, but I know, it's bad usability.

#3. I'm aware that going live with a site in this state could be considered bad practice, but TCAL is for fun and I have some time right now to get this out.

#4. It validates xml. At least it did a little while ago...

#5. I'm not sure how I feel myself about the 'submit a link' 'popular posts' and 'register & post' pop-up divs, try em on, I'm very open to suggestions on those ones. Register & Post is close to just a place holder.

#6 There's some very dirty layout code in there, which I'm a little embarassed about but will fix soon.

I appreciate comments on the look & feel, and as per the above I'm very interested in the comments feature. I've no problem with people leaving bogus comments, if I spot them I'll delete them. To try the ajaxified stuff, just browse to http://tcal.net/ and click on the comment graphic or text at the bottom of each post.

Update: Bleh. Almost certainly gonna get rid of the ajax stuff and go back to bog standard wordpress stuff.

Thanks a mill,

danger.

edit: if interested you can read more on my thinking behind the design here: http://tcal.net/archives/2005/09/20/tcal-20-a-geek-update/ .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If the AJAX is clicking on the Comments (x) link, being able to see comments and reply, then that works in Safari. At least I presume it does. When I post a commend (with no email address), the WP comments PHP page tells me I'm missing required details. Looks good though!!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

yeh that's it. It's small, but it's at least a starting point to play around with.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yup absolutely .. and there are many benefits , even of that small snip .. works fine in Safari 2+ anyway!

.cg

Advertisement