Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sattelite TV

• 20-09-2005 4:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

I want to buy a sattelite TV system but I dont know a lot about them.
    I dont want sky particularly as i know i can just buy a sattelite system and get most channels + more for free.
    I would like to watch 2 different channels on 2 different TVs

i guess i need a dish + a decoder + cables.

Any recommendations as to what is good equipment from anyone who knows a lot about this stuff? and how to set it up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

If you are going with Sky then you don't get much say in equipment (unless you want Sky+) Just ring sky or an independent installers and as you're taking a years contract they subsidise the cost of the dish/decoder and install. satellite.ie did mine and I was very happy. You do not get ITV/C4/C5 with an Irish Sky subscription.

If you don't want to go the pay route you can get a FTA box (which basically gets BBC and lots of not so good free channels and probably ITV early next year), or buy a Sky didgibox and a UK FreeSat card to add ITV/C4/C5 to the above mix.

For every TV watching a different channel you need a different decoder, each with a wire from the dish. Sky call this multiroom and charge an extra monthly fee. Both multiroom digiboxes need to be permanently connected to a phone line to prove they remain at the one address.

You'll get more answers on the Satellite Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

thanks thats great information :)

so with a sky digibox i will get itv/c4/c5 + the BBC channels or will i need both a FTA box and a sky digibox? will the dish need to be a motorised one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

No need for a motorised dish, all english language channels are on the one satellite. You will need a quad LNB on the dish to feed more than one decoder if you want multiroom.

To get BBC/ITV/C4/C5 you will need a Sky digibox with a UK freesat card. There are grey market installers in ireland that will sell you one and install the dish as well. However as Sky are not subsidising this you will be paying in full for the dish/decoder and the installer's time. It is entirely possible to set up the dish yourself if you are in anyway competent at DIY and don't mind being up a ladder .

Advertisement