Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Dubs...

• 20-09-2005 5:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Time to throw in your vote.

Which anime had the worse dub ever?

I know most people swear by subs (and i do too mostly) but you must have peaked at the dub once or twice just to hear it.

the two worse dubs i know of are:

Love Hina -The voices are nothing like the characters and destroys the strong romantic plot in the centre of a bizarre anime.

and

Sonic X -Kids show i know, but i breifly saw it on fox kids and its not just the voices that are aweful (some are actually ok, shadow, robotnik) but the entire soundtrack was gutted and replaced with horrible cheesy music and lasers and other stupid effects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 eziite

One piece series from 70 or so was translated by different company. So there was not Luffy, but Duffy, not Chopper but Chopa etc. It was very hard to just hear it :( All the jokes was stupid as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭jd

Any of the Collins brothers (Steve,Roddy etc).
    Oh- thats not what you mean..
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The dubbing on Castle In The Sky was fairly half-arsed altogether, but James Van Der Beek as I've mentioned before, is painfull to listen to. The whole re-jigged script had a lot of unnessicary waffling aswell, scenes that had no dialogue in the Japanese version were filled with chatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I've had a breif glimpse of Girls Bravo dubbed and it sounds absolutly horrible. I'm starting to think that dubbing should be outlawed.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Heh, it'd be easier to list the good dubs...

Most of the dubs that I've listened to I have because I heard they were well done. I can't think of a particularily bad dub off the top of my head.
    Though I gurantee we will be making some absolutely atrocious ones at EirtaKon in our fandub studio ;)

• Advertisement

Although its not an Anime, special mention has to go to the Ichi The Killer dub. I sometimes watch the film like that for the sake of pure hilarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Vile

Definitely would have to be in "Love Hina Again". English dubs was set to default....and I nearly had a heart attack at the voices. Quickly change it to jap with english subs though.

Then again, I've found 90% of dubs are terrible. Only good ones were in Kenshin and Trigun (watched them originally in japanese though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Fenian

Venus Wars is very poorly dubbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Although its not an Anime, special mention has to go to the Ichi The Killer dub. I sometimes watch the film like that for the sake of pure hilarity.

Ha. I second this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Sorry to mention the most-obvious-manga-ever but the Akira dub is fairly dire. And is that the guy who did Leonardo (most annoying of the Turtles) from the Turtles animated series doing Kaneda's voice?

My favourite bad quote from that is where the scientist guy is looking at a computer graph of Akira and he goes (paraphrased) "it's gone....vanished...disappeared entirely...it is no longer there...." etc. etc. etc. For heavens sake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Although I love the show, the Dick Van Dyke interpretation of the London accent in Hellsing gets on my tits. No-one in London soundslike loveable American chimneysweeps..

Laguna wrote:
    Although I love the show, the Dick Van Dyke interpretation of the London accent in Hellsing gets on my tits. No-one in London soundslike loveable American chimneysweeps..

To be honest, the Hellsing dub is easily one of my favourites. Steven Brand, who did the voice of the Paladin Alexander Anderson was excellent! And there was a few other characters that were quite well dubbed also, but I can't think of their names offhand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

No, you got me wrong. It was the accents of some of the characters like Seras Victoria and all the other supporting less important supporting characters that irritated my fragile little ears.

Ah, but Seras Victoria sounds so adoreable. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

The dubbing on Castle In The Sky was fairly half-arsed altogether, but James Van Der Beek as I've mentioned before, is painfull to listen to. The whole re-jigged script had a lot of unnessicary waffling aswell, scenes that had no dialogue in the Japanese version were filled with chatter.

haha very good, me and my friend rented it and 10 min after, turned off the dubbing, it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 elfpoo

I have to agree about James Van Der Beek in Castle in the Sky! Anna Paquin wasn't much better. That accent goes right through me!

The new dub on Akira is far superior - Leonardo is noticeably absent. Nice!

I wasn't overly ecstatic about Nausicaa's voice either; much too immature and cartoony.

But I think that's a general flaw. Western companies need to realise that film like Nausicaa and Akira (and countless others) are mainly bought by ADULTS and that we'd prefer a more adult dub. There's still a predominat perception in the "West" that if it's animated it's just a cartoon and therefore only for kids. Of course that's just my opinion but I'm sick to death of every single female character sounding like a 5 year old schoolgirl.

Okay. Rant ending.

*barRy*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Ooh, the worst things dubbed ever are the early DBZ movies... Like "Super man in the galaxy." and "Super battle of the super saiyans." and "Super attack of the super giant super sayians with super muscles." and all the other ones with the over-use of the word 'super'. I saw the one with Brolli in it Friday on Toonami and it was ****ing halarious. Trunks sounded like a **** who has a thing for Vegeta cause basically all he says all the way through it is "FATHER!" and moaning. They all pronounced Vegeta's name wrong, sounded about 300 times more constipated than they do in the series and they don't have any of the voices that they do in the series... It was just so funny to watch and I was laughing all the way through it.
    DB, DBZ DBGT are all pretty badly dubbed aswell, aswell as Beyblade, and Yu-gi-oh and all those other ones...
    A dub I really like although most other people really dislike is Excel Saga... I love Excel's voice for some reason, and so love the Dragon Half dub. Moo...
    Oh well.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

elfpoo wrote:
    I'm sick to death of every single female character sounding like a 5 year old schoolgirl.
    Heh, really? I'm sick of hearing every five year old schoolgirl sound like a 24 year old voice actor. Funny world ;)
    Rei-chan wrote:
    A dub I really like although most other people really dislike is Excel Saga... I love Excel's voice for some reason, and so love the Dragon Half dub. Moo...
    Oh well.

Agreed on Excel Saga, you know, the VA who played her ruined her voice doing it. Heart and soul type affair, quite a bang up job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Heheh... Sailormoon ;) but it's excused for it's age.

I can't remember the last time I watched a dubbed anime; it's all subs here. And the only things I watched on Toonami were Samurai Jack & Megas XLR late-nite anyways. Oh, how I hated whenever Beyblade or *shudder* Transformers Energon came on! :mad:

Now.
    Who thinks they'll f**k up the translation for FF VII:Advent Children?! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

they shouldnt bother unless they are gonna pay good actors to do it. the subs are fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement