Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa 11

• 20-09-2005 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Well jsut saw the FIFA 11 this morning. And I dont know who picks them teams but they surely dont know much about football. Some players in there are in it for what reason? Only because of their name and past achievements in my opinion. I think in my opinion some changes

Clearly Peter Czech is better then Dida. Shown by clean sheets and goals conceeded records. And Dida just annoys me since his champions league line jumping antics a few years back.

Cafu in left back? Gabriel Heinze for me. Yes won nothing last year trophies wise but was outstanding and one of the signings of the season. Watching Cafu as of late the only thing in his locker is that he is good on the foward, but his defending leaves lots ot be desired.

And how Thierry Henry was left out the team? I think Eto would have to take the drop, yes he scored many a goal last season but I rthink Henry offers bags more in ability and skill.

O and Zinedine Zidane, yeah he was like the buzz a few years ago, but is now in a side that will probably be gone out of existence soon enough. Him out and someone else in, maybe a Steven Gerrard or another good midfielder. Damien duff?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Maybe show the team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dida
    Cafu---Nesta---Terry---Maldini
    Ronaldinho---Lampard---Makelele---Zidane
    Eto'o---Shevchenko

Young POTY: Rooney
    YPOTY (voted by supporters): C.Ronaldo
    POTY: Ronaldinho

Voted by 40,000 professional footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

interesting that not one of the european champions made it into the team.

im not dida's biggest fan so would surely have went for cech in goal. as for zidane i dont think he had the best of years last year. but hes still up there with the best on the planet atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

beyond belief how Stevey G didnt make it in.
    just realised,after checking a few stats, I share my b'day with him.... whoa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah, I'm finding it a bit odd that Gerrard wasn't picked...and I don't think it's just because I'm a Liverpool fan. He virtually dragged that Liverpool side towards the cup last season... surely that should guarantee him a place?

Oh well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I think that's a pretty damn good team. I noticed that the OP only argued about players not in the English PL. You know, there are other leagues with good players in them.

Cech is playing with the best defence in the PL. Is it any wonder he's let in no goals. I don't know enough about Dida to comment on his inclusion though.
    Some players in there are in it for what reason? Only because of their name and past achievements in my opinion.
    And Dida just annoys me since his champions league line jumping antics a few years back.
    Someone's being a little hypocritical here.

Cafu, regardless of his age is still a world class defender. That is an excellent defence and I can't think of any players that could improve it dramatically. Sure there are other players worthy of being in the line-up (Carragher) but thats a world class defence.

The only possible change in midfield would be maybe Kaka, Duff, Robben or Gerrard instead of Zidane. That's a maybe though. The rest of the midfield is world class.

Up front, I don't know enough about Eto to comment but Shevchenko is definetly worthy of a spot in the team. Henry would make my top 11 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Cafu in left back? Gabriel Heinze for me. Yes won nothing last year trophies wise but was outstanding and one of the signings of the season. Watching Cafu as of late the only thing in his locker is that he is good on the foward, but his defending leaves lots ot be desired.
    Cafu is a right-back.

I didn't think Nesta was all that great last year. I'd replace him with with one of Cannavaro/Gallas/Carragher.

Zidane's inclusion is odd to say the least. Must be a popularity thing.

Otherwise, its a good lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Give me Eto over Henry any day.
    Gerrard shouldnt be in there, well maybe ahead of lampard but not Makelele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Gerrard didn't do enough domestically to edge out Makelele or Lampard imo.
    Also Eto'o was solid in both Europe and domestically, Henry and Arsenal were poor yet again in Europe. Eto'o deserves his place imo.
    Zidane doesn't though and I reckon he's just there for the sake of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd agree with most of the team to be honest.
    For those saying dida doesn't deserve his spot, your wrong.
    When Goal Keepers like Oliver Khan, Gigi Bufon and Iker Cassilas say that they "admire" the same keeper then he has something going for him.

Zidane is included because he is regarded as one of the best players the world has ever seen and many players still blindly love him, he isn't as good as he was but he is still world class, I wouldn't have included him but then again I'm not a professional footballer so my opinion counts for squat.

The defence is just about right, only player whom I'd maybe include at the expense of one of the others is Carrager becuase it was him who won the CL for liverpool.

The midfeild is a little off.
    I'd have Kaka instead of Zidane any day.
    Lampard is a close choice, I myself don't like his over all play, but he is good at what he does, bity one dimensional for me though.

The rest picked them selves.
    Eto'o is the on form striker in world football at the moment and Shevchenko is without doubt the best striker in the world, that's reflected by the ammount of managers who want him and how high milans valuation of his contract is.

Not the team I'd pick but at the same time there isn't a whole lot wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Makes you wonder how Stevie G got voted the "most expensive player in Europe" by UEFA a few weeks ago yet can't make FIFA's top 11.

Makes a real mockery of these awards, which they are anyway.

It was most valuable player, and that award means sh!t all.
    john Dhal Tommasson won it in his last season in Holland for helping PSV to the Uefa cup final, it's not a measure of who the best player in the tourniment is, it's a measure of what player helped his club so much that without that single player the club wouldn't have done as well or got as far as they did.

Yes, it does mean sh!t all and my point is that none of these awards mean sh!t all.

Well I'd rate FifPro and The Baloon D'ior as the two most legitimate awards as they are voted but the press and the players, the two sets of people who dedicate thier lives to soccer so they (mostly) know best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Do these awards focus on european football, domestic, or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

haha my bad read the website wrong yeah cafu in right back =)

I still would have liked to see Kaka in there.

And as for other leagues, the fact is the English Fa is probably the second or best league in the world. With the best players. And besides some players like Kaka some good players that cud strengthen the team are based i nthe premiership. Unfortunatly I'm not so mad int ofootball i can scout every league i nthe world, only whats on champo and telly =P

Lemlin wrote:
    Yes, it does mean sh!t all and my point is that none of these awards mean sh!t all.
    They're voted by the players, not a panel of judges. It must be a great privilege for 40,000 professional players to vote you the best player in the world. The fact that Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Makelele, Lampard, Rooney, Ronaldo, Sven and loads more turned up to these rewards shows they care about it.

It was good to see the UEFA awards voted by the international managers and captains as you get to see who voted for who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lemlin wrote:
    Makes you wonder how Stevie G got voted the "most expensive player in Europe" by UEFA a few weeks ago yet can't make FIFA's top 11.

Makes a real mockery of these awards, which they are anyway.

Gerrard got that award for his european performances only. In the fifapro award your domectic form is counted, that probaly why gerrard didnt make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I would regard this as a more prestigious award than most others as it is voted for by the players. Fact is they know about what makes up a pro footballer better than the press or the fans.

Fan awards invariably churn up the word 'Beckham' and therefore ruin any chance of being taken seriously. :D

Press awards can be very interesting but these are the same press who have been snubbed for interviews by certain players, perhaps flavouring their views.

I do think Zidane is in their for past performances rather than last season's. Still wouldnt like to be lining up against that team on Saturday lunchtime in St. Anne's park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

lampard over gerrard, bit of a joke tbh. makelele being on the pitch flatters lampard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

The only alterations I'd make to this fantastic team are probably the midfield, kaka in for zidane and up front I'd have henry in for eto'o. The reason I believe kaka isn't in there is apparently (although I'm not sure) he is not as good in Serie A as the Champions League and plays better in the latter competition.

Makaveli wrote:
    Also Eto'o was solid in both Europe and domestically, Henry and Arsenal were poor yet again in Europe. Eto'o deserves his place imo.
    RasTa wrote:
    Give me Eto over Henry any day.

Henry won the Golden boot award in England making him england's top striker and also scored as many goals as eto'o in the CL (4 in 7appearances), so if Henry did poorly in Europe last season, so did eto'o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gangsta wrote:
    Henry won the Golden boot award in England making him england's top striker and also scored as many goals as eto'o in the CL (4 in 7appearances), so if Henry did poorly in Europe last season, so did eto'o.

Just because someone scored more than eto'o in spain doesnt take away from the fact he scored 25 goals(iirc).

If Van Nistlrooy had scored 1 goal more than Henry domestically, would that mean Henry automatically doesnt deserve the place?

I'm still of the opinion that Henry is probably the best striker in the world so I'd have him in there.

I'd also leave Lampard in ahead of Gerrard. Lampard was tremendous last year, arguably the best player in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Eto in ahead of Henry. I am very happy with that. He is younger and has a lot more potential.

Only alteration is maybe i would take out Zidane and put Adriano in...but we are dealing with gold here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

NoelRock wrote:
    Yeah, I'm finding it a bit odd that Gerrard wasn't picked...and I don't think it's just because I'm a Liverpool fan. He virtually dragged that Liverpool side towards the cup last season... surely that should guarantee him a place?

Oh well...

Course he did mate. Didnt actually play against Juve in the away game, went missing for 180 minutes against Chelsea because he's afraid to kick Lampard, but apart from that yeah he was ok :)

Cafu is muck, has been for at least 2 years.
    Nesta was dire in the Final also. These guys were picked on their name only, surely the Legend Didi Hamann deserved a shout :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Stekelly wrote:
    Just because someone scored more than eto'o in spain doesnt take away from the fact he scored 25 goals(iirc).

If Van Nistlrooy had scored 1 goal more than Henry domestically, would that mean Henry automatically doesnt deserve the place?
    People are arguing that eto'o was solid domestically and in europe. Henry was top scorer in England, therefore the best striker in England obviously. Also if Eto'o was solid in Europe and Henry scored as many as Eto'o in the same number of appearances that implies that Henry was just as solid as Eto'o in Europe so Henry was in better form last season. Basic maths really.

Well as far as I can remember RVN was top scorer was year with 10goals in the CL (I think) and if he scored more than Henry then yes because he would have been the in-form striker in Europe.

Eto'o actually got more votes than Shevchenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Cisse has more goals this season than Jamie Carragher but I still think Carragher is a far better player. The strikers are not picked because of their stats. Statistics can be misleading. Eto was voted by fellow footballers and analysts based on his performances which believe it or not goes beyond "how may goals he scores".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Any award show that has Racheal Stevens and the one and only Sean Paul performing at it definitely gets my vote for most pointless football awards ever.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote:
    Statistics can be misleading.

Exactly.
    christiano lucarelli was the top scorer in Italy last year.
    It's commonly agreed that Italy is the hardest place in the world for strikers to score, but does that mean that christiano lucarelli is a better striker than Adriano, Shevchenko, Vieri, Trezergut, Toni and Zlatan? Feck no it doesn't it means he was Perugias lone srriker with Espotio feeding him balls that Francis Jeffers could have lived off!

Eto'o is in there because he socred 26 league goals when he had to play a number of games as either a second striker or on the left and right wings because Rjikard likes to switch his team around, and you have to remember he was droped a lot towards the end of last season to accomidate Leo Messi, that makes it even more impressive.

Advertisement