Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Entries for the Boards Film Festival

• 20-09-2005 4:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Right.

first week of january, is the time we have set up for the boards film festival. MonkeyFudge is taking care of the location and i am organising both the entries and the program.

Here is how you enter your piece.

First you get it on minidv. (If this is not possible pm me with the formats you can get it on, but please try and get minidv).

Then send me a pm with the following details for each Individual film you are entering, if you are having more then one entry i will need one for each film.
    Name of entry:

Length:

Name of cast and crew:

What equipment it was filmed and edited on:

You may also provide the following 2 details.
    Your contact details and the sort of positions your available for.

A brief paragraph about the piece and/or filmmakers.

This is to ensure i know how many tapes i am expecting in the mail and if it doesnt show up that i can find out which tape and contact you for a replacement. If you followed all this and i dont contact you about it being lost in the post, and your film does not appear in the festival, you may savagly maul me.

Then you mail it to the following address.

Connla Lyons
    Mill Road
    Thurles
    Tipperary
    Ireland

simple.

From that i will put all the pieces on 1-3 minidv tapes (depending on length) and do up a programme for everyone at the festival.

YOU ALL HAVE TILL DECEMBER 17th TO GET THE ENTRY SENT TO ME. (THAT MEANS SENT BEFORE DECEMBER 17th!)

If anyone here has contacts with some high quality programme makers (or anything similar) pm me to see if it can help.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

BIG FLASHING RED WARNING LIGHTS!

i knew i forgot something.

I am not 100% on the details but if you have a copyrighted piece of music or piece footage on your entry, then i recommand removing it and replacing it with non copyrighted material.

As far as i know screening such material in public (even if it has free entry) can bring alot of sh*t down on the organisers (me and Fudge, maybe even Boards).

I could be wrong and await correction, but from what i can find and what i have found in my own experiance, it is better not to risk it.

UNLESS you can get permission from those who own the copyrighted material, remove it from your piece. IF you feel you can get permission (RTE, local band) then get it and add the details onto your piece. but i doubt anyone here is gonna get into contact with Metallica before christmas and get permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

oooh, i may think about getting something in for this.

in relation to the rights issue: films incorporating copyrighted material cannot be shown publicly (like all those places DVD's list: oilrigs and the like).

theres hella lots of places to get music under Creative Commons licences. Archive.org Open Source Audio is great. much of it is beautiful and understated and makes for great film score. see www.creativecommons.org for lots more places to get tunes.

well thanks for that.

Hope to see some of your material at the festival.

another thing i forgot.

Closing date for entries is the 17th of december

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I personally plan to enter an as yet untitled monkey related project.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is DVD ok? I'll have to edit and do some post-production work. It won't be possible for me to submit it on DV tape.

yeah..dvd will be fine. if minidv is impossible.

For Dfolnep and others intending to send via DVD.

when your sticking your project onto the dvd make sure its a DV-stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I had a shooting delay but I'm fully certain it will be complete long before November 30th. I'll send it in as soon as it's shot and edited. Not much to be done, it's only a 4 minute short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Hmm...I do have a film but there's a whole dance scene and some Doors jokes in it so the music is fairly important... Should I bother entering it? Also it was entered into another film festival before and the copyrighted music was not a problem as it was an amateur event. (The Fresh Film Festival). The music sections are very short though as well. Couldn't we get away with it?

• Advertisement

Oh I'm sure we probably would get away with it.

But that doesn't stop it being copyright infringement and it's best not to get into the practice of using copyrighted material in your short films.

Actually I was reading recently about why the fillm Bubba Ho'Tep, a film all about Elvis, didn't actually feature any Elvis songs... it was because the rights to use an Elvis track would have taken up 50% of the overall budget for the film.

I don't see the harm in it, if they're only amateur films. Obviously if it was a professional production and you had a budget of five billion simeoleons you would.

the warning is there just to cover myself and monkeyfudge's hide. If it is 100% impossible for your piece to work without the tracks then you can put them in. I'm only acting out of advice i got from other amateur screening i went too.

-i think the best thing going for us is that we are not having the screening in a cinema, as the actually cinema itself would pull the plug on the festival if we use copyright material.

Ah okay, I'll take out the music from the credits as it's too long. Whenever you find out the venue I'll see if I can enter it or not. I totally understand your position, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hmmm I might send my piece off.... I'll have to have words with the director. No Copy right issues though, as the music is original.

John

Any idea of the location. Can we attache info on how to contact the Producer etc, just incase some one is interested. What guarantee do we have that our film won't appear on RTE With your name on the credits ;)

John

Eh, my piece is 45-odd minutes long, is that a problem. Sorry about multiple posts.

John

I have a venue on the North East side of Dublin.

45 minutes might be a bit on the long side for what we're planning. But I guess it depends on how many entries we have.

Can we attache info on how to contact the Producer etc, just incase some one is interested.

sorry to sound nasty, but i have had about a 100 similar questions by pm.
    Then send me a pm with the following details for each Individual film you are entering, if you are having more then one entry i will need one for each film.

Name of entry:

Length:

Name of cast and crew:

What equipment it was filmed and edited on:

You may also provide the following 2 details.

Your contact details and the sort of positions your available for.

A brief paragraph about the piece and/or filmmakers.

I will hopefully be putting together a programme with all the information anyone could want on each entry. If you want to have contact details put on it, i will put the contact details on it.

Well if 45 minutes is too long, there's no point in me sending it. Can you let me know. Blitzkrieg, I didn't know if the contact details you wanted were just for your use, or if they'd be made public. IE, I'd put my details if it was for your use, but the Director/Producer's details if they were being made public :) I don't know what questions have been asked to you via PM :)

John

• Advertisement

Well is 45 Minutes too long? Can I get an answer?

John

this is a piece you have already put together right?

Well, its all ifs and donts.

As of the moment we have had 1 entriy. My pm box sits empty and not a single minidv has come to my house in the mail etc.

so of course if things stay relatively mute, i.e very few entries actually materilize, then a 45 minute entry would be no bother, but only if you can accept being put on the spotlight for a grueling Q+A.

But if by mid october early november i get flooded with entries, then we would perfer a shorter entry of you so we can have more time to screen work by other members.

Sorry that i cant give you a definite answer.

Spotlight? Oh, I won't be going to the festival. Neither will the Director, we're both in England and since there's no indication of who will be there, or if there is going to be any other films entered it's probably best if we don't follow this up.

John

OI!

The date for the Boards.ie Film festival has been moved back till the first week of january that means you have until the 17th of december to prepare your piece for entry.

As of the moment the number of entries is still pretty much 000.

Which is very worrying.

just so you all know.

Entries brough to the festival that have not gone through the process outlined on page 1 will NOT be shown.

this is for 2 reasons.

1 -if a piece has something that dances on the grey area of the law, the organisers need to know about it.

2. -If no one actually sends us a copy of their pieces we will cancel the festival due to lack of interest.

For me and Gavin (monkeyfudge) to know exactly how much time we need etc we need to have a solid confirmation from the parcipitants. and that confirmation is.

-A PM giving the cast, crew and technical details of the piece.
    -A copy of the piece on mini DV or DVD (DV STREAM!)

the closing date is 17th of december.

-For any of the students on this forum, if you could inform your lecturers etc about this event, then maybe some of your classmates would like to enter aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

No entries? That is a bit shat :-/

Working on something (documentary on a dublin art movement) at the minute, in-between actual paying projects... hopefully it will be done in time for the deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just finished shooting today. Ruff edit will be done by next weekend and then we will have to write, record and re-edit. If its done in time would it be ok to send in a film that is over an hour long. Its done on a budget of about 600 by 6th year students in our spare time. I would of course have to talk with the director/producer first.

I can asure you its great quality aswel, we had a film in Darklight last year, mostly the same cast and crew. Heres a link to the festival brochure for our last film http://www.darklight-filmfestival.com/pages/s_sun_broken.htm

would it be ok to send in a film that is over an hour long

lump asked us a similar question above.

its on 2 minds here.

If we get alot of entries over the next 2 weeks or so, then no, as a hour long piece would not give enough times to other entries.

If we get very few entries then its fine, but your gonna have to take a gruelling Q+A as your entry will prob be the most prominant (being an hour long)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

That would be grand with the cast and crew but Id have to check with the Director. I asked him today and he sayys it will be a squeeze to get it done in time though. Heres hoping. Can you let us know what venue and date we are talking about for definate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I was just in a short and i know the director wants to send it off everywhere just to get his name out, i think its only like 5 mins though, like i said its really short.Is that ok?

• Advertisement

all the details are on the front page of this thread.

yes short is fine. most of the pieces will be around 5 minutes anyway.

Advertisement